Where We Are

82: So What?

Staring up at the wardrobe which stood across the room from him, Iker pushed a hand back through his hair, his dark eyes not shifting away from the suit which had been neatly hung up on the door. It had come around quickly, his and Maia’s wedding day had arrived a lot quicker than he had been expecting that it would, and he couldn’t deny that he was nervous, even if a large part of him was looking forwards to the moment that he and Maia finally got married.

He couldn’t deny that there was a small part of him which was worried about messing up. He knew that it didn’t matter, for weeks, Maia had been insisting that she didn’t care if one of them got their vows wrong or if one of them tripped, but still he wanted it to go off without a hitch, something which had caused a knot to form in the pit of his stomach, one he doubted would dissolve until he and Maia had made it through the ceremony.

Pushing his hand back through his hair, he scratched the back of his neck sheepishly before he shook his head, mumbling a small comment to himself about how silly he was being. He knew that Maia was excited, as the weeks had passed, she had grown more and more enthusiastic about the idea of their day arriving, and he wanted to ensure that things lived up to her expectations, even if she had insisted that he didn’t have to worry. He wanted to give her a day that she would look back on in years to come and grin about.

Offering the suit another tentative look, he tried to swallow the lump in his throat before the buzz of his phone reached his ears, causing him to let out a slightly aggrieved sigh. Shaking his head, he made his way up the bed before he lifted his phone up from its spot on the end table, pressing it against his ear without so much as a glance towards the screen. “What?” he grumbled.

“Hola to you too” Maia’s voice chirped.

Iker blinked a couple of times, surprised to hear her voice, before he let out a soft sigh, shaking his head. “Sorry” he mumbled “I didn’t check the ID. I wasn’t exactly expecting your call” he babbled as he leant back against the mattress, resting his head comfortably against the pillow which sat behind him.

“I know you weren’t” Maia quipped “But I called your mother this morning, to ask how you were doing, and she said that she thought you were nervous. I thought I’d call to check in with you” she added, her voice soft and soothing. She knew that he was on edge, for a few days, he had a looked uncomfortable and nervous, and she wanted to encourage him to talk to her about it, even if she was almost certain that he would dismiss it as nothing. She wanted to try and soothe his nerves.

Iker, who’d moved to rub the bridge of his nose, scoffed. “You didn’t have to do that” he noted softly “Aren’t you busy?” he added.

“Not really” Maia replied “We’ve got to get ready soon, but my parents have tried to keep most of the day light. They’re watching Ella and Charlie for me whilst I sit in my room, reading. What about you? What are you up to?” she posed.

Iker shifted slightly, trying to get comfortable, before he shrugged. “Not much” he mused “I’m trying to avoid the fussing” he added.

Maia let out a small laugh. “You’re trying to avoid the fussing?” she quipped, her voice slightly incredulous “Iker, it is our wedding day. I think people are going to make a fuss for most of the day” she added teasingly.

Iker was quiet for a couple of seconds, mulling over her words, before he let out a sigh, something which made Maia sigh in return. “You’re really nervous, aren’t you?” she posed softly.

Iker noted the softness in her voice before he shook his head, lifting his stare back towards the suit which was hung up across the room. “Is it that obvious?” he mumbled.

“You’re not very subtle, Iker” Maia pointed out “But you know that you have nothing to be worried about, right?” she asked.

“Maia...”

“Iker, I really don’t care about how things go today” Maia interrupted softly “I don’t care if I tear my dress, or if you lose your tie, because the little details, they’re not the important part of today. In a few hours, I am going to look at you and address you for the very time as my husband, and that is a thought which makes me smile, and that’s all I care about today. So what if there are hiccups? It’ll be a story to tell” she insisted, her voice warm and enthusiastic.

Iker frowned. “You mean that?” he quipped curiously.

“I do” Maia replied “I mean, would I prefer things to go off without a hitch? Of course I would. But if there is to be a bump, so what? I’d still get to marry you, right?” she asked brightly.

Iker smiled a little at her words before he nodded. “Of course” he noted “I’m kind of keen on the idea of us getting married” he added.

Maia let out a soft giggle before the sound of a knock at her door filtered down the phone, something which made Iker’s grin widen a fraction. “You have to go?” he posed, listening to the sound of her shuffling across the room before Alex’s voice flowed down the line.

Maia mumbled something, clearly talking to Alex, before she let out a playfully dramatic sigh. “Apparently, it’s going to take a while to fix my hair and makeup, meaning that, as much as I like talking to you, I have somewhere else I need to be. If I waste more time, I am pretty sure that Alex will actually confiscate my phone, by force if she has to” she explained.

“I wouldn’t put it past her” Iker quipped playfully.

Maia laughed gently. “Neither would I” she agreed “But right now, I’d like to keep my maid of honor onside, so I think I am going to go. You know that I love you, right?” she posed.

Iker smiled to himself. “I know” he mused “And you know that I love you too?” he asked.

“I do” Maia confirmed “I’ll see you at the end of the aisle, Iker” she fussed softly before she said a quick goodbye, hanging up the phone.

Iker kept his phone pressed against his ear for a second before he pulled away, staring down at the screen which was filled with a picture of him and Maia. It was a recent one, the picture that he had opted to have as his wallpaper was one that he and Maia had taken a couple of weeks earlier on his birthday, and it bought a smile to his lips, something which reassured him that marrying Maia was what he wanted to do.