Where We Are

08: I Don’t Want You To Change It

Staring at the door which stood ahead of him, Iker pushed a hand back through his hair, a nervous sigh falling out of his mouth. It had been a while, even before they’d broken up, he couldn’t quite recall the last time that he had found himself stood outside of Maia’s apartment, and the idea of knocking on the door was one which had him slightly nervous, even if he and Maia had seen each other more than once since she had told him of her pregnancy. He was still nervous about showing up unannounced.

It had been impromptu, after his brief conversation with his mother, he had taken some time to contemplate her words, and after he had slept on it, he had opted to pay a visit to Maia, knowing that it wasn’t a conversation that they could simply avoid. It was the elephant in the room, even if he and Maia were careful not to say too much about it, it still hung in the air around them, and he knew that they simply had to face up to it, even if it wasn’t going to be the most pleasant conversation. It was something they needed to get through.

Smoothing out a couple of wayward hairs, he spared another look towards the door before he took a pace towards it, tapping the wood firmly. Taking a step back, he watched the door pull open before he settled his eyes on Maia, a light smile appearing at the corner of his mouth. She looked good, her dark hair was pinned haphazardly to the top of her head, and she wore a shirt which was easily a couple of sizes too big for her, but he couldn’t help but smile, noting just how similar she looked to the numerous times she had woken up in his room. “Am I intruding?” he posed.

Maia stared at him blankly for a moment before she shook her head. “No” she noted “But I am surprised to see you. Did I forget that we’d arranged to meet?” she posed, a small frown on her face.

“You didn’t” Iker replied “But I was passing through and I thought I’d drop by. Do you think you could let me inside?” he posed, a hopeful smile on his face.

Maia hesitated for a moment before she nodded, scooting out of the doorway. “You know where the living room is” she noted “I am just going to get changed. I am not exactly dressed for company” she added, a soft hint of pink playing on her cheeks as she spared a glance down towards her outfit.

Iker smiled at the sight of her blush. “You don’t have to change on my account, Maia” he noted.

“It’s OK” Maia quipped “I’ll be two minutes” she added before she stepped out of the hallway, padding towards her bedroom.

Iker watched after her briefly before he turned, making his way into the living room before he plopped down onto the couch, allowing the quiet settle over the room briefly before Maia’s phone beeped, something which pulled his attention towards where it sat on the coffee table. Sparing a quick look towards the door, he checked to see if Maia was on her way back before he lifted it up into his hand, his expression softening at the sight of the wallpaper which filled the screen.

“So, to what do I owe the pleasure?” Maia quipped as she stepped into the room, buttoning up the final few buttons on her shirt.

Iker, who was still staring down at her phone, lifted his head at the sound of his voice before he shifted the phone in his hand, showing it off to her. “You’ve not changed this” he quipped, showing the picture off to her.

Maia stared at the screen for a moment before she shook her head. “Why are you looking at that?” she posed.

“It buzzed” Iker replied simply.

Maia shook her head before she moved to take the phone out of his hand, stowing it in the pocket of the pair of jeans she had changed into.

“It’s a good picture of us” Iker mused after a moment, breaking the slightly tense silence which had fallen over them.

Maia nodded, but didn’t meet his eyes. “It’s my favourite one” she noted.

Iker nodded. “It’s still your wallpaper” he pointed out “We’ve been over for weeks, and it’s still there. Maia...”

“It’s stupid” Maia muttered, cutting him off “But I’ve not quite worked up the heart to change it. I know it’s silly but...”

“I don’t want you to change it” Iker interrupted.

Maia stilled, surprised by his words before she turned to look at him, something which caused Iker to quirk a feeble smile. “We can’t avoid talking about it forever, Maia” he murmured “I mean, we can skirt around it for a little longer, maybe a few months until baby comes along, but we both know that this...this is something we’ve got to talk about” he added.

Maia glanced at him briefly before she dropped her stare, settling it on her feet which shifted shyly ahead of her. “You’re not wrong” she murmured “But I really don’t know what to say, Iker. I...I wasn’t the best girlfriend” she babbled, shyly tugging at her shirt.

“That’s not true” Iker retorted.

Maia scoffed, offering him a dubious look. “We both know it” she countered “I put you second, more than I should have done. I messed up” she added.

“I did too” Iker insisted.

Maia shook her head. “Iker...”

“I should have talked to you” Iker interrupted “Before I decided to call it quits, I should have talked to you more. I was quick to end it, too quick, Maia, and it’s something that...that I regret. I’ve missed you, Corazon” he added, his brown eyes peeking at her softly.

Maia didn’t say a thing, something which made Iker reach his hand out, gently knotting his fingers through hers. “I miss you, Maia” he insisted quietly “I miss everything about you, about us” he added as he lifted her hand, pressing a soft kiss against the back of her hand.

Maia sniffled a little, something which caused Iker to quickly pull back, easily spotting the tears which had started to pool in her blue eyes. “Corazon” he breathed “Why are you crying?” he prodded.

Maia let out a sniffle before she shook her head, her spare hand wiping her eyes. “It...It is a lot” she squeaked.

Iker quirked a small smile before he moved his spare hand, replacing hers and wiping a few loose tears off of her cheeks. “It is” he agreed.

Maia leant into his familiar touch slightly before she shook her head. “I...I can’t do this, Iker” she murmured “Not right now” she added, closing her eyes.

“Maia...”

“Please?” Maia squeaked, cutting him off “It’s too much right now” she added, staring up at him tearfully.

Iker held her stare, briefly contemplating arguing with her, before he let out a soft sigh. “Ok” he conceded.

“I’m sorry” Maia mumbled “I know that it is something that we have to talk about, but I can’t handle it right now. I am so sorry, Iker” she added.

“It’s alright” Iker soothed “I don’t want you to get too worked up” he added, sparing a brief glance down at her stomach.

Maia followed his stare before she pulled herself away from him, mumbling to herself as she stepped out of the room. Iker watched after her quietly before he shook his head, a slightly frustrated noise falling out of his mouth. He knew that it wasn’t going to be straightforward, with things between him and Maia complicated, and the baby to think about, any talk about their relationship was likely to be difficult, but he had hoped for a better start.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Jayme112234 for the comments :)