Where We Are

84: The Bride & Groom

Fiddling with the petals of the flowers which made up her bouquet, Maia spared a quiet sigh, her blue eyes watching the scenery which passed by the window of the car she sat in. She knew that they were getting close, her mother had informed her a few minutes previous that they were only about ten minutes away from arriving, and the idea that she was only minutes away from making her way up the aisle had caused a knot to form in her stomach, something which had come as no surprise to her.

She knew that there was no reason to be nervous, as far as she was concerned, the only part of the day that mattered was that she and Iker walked away, married, but still the idea of walking up the aisle unsettled her, even if she was sure that things would work out. She couldn’t seem to shake the butterflies which thumped in the pit of her stomach.

Allowing the petal to slip through her fingers, she readjusted herself in her seat before she felt a hand on her own, something which caused her to peek towards her father, not missing the reassuring grin which had appeared on his lips. “You doing OK?” he asked softly.

Maia scoffed playfully before she dropped her stare back towards the bouquet of flowers that she held, her fingers timidly playing with the ribbon which had been tied around the flower stems. “What gave me away?” she asked.

“You can’t sit still” Hector noted “And you keep messing with those flowers, so much so, I am tempted to take them off you so that you don’t end up walking up the aisle with a bouquet of flower stems in your hands” he teased.

Maia spared him a half-hearted smile, but didn’t say anything, something which encouraged Hector to offer her hand a tight squeeze, wordlessly reassuring her that she didn’t have a thing to be worried about.

He knew that she was nervous, the way that she was fidgeting and avoiding his stare screamed it, but he knew that his words wouldn’t help to calm her down. She was bound to be nervous, even despite the fact that she and Iker had been together for a few years, the idea of getting married was a daunting one, and he doubted that there was anything he could say that would make her less nervous, even if he was sure that there was no reason for her to be worried. The last thing he wanted to do was say the wrong thing and make her feel more apprehensive.

Maia smiled gently at the small comforting squeeze of her hand before she felt the car slowing down, something which caused her stomach to flip. “We’re here?” she breathed, looking up at her father shyly.

Hector quirked a small smile before he nodded. “We are” he confirmed “You ready?” he asked.

Maia, who had turned her stare out of the window, hesitated for a split second before she offered him a stout nod of her head. “I’m ready” she confirmed.

Hector smiled at her confident reply before he stepped out of the car, quickly making his way around to the other door. Pulling it open, he quickly offered Maia his hand before he helped her out of the car, his eyes admiring just how beautiful she looked.

Maia, who’d moved to straighten out her skirt, caught her father’s stare before she blushed, a soft frown pulling at the corner of her mouth. “Why are you staring at me like that?” she babbled self-consciously “Is there something wrong?” she added.

Hector smiled at the tone of her voice before he shook his head. “Not at all” he mused “I was just admiring how good you look. I always knew that you would when this day came, but the reality...it’s something else. You look perfect, Maia” he insisted warmly.

Maia spared him a slightly dubious look before she spotted her mother out of the corner of her eye, something which caused her to look up, her eyes slightly wide and nervous. “Mama?” she breathed.

“They’re waiting on you, sweetheart” Carolina mused, lightly adjusting a few loose details of her daughter’s dress.

“Ella and Charlie?” Maia asked.

“Alex took them through to sit with Iker’s parents” Carolina mused “Everyone is settled. They’re just waiting on the bride” she fussed.

Maia’s breathing hitched a little at the word ‘bride’ before she shook her head, a shaky sigh falling out of her mouth.

Carolina watched her for a moment before she stepped towards her, wrapping her in a tight hug as she dropped her mouth to Maia’s ear. “You can do this” she murmured “All you’ve got to do is walk and then you will in front of Iker, and I promise you, you’ll feel a whole lot better. You’ve just got to make a few steps first” she insisted.

Maia shook her head. “That’s easier said than done” she mumbled shyly.

Carolina smiled softly before she offered her arm out, allowing Maia to lace one of hers through it before she laced the other one through Hector’s. “Me and your papa will be right with you” she insisted “You’ve got this, Maia” she added.

Maia spared her one more uncertain look before she spared another stiff nod of her head, something which caused Carolina to take a step forwards, one which was quickly mimicked by Hector. Maia followed their steps uncertainly, allowing them to lead her through the building before they made their way out towards the garden, a sight which made Maia’s breathing hitch. It looked beautiful, the small private garden that they’d hired out was lit by the warm fading sunlight and a few scattered candles, and it took Maia’s breath away. It was exactly what she had envisioned.

Taking in a couple of shaky breaths, she followed her parents’ steps before they reached the foot of the aisle, something which caused her to lift her head, hesitantly peeking towards Iker who stood at the head of it, his dark eyes fixed on her. Catching his eye, she smiled at him shyly before she dipped her head, focusing her attention on her feet as she took tentative steps, slowly making her way towards him.

Reaching the end of the aisle, she turned towards her parents, pressing a kiss against both of their cheeks, before she turned towards Iker, not missing the few tears which had appeared in his dark eyes. “Are you OK?” she posed concernedly as she lifted her hand, lightly tracing her thumb along his cheekbone.

Iker turned slightly and pressed a soft kiss against the palm of her hand, something which made her cheeks flush a light shade of pink. Quirking a small tearful smirk, he kissed the inside of her wrist softly before he took a hold of her hand, wordlessly leading her towards the official who stood a little away from them, ready to get things started.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to FootieJo for the comment :)