Where We Are

79: As Good As It Gets

Letting out a quiet yawn, Maia stirred slightly in her seat, her forehead furrowing at the feel of a nudge against her shoulder. It was early, with the season’s winter break having arrived, Iker had been quick to suggest that they travel to Madrid for the holidays, and Maia had agreed with him, especially after they’d arranged for her mother and father to join them. It had been months, after their initial visit to Florence, Maia hadn’t seen her mother or father face to face in a while, and she was looking forwards to it, even if her father had already teasingly warned her that her mother only wanted to discuss the few wedding plans that she and Iker had made. She was looking forwards to spending some time with both her family and Iker’s.

Wrinkling her nose slightly, she frowned at the feel of someone nudging her shoulder before she turned her head, her blue eyes peeking up at Iker who stared down at her, a familiar warm smile on his face. “I’m sorry for disturbing you” he noted “But you need to wake up. We’ll be landing in a few minutes” he added.

Maia stared up at him sleepily, trying to process his words, before she nodded, allowing a tired yawn to slip out of her mouth. “I’m sorry for falling asleep” she mumbled “I guess I was just a little tired. Have Charlie and Ella been OK?” she posed as she reached her hands up, attempting to smooth out her slightly messy hair.

Iker watched her, a fond smile on his lips, before he nodded. “They’ve been fine” he quipped “Like their mama, they’ve been asleep pretty much since we took off” he added.

Maia offered him a slightly dubious look before she shook her head. “I’m sorry for falling asleep” she repeated.

Iker scoffed amusedly. “You don’t have to be” he returned “You were tired and you fell asleep. I’ll try not to hold it against you” he quipped playfully.

Maia rolled her eyes, but couldn’t keep herself from smiling, something which made Iker chuckle before he moved his hand, gently twining their fingers together. “You looking forwards to the next few days?” he asked, gently brushing his thumb over the back of her hand. He knew that she was, for a few days, she had been chattering about their trip, and he was pleased to see her so excited. It had taken some time, after her move to Italy, it had taken her a couple of months to settle into things, and he was pleased with the progress that she had made, even if she did still seem a little homesick from time to time. He was glad that she had settled in.

Maia, who was watching the movement of his thumb, shrugged. “It’ll be good to see everyone again” she mused “It’s been a while since we were in the same room” she added.

Iker nodded. “It has” he mused “And I am sure that they’re looking forwards to seeing us, in particular our mothers. My papa has suggested that mine is very eager to talk about wedding plans” he added.

Maia shook her head amusedly. “My papa has said a very similar thing” she mused.

Iker offered her hand a soft squeeze. “You looking forwards to talking about it?” he posed.

“A little” Maia admitted “Don’t get me wrong, the conversations we’ve had, they’ve been good, but I am looking forwards to hearing someone else’s opinions. We’ve not got a lot, but it would like their input” she added, messing with his fingers shyly.

Iker allowed her to play with his fingers briefly before he lifted her hand, allowing him to press a soft kiss against the warm skin. “I’m sure they’ll be excited to hear about it” he mused encouragingly.

Maia flashed him a small smile before the tannoy system cracked into life, informing them that they were only minutes away from landing.

~#~
“So”

Maia, who was quietly reading, smirked to herself at the sound of her mother’s voice before she lifted her head, watching as Carolina, accompanied by Carmen, edged into the living room. It had been a good afternoon, after she and Iker had landed, they’d made their way to his parents’ home for lunch, and Maia had enjoyed the opportunity to catch up with their families. It had been a while since they’d been in the same room.

Smirking, she watched the two older women into the room, before she closed her book, sitting up slightly. “So?” she quipped impishly.

Carolina noted the smirk on her daughter’s face before she shook her head, quickly settling down onto the couch at her side. “Wedding plans” she mused “A little bird told us that you’ve started to make them” she added.

“By a little bird, I am assuming that you mean Iker?” Maia quipped.

Carmen quirked a fond smile before she nodded. “He’s pretty excited” she mused “It’s very cute” she added.

Maia’s cheeks flushed a soft shade of pink before she reached up, timidly tucking a few loose hairs behind her ear. “We’ve come up with a couple of things” she admitted after a moment of quiet “I mean, nothing’s set in stone, but we’ve got ideas. You want to hear them?” she posed, her voice caught between timid and playfully.

Carolina nodded eagerly. “Of course we do” she enthused “Have you two chosen a date?” she pressed.

Maia smiled. “Next June” she revealed “We both like the idea of a summer wedding” she added.

“Have you got any ideas about where you want to do it?” Carmen posed.

“It’s something we’ve talked about” Maia replied “And we’ve agreed that we’d like to do it here, in Madrid” she revealed.

Carolina tilted her head. “Madrid?” she posed.

Maia nodded. “It means a lot to Iker” she explained “And I want the day to be a good one for him too. He asked if we could do it here, and I said that we could” she added, a fond smile appearing on her lips at the mention of her boyfriend.

Carolina studied the expression which had appeared on her daughter’s face before she shook her head, a soft awed smile on her lips. “You’re really going to marry him, aren’t you?” she posed.

Maia, who’d been talking quietly to Carmen, frowned. “What?” she posed confusedly.

Carolina shrugged. “You and Iker...it’s come a long way in the last couple of years, and I guess I am just amazed. It doesn’t seem like that long ago you two were broken up, and now look at you. You’re planning a wedding, Maia” she expressed excitedly.

Maia let out a small bashful laugh before she shook her head, neatly re-tucking her hair behind her ear. “It is a little hard to believe” she admitted gently “I mean, you’re right, mama, it’s been a pretty busy couple of years, but it feels like the right thing. We’ve had our moments, both me and Iker will be the first ones to admit it, but it’s been a pretty wonderful couple of years, Mama, and I know that I am ready to take the next step. I want to marry him, Mama” she insisted bashfully.

Carolina stared at her for a second, processing her words, before she shuffled across the couch, wrapping her daughter in a tight hug. “Good” she mumbled “Because that man...he’s about as good as it gets. You’d be pretty stupid to let him go” she fussed with a warm grin.

Maia laughed gently before she shook her head. “I know I would be” she mused.

Carolina offered her another smile before she moved back towards her seat, quipping a comment about wanting to hear the rest of Maia’s wedding plans. Maia smiled pleasantly before she obliged, happily divulging the few the plans that she and Iker had come up with. It was a slightly odd thought, the idea that she and Iker were thinking about their wedding was one which still felt slightly unfamiliar to her, but she was excited more than nervous, something which made her more confident that it was likely to be right step for them.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Jayme112234 and FootieJo for the comments :)