Where We Are

83: Butterflies

“Are you nearly done pulling on my hair?” Maia posed as she looked at Alex via the mirror which stood ahead of her, a bright smile playing on her lips. It had been long day, with her and Iker having opted to stage their wedding in the evening, Maia had spent most of the day simply wishing hours away, and with the moment that she made her way up the aisle approaching quickly, she found herself growing more and more excited, something she knew was written all over her face. It surprised her, for a while, she had been certain that she would spend most of the morning feeling nervous and uncertain, but she was glad that she felt so calm, especially since Iker seemed to be doing enough worrying for the two of them. She was relieved by how calm and composed she felt.

Alex, who had moved to pin another piece of Maia’s dark hair into place, rolled her eyes slightly. “I’m trying to help you look as beautiful as you can” she pointed out “Would you like me to leave it half finished?” she added, her voice slightly sarcastic.

Maia offered her a playful glare via the mirror before she let out a soft laugh, something which made Alex smile as she gathered another piece of Maia’s hair into her hands, neatly clipping it into place. “You know” she mused after a beat of silence “I was expecting you to be a lot more worked up. You know that getting married is a pretty big deal, right?” she asked, her voice caught between playful and curious. She was surprised, for as long as she had known Maia, the brunette had had a tendency to get worked up before big events, and she was amazed by how calm she was. A large part of Alex had been expecting Maia to develop at least a mild case of cold feet.

Maia, who’d moved to take a sip on the glass of champagne that she had been plied with, snorted out a small laugh. “I am aware of that” she quipped “But surprisingly, I don’t really feel nervous. I mean, of course there are a few butterflies, but I think that that is more likely to be excitement rather than anything else. Besides, from the phone call that I had with Iker earlier, I am pretty convinced that he’s nervous enough for the both of us” she added warmly.

Alex smiled fondly at the thought of Iker being nervous. “You know that I like him, right?” she posed, gently adjusting a few loose hairs around Maia’s face.

Maia nodded. “I’m glad that you do” she mused warmly “And I am glad that you nudged me towards him. I needed it” she added.

Alex shrugged, a nonchalant smirk on her lips. “I’ve always said that I was a good matchmaker” she teased.

Maia rolled her eyes playfully before Alex gently patted her shoulders. “I think I am done with your hair” she mused “So, why don’t we get that dress on you?” she added, sparing a look towards the dress which was hung up a little away from them.

Maia followed the line of stare before she pushed herself up to her feet, moving to collect the dress. Smiling a little to herself, she gently pulled it out of the dress bag before she stepped into it, pulling the soft material up her body. Alex, who was stood a little away from her, watched her pull the dress on before she took a pace towards her, helping her to slip the zip up her back. “You still sure that the short dress is the way to go?” she posed, an impish smile pulling at the corner of her mouth.

Maia, who’d been quietly adjusting the skirt of her dress, scoffed. “You were the one who insisted I get this one” she pointed out.

Alex let out a small laugh before she gently took a hold of Maia’s arm, turning her so that they stood face to face. “You look amazing, Maia” she insisted sincerely “Iker’s very lucky” she added.

Maia blushed gently, something which made Alex grin before she stepped towards her, pulling her into a tight hug. “I’m so happy for you, Maia” she insisted.

Maia hugged her back tightly for a second before the sound of a gasp reached her ears, causing her to duck back slightly, her stare landing on her mother who stood in the doorway, her hands clasped over her mouth. “Mama?” she squeaked.

Carolina simply shook her head, something which made Maia giggle before she stepped towards her, gently taking both of her hands in hers. “How do you think I look, mama?” she posed with a small, impish smile.

Carolina opened and closed her mouth a couple of times, trying to make a sound, before she shook her head. “You...you look so beautiful, sweetheart” she fussed gently.

Maia’s already pink cheeks darkened before she dropped her stare, something which made Carolina smile warmly before she stepped towards her, lightly cupping her daughter’s cheek. “I have something for you” she mused.

“You do?” Maia posed, shifting her feet slightly.

Carolina nodded her head gently before she stepped away, returning seconds later with a small box. “It was something which your grandmother, your papa’s mama, gave to me before I married him and I think she would want it to go to you now that you’re getting married” she added, lightly pressing the box into Maia’s palm.

Maia glanced down at it for a second before she flipped open the lid, a soft smile appearing on her lips. “It’s beautiful” she fussed “Alex, do you think you could put it in my hair?” she posed, sparing a brief glance towards the ginger girl.

Alex nodded her head swiftly before she stepped forwards, taking the hairclip out of its box before she clipped it into Maia’s dark hair.

Maia flinched slightly, feeling a small tug on her hair, before she lifted her head, offering her mother a timid smile. “It looks good, right?” she posed.

“It looks wonderful, Maia” Carolina complimented “As do you. That boy’s not going to know what’s hit him” she enthused.

Maia let out a small shy giggle before the sound of her father’s voice filtered into the room, informing them that it was time to get moving. Taking in a breath, she allowed the words to hang in the air for a couple of seconds, before she felt a hand squeeze her own, something which caused her to lift her head, not missing the reassuring smile that Alex wore on her lips. “You’ve got this” the ginger woman enthused.

Maia returned her smile gently before she nodded her head, signaling that she was ready to go.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Jayme1112234 and FootieJo for the comments :)