Where We Are

76: You’re Here

Allowing a quiet yawn to fall out of his mouth, Iker shifted his weight slightly, trying not to wake Charlie who slept in his arms. It had been a long day, with Hector and Carolina around and intent on spending time with him, Maia and the children, the house had appeared busier than normal, and whilst it had been hard for Iker to get more than a couple of seconds to himself, he hadn’t minded, especially since the presence of her parents had caused Maia to relax and smile a little more, a sight which was welcome to keeper. He knew that it hadn’t fixed the problem, the chances were that, for a while, Maia was going to feel homesick, but he hoped that it was start, even if it was only likely to be a small step. He wanted to help her feel as comfortable as possible.

Readjusting his back against the pillow, he rested his head against the headboard for a second before he closed his eyes, enjoying the quiet which filled the room for a moment before the sound of footsteps reached his ears, causing him to look up, watching as Maia edged into the room quietly. “Has everyone else gone to bed?” he asked.

Maia, who’d been trying to close the bedroom door quietly, lifted her head at the sound of Iker’s voice before turned to look at him, a small smile creeping onto her lips as she admired him and Charlie. “My parents headed to the guest room about half an hour ago” she mused as she padded towards the bed, sitting down on the edge of it “And I’ve just looked in on Ella. She’s sound asleep. Has he been asleep for long?” she asked, sparing a look down towards Charlie who stirred gently.

Iker followed the line of her look, watching the little boy for a moment, before he shook his head. “It took a while to get him settled” he mused “But he’s been asleep for about twenty minutes now and I was going to give it another couple before I tried to move him into the crib. Are you staying up here?” he posed.

Maia, who’d moved to let her hair out of the ponytail which it had been tied into, nodded. “I was thinking about it” she mused “It’s been a pretty long day and a part of me is looking forwards to an early night. You feel like joining me? You look like you could us it” she added, offering him a small smile over her shoulder.

Iker glanced at her, briefly mulling over her offer, before a small yawn crept out of his mouth, something which made Maia’s smile widen slightly. “I am going to take that as a yes, you know” she mused.

Iker rolled his eyes playfully, something which made Maia giggle before she pushed herself up to her feet, padding out of the room and towards the bathroom. Iker watched after her briefly before he carefully stood up, allowing him to pad across the room before he gently lowered Charlie down into his crib.

Charlie, who’d been happily asleep against Iker’s chest, let out a soft whine, but settled quickly, something which made the goalkeeper smile before he ducked down, pressing a soft kiss against the top of the baby’s head. “Buenos noches, Charlie” he murmured.

“Do you mind me borrowing this?”

Iker, who’d been watching Charlie sleep, jumped at the sound of Maia’s voice before he turned around, his dark eyes settling on the t-shirt of his that she wore. “Huh?” he posed.

Maia quirked a small smile before she shook her head. “Do you mind me borrowing this t-shirt?” she asked “I mean, I can change, if you’d prefer, but I’m a little warm and I don’t really want to put on a set of pajamas. Is it OK if I wear this?” she posed, her voice slightly sheepish.

Iker stared at her for a couple of seconds, his dark eyes looking her up and down, before he shook his head, a small grin on his face. “You look amazing” he quipped.

Maia’s cheeks flushed pink. “What?” she babbled.

Iker offered her a boyish smile before he stepped towards her, gently settling his hands on her waist before he leant forwards, pressing their foreheads together. “You look great” he mumbled “I like that t-shirt on you” he added, brushing his nose against hers.

The blush on Maia’s cheeks darkened a little at the amorous action before she shook her head, dropping her stare down towards her feet shyly. “What’s gotten into you?” she asked, her voice caught between teasing and curious.

Iker lifted an eyebrow. “I’m not allowed to compliment my fiancée?” he posed impishly.

Maia offered him a small playful glare, something which made Iker chuckle softly before he dropped his hands, slotting their fingers together. “I spoke to your papa earlier” he mused.

“You did?” Maia asked.

Iker nodded. “He sort of snuck up on me” he noted “But we did get talking and I guess he said some things that made me feel a little better” he explained. It had caught him off guard, the conversation that he had had with Maia’s father had come out of the blue, but a small part of him was relieved that they had had it. It had reassured him, Hector’s insistence that Maia wasn’t going anywhere had soothed his nerves slightly, and he was grateful to the older man who seemed to have a knack for knowing the right thing to say to him.

Maia stared up at him for a moment, mulling over his words, before she tilted her head, a small frown pulling at the corner of her mouth. “Feel better?” she posed confusedly.

Iker noted the tone of confusion in her voice before he shrugged. “I was worried” he muttered “You feeling homesick, it worried me, and it got me thinking, perhaps stupidly, that there was a chance that you might change your mind about being here. I know I am getting ahead of myself, I know that you’re not one to quit easily, but...but it was a thought which had crossed my mind” he admitted, peeking at her timidly.

Maia frowned. “You really thought that?” she asked.

Iker shrugged. “Is it really that farfetched?” he posed.

Maia allowed his question to hang around them briefly before she shook her head, her eyes settling on their interlaced hands. “It isn’t easy right now” she admitted quietly “This...being here rather than at home, it’s harder than I thought it would be, but leaving? Iker, it’s never even crossed my mind” she added, gently squeezing his hand.

Iker glanced down towards their hands. “It hasn’t?” he asked.

Maia shook her head without hesitation. “You’re right, it’s not the most farfetched idea, but it isn’t one that’s crossed my mind. You’ve made a lot of compromises to be with me, Iker, since we’ve got together, you’ve been nothing short of supportive and loving, and I want to be that for you, even if it isn’t the easiest thing right now. I want to be here, because you’re here, and that’s not going change” she insisted gently, a soft smile on her face.

Iker was quiet for a seconds, mulling over her words, before he shook his head, a light nervous laugh falling out of his mouth, a sound which made Maia’s smile widen before she stepped towards him, pressing a soft kiss against his lips. Iker stilled at the contact, not expecting it, but he quickly warmed to it, kissing her back for a few moments before he pulled away, resting his head against hers. “I love you” he mumbled.

Maia smiled up at him softly before she pushed herself up onto her toes, stealing another light kiss. “I love you too” she mumbled between soft kisses. She wasn’t surprised that he was worried, if either one of them had proven to be a worrier throughout their relationship, then it had been Iker, but she hoped that she had calmed his worries at least a little.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Jayme112234 and FootieJo for the comments :)