Status: Work in Progress - please bare with me as I'm in my final year of uni.

Requiem for Mankind

Prologue

'Can you really blame him? Blame him for the choices he made?'

“Skeylier!” He called out over the screaming and wailing of the dead gaining ground on him. Locking and loading her 5mm pistol, Skeylier ran up the nearest ramp, forged from a collapsed shipping crate wall.

'Xavier, you made a choice on behalf of all of humanity...'

“Mizael, get ready!” Skeylier yelled over the top of their incessant screams.

'... to destroy it.'

“I’m on it!” Mizael yelled out, extracting from his pocket a syringe filled with a florescent pink liquid and uncapping it. Skeylier pulls back the throttle of her pistol and turns to face the horde under her. The target is to the left so the left must be cleared for Mizael first, but if I focus solely on the left I will leave myself wide open.

'You chose to forsake all of humanity, yet you still sought us out...'

“Now!” Skeylier shouts out, signalling to Mizael to turn back and start head first for the target. Bullets begin to fly in his direction, passing his body by millimetres before ramming head first into the undead. Suddenly Mizael turns invisible, leaving Skeylier open entirely to the horde. She knew she only had a few moments before everything within a few meters radius would blow. Leaping into the air and shooting a few zombies that had managed to get in front of her, Skeylier managed to skim the edge of the pink and blue explosion that soon followed the invisibility of Mizael.

When he went invisible Mizael bee-lined towards the target. The target being a single zombie that wasn’t quite dead, but rather dying. His heart beat out his chest which was a dead giveaway as to his mental state before the apocalypse started. Putting a bullet into his skull first, Mizael then injects the pink fluid straight into his beating heart. Immediately, the entire vicinity explodes in a storm of pink and blue light, shards of glass piercing each and every fleshy thing that existed within the five meter diameter from the point of impact. When the dust settles and all is quiet, the entire impact is absorbed into the dying zombie, which floats into the air and becomes restored to their previous self.

“Skeylier!?” Mizael calls out in panic, hoping to the heavens that she evaded the impact.

“I’m okay!” She calls back, beginning to run back to him, much to his relief. After breathing out a sigh of relief, the boy who has been returned to his natural self begins to stir.

“Mmm, what happened?” The boy said as he opened his eyes anew to the light. Mizael looked to Skeylier, frowning. No one really had an acute knowledge of what their bodies had been through during the time they have been infected.

“Hey buddy, we will get to know you soon enough and we’ll tell you whatever you want to know, but for now you got to come with us,” Mizael replies solemnly standing and extending a hand to the newly ‘turned human again’ male.

'Are we just your requiem for mankind, Xavier?'