Status: Re-write

I Want the Truth

I Don't Care

I knocked on Aleah’s door and tried my best to keep my composer. The least I could do is look like a normal human. Lately things had been maddening around my house. It was a rush of stress and panic. I’m at my wits end and I needed a small break away from my hectic life.

The door flings open revealing Aleah. Her mouth drops to an O. I wrap my arms around her and peck her cheek. “Hey Leah.” I’d been wrapped up in my own life for the last two months. I hadn’t seen her since.

She lets go and leads me into the house. “What brings you here?” She continues to walk down the hallway and past Ida’s old room. I honestly still get worked up walking past her empty room.

I shrug my shoulders and take a seat on the living room couch. I kick my feet up on the coffee table, thankfully I can finally relax.
“I needed a break from Angie. She’s driving me up the damn wall.”

“That sounds terrible.” She looks over at the painting on the wall. “I know this was something Ida made but if you want to keep it or if Angie does you can. I’m downsizing my apartment. I don’t necessarily want to just give it away.”

I gaze over at the painting. It’s a typical Ida painting. The girl with purple hair, pitch black eyes and a zombie mouth. “Why didn’t she take it?”

Aleah rolls her eyes at me. “She couldn’t bring everything with her when she left.” She turns to face me. “How’s the baby.”

“He’s good. Getting quit big. It’s Angie that is driving me up the wall. Ever since the engagement was called off she has been crazy. You know honestly I think purposefully got pregnant. I don’t think she was ever on the pill.” I rubbed my temples. “Maybe I’m being incredibly irrational but I’m tired.”

Aleah smiles and sits in the lounge chair across from me. “Wouldn’t surprise me. I mean you were warned that she was crazy by many people.” She gives a knowing look. “What’s she doing that is making you insane? You look like you haven’t slept in months.”

Do not get me wrong. Angie was great, she was fun, she loved, and cared for everyone. At least she used to. Lately she’d turned into a shell of nothing, it was hard to communicate and difficult for me to be around her; she shut herself down months after Ayden was born, and to say I’m worried is an understatement.

“I’m terrified she’s never going to bounce back. We hired help in hopes that her having some ‘ME’ time would make her less stressed and more aware of the damage she is causing, she refuses to see a doctor because she see’s nothing wrong with her odd behavior. The more time she has alone the more distant she becomes.”

Leah nods her head listening to my rambles, but I know her well enough to know that, that was not what was on her mind. She was clearly thinking of something else.

“Tom,” She pauses, her eyebrows furrowing as if she’s thinking long and hard about what she may say. “Be honest with me for a second.”

“OK, what is it?”

She runs her fingers through her now short blond hair. “Tell me, did you know that Ida’s father would be working on the new Thor movie, is this why you applied for the role?”

Shocked I nervously chew on the bottom of my lip. Instead of being completely honest, I say, “How did you know I got it? That hasn’t even been announced to the public yet. I sure as bloody hell wouldn’t mention that to you and your big mouth.” I kidded.

Her brown eyes travel to mine mine. “I talked to her earlier this week.” She admits. “I don't really like telling her when we talk and vice versa. She gets distant and then you get distant and it all gets weird."

My heart skips a beat. I want to know what they talked about, how she is, if she misses me. If she ever plans on coming back, would I be seeing her? Instead of rattling a bunch of insane questions, I gather my composer and coolly ask, “How is she?” I curiously gaze at her hoping that she will find it difficult not to tell me about her.

“I’ll tell you as soon as you answer my question. Why did you apply yourself to a movie that you knew her father would be working on? Do you think this is a way to get back into her life? That won’t do any good for anyone, and you know this, so why?”

Dumbstruck; a slap in the face, I honestly hadn’t thought of trying to get her back in my life, although I would love for her to be around again. Someone to always talk to without judgment and someone who always cared no matter what I did. I missed Ida and all of her crazy antics, but it had been one full year since we talked, there wasn’t a friendship left and the more that time went on the less I thought about her. “I applied for it before I knew that her father was working on it. I promise you that. Have some faith in me. I’m not trying to involve myself with her or measle my way into her life again.” I scoff in attempts that she would take me for being offended by her nonsense gibberish.

“So get this! Her father has asked her to work on set, to help with costumes and makeup. She might lose a huge break in her career because she’s trying to turn it down in hopes of avoiding you. She knows you got casted for Loki.” Leah stands up and walks to the fridge, to nobody’s surprise she’s grabbing a glass of wine. “To be truthful, she’s doing a lot better without you. Do you know she’s doing ballet and teaching children, along with helping her father as a cosmetologist on his movie sets…she’s even doing broadway? She has everything she’s ever wanted and you better not get in the way of that Thomas.”

“I get it!” I yelled. “I’m glad she’s doing well, I wouldn’t dare ruin it for her!” I pause in attempts to say something clever to make her believe those were never my intentions, “Don’t forget I have Angie and I have a child, I wouldn’t throw that away for anything or anyone.”

That was the complete, honest, full truth, wasn’t it?
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey guys would love to hear your thoughts and if you guys are wanting something specifically to happen. Let me know!