Where We Are

74: What Do I Have To Do?

Turning the page of the book which sat in her lap, Maia let out a quiet yawn, her eyes stinging slightly as she attempted to focus on the text which filled the page. It was late for her, usually, she tended to favour early nights rather than late ones, but that night she couldn’t seem to fall asleep, something which had led to her settling down on the couch rather than climbing into bed beside Iker.

It wasn’t the first night, since she had arrived in Italy a little over a month previous, she had had a few nights where she had struggled to sleep, and it bothered her, even if the nights had been few and far between. It bothered her that she couldn’t seem to shake the feeling of homesickness which had lingered in the pit of her stomach. It wasn’t something she had struggled with before, when she had been travelling for work, she had very rarely gotten homesick, and it worried her that she couldn’t shake it, even if she had tried to. The small knot in her stomach didn’t seem to be going anywhere.

Allowing another quiet yawn to fall out of her mouth, she rubbed her eyes tiredly before she moved to close her book, settling it down on the coffee table before she rested her head back against the couch, squeezing her eyes closed for a few seconds.

“I think you’d be a lot more comfortable upstairs”

Maia, who’d been enjoying the quiet which filled the living room, visibly flinched at the sound of Iker’s voice before she lifted her head, offering a small look towards where he stood, leaning casually against the doorframe which led into the room. “I didn’t mean to make you jump” he noted “I just noticed that you’d not come up to bed and I thought I’d come and see where you’d gotten to. Are you planning on joining me at some point?” he posed, his voice caught between curious and teasing.

Maia stared at him for a few seconds, surprised to see him awake, before she shook her head, forcing a small laugh out. “I didn’t realize how late it had gotten” she noted “I’ll be right up” she added.

Iker frowned, not missing the falseness in her laugh, before he shook his head, a soft sigh falling out of his mouth. “What’s wrong?” he posed.

Maia shook her head. “It’s nothing, Iker” she noted “I just lost track of time. I’ll be right up” she added as she pushed herself up to her feet, moving to step out of the room.

Iker watched her for a second before he stepped into her path, gently settling his hand against her wrist as she attempted to walk past him. “You’re the worst liar, Maia” he mused.

“Iker...”

“I know you’re lying” Iker noted with a half-smile, cutting her off “I can see it all over your face. You’re not good enough at lying to get away with it around me, so why don’t you just tell me what’s wrong? You never know, I might be able to help” he added, his hand gently squeezing her wrist. He knew that there was something bothering her, since she had arrived in Florence, she had been more distant and quiet than usual, and he wanted to know what was going on. He wanted to help her fix it.

Maia, who’d dropped her stare down towards the hand which held onto her wrist, briefly contemplated insisting that it was nothing before she shook her head, her blue eyes peeking up towards him tentatively. “You really want to know?” she posed gently.

Iker nodded. “Of course I do” he insisted.

Maia spared him a slightly tentative glance before she shook her head, mumbling something beneath her breath that Iker didn’t quite catch.

“What was that?” he posed, a small frown on his face.

Maia chewed on her lip for a moment before she sighed. “I’m homesick” she mumbled softly, trying to avoid his stare.

Iker blinked a couple of times, slightly surprised by her words, before he gently shifted his hand, dropping his hold on her wrist so that he could knot their fingers together. “You’re homesick?” he asked gently.

Maia nodded. “You’re going to think it’s silly” she mumbled “I mean, I used to make a living by travelling from place to place, but at the end of it all, I always ended up back in Porto, and I miss it. Is that stupid?” she posed, looking up at him nervously.

Iker noted the nerves on her face before he shook his head, gently squeezing her hand in his. “Not at all” he dismissed quickly “I felt the same when I left Madrid for Porto, but you grow to get used to it. It’s been a month, Maia, you just need to give it time” he added encouragingly.

He wasn’t surprised, the idea that Maia was homesick wasn’t the biggest shock to him, but he wanted to try and encourage her to relax a little. It hadn’t been long, she had only been in Florence for a month, and he was sure that she would settle in if she gave it time. It was an adjustment, but it was one that he was sure that she could make.

Maia glanced at him uncertainly, something which caused him to let out a soft sigh, his hand gently squeezing hers once more. “What can I do?” he asked.

“What?” Maia asked.

“What do I have to do to make you feel more comfortable?” Iker clarified “Do you want me to fly your parents out for a few days? Do you want me to fly you home for a few days? Whatever it is, just say the word and I will do it. I am not surprised that you feel homesick, Maia, if anything, I would have been surprised if you didn’t, and if I need to do something, anything, to make you feel more comfortable about being here, then I want to do it” he insisted as he carefully lifted his hand, cupping it around her cheek as he traced the line of her cheekbone with his thumb.

Maia leant into his hand slightly before she shook her head. “You don’t have to do that” she mumbled “I am sure it’ll pass” she added.

“I am too” Iker noted “But I want to help to make you feel comfortable, Maia. I don’t like the idea of you being unhappy” he added kindly.

Maia’s cheeks warmed a little at his words before she offered him a small smile. “I’d love to see my parents” she murmured “Even if they just come out for a couple of days. I’d like to see them” she added.

Iker mirrored her timid smile before he nodded. “I am sure that that can be arranged” he noted “You should call them in the morning to make arrangements” he added.

Maia nodded. “I will do” she mused “But right now, I am going to head up to the bathroom to get ready for bed. I’ll see you up there?” she posed.

Iker nodded. “I’ll be right up” he enthused.

Maia flashed him another small smile before she moved to step away, only to stop after a couple of steps. “Iker?” she noted, peeking back over her shoulder

“Yeah?” Iker posed.

“Gracias” Maia quipped with a soft smile before she padded away, making her way up the stairs.

Iker watched after her for a couple of seconds before he let out a quiet sigh, wordlessly hoping that she would eventually get used to how things had changed.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Jayme112234 for the comment :)