Keep on Haunting

one

Quinn sat across from the vampire with a stern look on her face. Her arms were crossed over her chest tightly as the cup of tea in front of her stirred itself. Her entire past looked casual where he sat in his black peacoat, the collar still popped up as if he were standing in the rain like he was half an hour before. He glanced around at the small diner they were situated in, seeming completely unbothered while the witch was a mess of nerves. She was surprised that energy wasn’t just emanating from her body. It had been over twenty years since she had last seen him and it hadn’t gone over well. He had called her selfish; she set him on fire.

Finally, he opened his mouth. “He is a child.”

“I was too, when you met me, and yet…”

The vampire flexed his fingers then shook his head. “You weren’t, though. You are an—”

“An old soul. I know. You used to tell me all the time,” Quinn sighed. It was one of the reasons he was so drawn to her. He had known her in a past life, one of her past lives at least. Oran had been around forever, or it seemed like he had. He had been living the same life for centuries.

They fell into an awkward silence. Oran stared at her and Quinn held his gaze for a while before lowering it to her black nails, chipping the paint even more than it was.

He had shown up maybe an hour before, pacing back and forth in the midst of a downpour in front of the small house she shared with Liam. Quinn had known that it was him before she even looked out of her window. She could feel him. Anytime he was around, she could sense his presence, so when the hair on her arm stood on end, peeling her from the book she was reading, she had shut her eyes tightly, having a faint idea of what was ahead of her.

Quinn made him wait for half an hour before letting him inside. His dark eyes immediately darted to the couch where her boyfriend was passed out, blond hair messy and pouty lips parted slightly.

Before he could get a good look at the place, Quinn grabbed her coat and led him back out into the rain, barely muttering, “Diner.”

Now sitting across from one another, the witch let out an exasperated breath and asked, “Why are you here, Oran?”

He cocked his head, lifting an eyebrow. “I thought you would have caught on by now.”

“Are you trying to sweep me away? Convince me of the great life we could have together, wreaking havoc like you did with Charlotte?”

“Why else would I come?”

Quinn shrugged her shoulders. “I guess I was hoping you just wanted a chat and a cup of cocoa.”

“You know me better than that.” He leaned forward over the table to catch her pale gaze. “I haven’t been the same since you left me. Life hasn’t been the same.”

His sing-song voice fell over her like a warm blanket, but her thoughts drifted back to Liam who was probably beginning to stir from his nap. He would no doubt be confused as to her whereabouts. They never left each other without at least leaving a note.

“I’m not leaving with you,” she said bluntly. “I have a life here. I have a job and a couple of friends. And I have Liam.”

“You can find another job and other friends somewhere else. As for the kid… What exactly does he have that I lack?”

Quinn didn’t miss a beat when she answered, “Compassion. He has compassion.”

Oran scoffed and leaned back in his chair, balancing it on the two back legs and swaying gracefully. He was so confident and handsome, it burned the witch’s throat. “I have plenty of compassion when it comes to you, dear.”

“I’m not talking about just me, Or. I’m talking about all living things. He respects life. He doesn’t kill without reason. He doesn’t drain the life out of people just because he’s famished.”

The vampire rolled his eyes. “Does he save spiders when they get in the house, too?”

“As a matter of fact—”

“Oh God, it was rhetorical. He sounds soft, too soft for you.”

“Why do you assume that I need someone who’s hardened, just because I stayed with you for so long? I’m not like that and I don’t want anyone who is.”

“You were when—”

“No,” she cut him off. “I never was. Charlotte was. But I’m not her, Oran. Why can’t you accept that?”

He let the chair fall forward abruptly. “I have accepted that and I don’t want Charlotte. I am here for you, Quinn. I want you.

The redhead’s heart thudded painfully in her chest. It had been so long since she had heard those words uttered from his mouth. Liam told her how much he adored her all the time, but it was such a different feeling, hearing things of that nature from Oran.

Liam was always at least a little vulnerable. He needed affirmations from Quinn often. It could get tiresome, but she understood the need. He knew of her past and how intense and turbulent her relationship with the older vampire had been.

Oran had never needed reassurance from her. He stayed sure of himself and rarely let his guard down. She wondered how long it had been since he had been so honest with anybody. Decades, probably.

Steadying herself, she bit out, “I am not going anywhere with you, Oran. Not now, not ever.”

A devious smirk played at his lips and he sat back comfortably. “Then I guess I’m just going to have to get comfortable here in your rainy little city, aren’t I?”
♠ ♠ ♠
So far this is just a little one shot, but I might turn it into something more and if that happens, expect some flashbacks.