Where We Are

75: She Loves You

Nibbling on her lip, Maia allowed her eyes to scan around the airport, searching for any sign of her mother or father. It had been a few days, after she and Iker had talked, she had been quick to call her mother and make arrangements for their visit, and she was looking forwards to seeing them, even if she was sure that their visit would be accompanied by a barrage of questions, she was looking forwards to spending some time with them.

She knew that it was a little silly, the idea that she was already homesick seemed odd to her, but she was hopeful that her parents’ visit would help her to shake it, even if they were only due to be in town for a couple of days. She had little doubt that her mother and father would be good at trying to soothe her nerves.

Placing her hands into her pockets, she spared another quick gander around the airport before the sound of someone clearing their throat reached her ears, causing her to turn slightly, her blue eyes quickly settling on her mother who stood a little away from her, a fond smile on her lips. Returning Carolina’s smile softly, she padded towards the older woman before she wrapped her arms around her, offering her a tight hug. “Mama” she greeted “It is good to see you” she added.

Carolina hugged her back tightly before she took a pace back, admiring the brunette with a soft smile. “It’s good to see you too, sweetheart” she mused “Although, I was a little surprised to receive an invitation so soon. Is everything OK?” she posed, her voice softening slightly.

It had caught her off guard, the invitation to visit Maia and Iker in Florence had come out of the blue, and whilst Carolina was looking forwards to spending time with her daughter and grandchildren, she wanted to know why Maia had called.

Maia blinked a couple of times, surprised that the question had arisen so quickly, but she didn’t comment, instead fixing a small smile on her lips. “I need a reason to invite my parents to visit?” she posed.

Carolina shrugged. “It’s just a little sudden, Maia” she noted “And I know you. Sudden isn’t very you, sweetheart, so, is there something up?” she posed, sparing a small look over Maia’s shoulder towards Hector who stood a little away from them, giving them a little privacy. She knew that there was something wrong, the look on Maia’s face screamed it, and she wanted to offer her the chance to talk about it, even if she was sure that Maia would insist that it was nothing. She wanted her to know that she knew that there was something up.

Maia spared her a soft look, briefly contemplating insisting that there was nothing the matter, before she let out a soft sigh, nervously tucking a few loose hairs behind her ear. “I miss home” she mused quietly.

Carolina tilted her head. “You’re homesick?” she posed as she wrapped her arm around Maia’s, leading her towards Hector who waited patiently.

Maia quirked a sad smile. “It’s silly, no?” she posed.

Carolina’s expression softened slightly before she shook her head, her arm gently offering Maia’s a light squeeze. “It’s not silly” she noted “This move...it’s one of the biggest things to have happened to you, and it is OK to be not be so sure about it. It is new, Maia, very new, and it was always going to take some time to get used to, but if you need help with that, then me and your papa, we’re there for you” she insisted with a look towards Hector who nodded, a warm smile on his face.

“Whatever you need” the older man mused “We’re more than happy to do it. You just give us the word, sweetheart” he added.

Maia looked between her parents briefly, not missing the warm smiles on their faces, before she shook her head, a soft grin pulling at the corner of her mouth. “You two are pretty great, you know that?” she mumbled shyly.

Hector laughed. “That might be the nicest thing you’ve ever said to us” he quipped.

Maia rolled her eyes playfully before she felt her phone vibrate in her pocket, something which caused her to shake her head gently. “That’s our cue to get moving” she noted “Did you have more bags that you needed to get?” she posed.

“We packed pretty light” Carolina mused.

Maia nodded. “We should go then” she mused “I am sure that you’re itching to see Charlie and Ella again” she added before she padded towards the exit, her mother and father in pursuit.

~#~
Wiping over the plate which sat in his hand, Iker lifted his stare, his dark eyes peeking out of the window and into the garden where Maia sat, playing contently with Ella. It had been a busy afternoon, with Carolina and Hector around, the usually quiet house had been a lot more active than usual, but the keeper had enjoyed it, especially since it had put a smile on Maia’s face, a sight which he had missed. He knew that it wasn’t going to be fixed quickly, Maia’s homesickness wasn’t something which was simply going to fade overnight, but he was hopeful that she would get over it, even if it did take a few visits from her parents. He wanted to ensure that she was as comfortable as she could be.

Watching Maia with Ella for a few seconds, he quirked a soft smile to himself before a laugh reached his ears, causing him to whip round, his dark eyes settling on Hector who stood in the doorway, an amused look on his face. “You look happy” he quipped.

Iker smiled sheepishly, something which made Hector laugh once more before he stepped a little deeper into the room, patting his shoulder jovially. “You and Maia have a beautiful family” he complimented.

“We do” Iker agreed “But I think that’s more on her than me. She’s a beautiful woman, Hector, and our children take after her” he added earnestly.

Hector smiled at the warmth in the younger man’s voice, but didn’t say anything, something which allowed Iker to flick his attention back towards the window. “She told you why she called?” he posed, breaking the quiet which had settled between the two of them.

Hector, who’d been staring out of the window, nodded. “She did” he confirmed “Is it something which worries you?” he posed.

Iker briefly contemplated lying, insisting that it wasn’t a concern of his, but he opted against it, offering the older man a hesitant nod. “I know that it would be a last resort” he noted “I know Maia, she’s not going to give up easily, but...but it does worry me that she might opt to give in and go back to Porto. It’s a huge adjustment, Hector, and I worry that if she doesn’t start warming to it soon...” he trailed off, sparing the older man a gently look.

Hector met his stare for a moment before he gently lifted his hand, patting his shoulder once more. “She’s not going to go anywhere, Iker” he noted.

“Hector...”

“You’re right” Hector interrupted “It is a big adjustment, and right now, Maia is struggling with it, but she’s not going to go anywhere, not if it means causing trouble between the two of you. She loves you too much for that” he added, his voice slightly firm.

Iker lifted an eyebrow. “You think so?” he posed.

Hector nodded. “I know so” he quipped “She’s in love with you, Iker, and I have no doubt that she will do whatever it takes to make sure that things between the two of you remain as good as they are now, even if it does mean sticking it out for a while. She’d do it if it meant that you two got to stay together” he insisted warmly.

Iker offered him another slightly dubious look before the sound of Carolina’s voice filled the air, causing the older man to shake his head. “I should get back outside” he noted “You’ll join us soon?” he asked.

“Of course” Iker quipped.

Hector flashed him a small reassuring smile before he stepped out of the room, something which made Iker sigh gently, hoping that the older man was right.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Jayme112234 for the comment :)