Status: active :)

Change in the House of Flies

Water Bowl

Sadie plopped her plump, furry body on the cool sidewalk outside Rachel's childhood home. Huffing, Rachel gently tugged on the leash.

"Come on, Sade." Rachel tried to coaxed the beast by tugging on the leash again. Mavis responded by rolling around on the sidewalk, flicking her sleek tail. Her bright green eyes fixated on the dancing leash.

"Okay, come on." Rachel scooped the feline up in her arms and carried her up the steps to the front door. Rapping on the oak door, she peaked through the ornate glass window for any sign of movement.

Squeezing down on the lever the door gently creaked open, "Dad?" she called out. Mavis wriggled out of her arms and ran off to explore. From the kitchen she could hear the sink running and her father, Gabriel, singing to himself.

"Dad?" Rachel called out again. Shutting the door behind her, she set a bag of Sadie's things down on the coffee table. Quietly, she peered around the wall in the kitchen and giggled. Gabriel had his ear buds in, washing dishes, and dancing. Only stopping every once in a while to sing into spatulas and his scrubbing-brush. Rachel snuck over and caught him by surprise.

"Nice show, dad!" She shouted, yanking out his ear buds. The spatula he was holding clattered down in the sink sending bubbles flying everywhere. Gabriel nearly jumped out of his skin.

He yelped, clutching his chest, "Jesus!" Rachel doubled over cackling.

"Are you trying to give your old dad a heart attack?" He gasped as he wiped the bubbles off his face and shirt.

Rachel wiped the tears away from her cheeks as she chortled, "I'm sorry, I couldn't resist."

Gabriel playfully smacked her upside the head, "You're a horrible child!"

She leaned against his shoulder, still chuckling, "I'm sorry, you make it too easy." He kissed the top of her head, shut the water off, and dried his hands.

"You're a terrible, terrible kid." He muttered. Rachel sat at the dinner table while Gabriel pulled out sandwich makings.

"Are you ready? You got everything you need?" He inquired as he spread a thin layer of mayo on four slices of bread.

"Yes, sir. I'm ready and raring to go." Rachel replied, munching on a bag of chips that were left on the table. Gabriel piled mounds of turkey and ham between the bread slices. Topping it off with thinly sliced onions and pickles. He plated both sandwiches on their own small white plates before fishing a can of bean dip and two cans of Sprite of the fridge. Rachel drifted from the table to help him carry their lunch.

Gabriel swiftly turned away from her, arching his brow "Uh-uh, lunch is for kids who don't scare the hell out their parents." Rachel chuckled, taking the sodas and bean dip from under his arm.

"I thought, we might get up extra early. Have some breakfast at Mel's before the airport?" Gabriel suggested as he sat down and took a monstrous bite out of his sandwich.

Rachel nodded, her hand covering her full mouth, "Definitely." Sadie trotted into the kitchen and sat by Gabriel's chair, examining him as he popped a chip in his mouth. Peering over his glasses at his daughter across the table, he "accidentally" dropped a piece of ham on the floor for Sadie.

"I saw that." Rachel informed him, smirking into her soda. Gabriel playfully stuck his tongue out at her and dropped another piece of ham.

"Dad, stop!" She cried, "You're going to make her sick!"

He furrowed his brow, "Oh, two little piece of ham isn't going to hurt her."

"I'm gonna hurt you." She mumbled as she took another bite of her sandwich.

Gabriel laughed, "We're going to have a good time while mom is gone, right, Mae?" Mavis trilled at him and stretched before flopping down on the tile floor. Rachel rolled her eyes, popped her last bite of sandwich in her mouth, and collected their empty plates and placed them in the sink.

Gabriel wiped the crumbs from his mustache and beard, "So what band are you touring with now? Something about revenge?"

Rachel giggled while washing and drying the plates "Avenged Sevenfold, dad. Two months, 35 shows."

"Chris and Jenna will be there, too? You're sure?" He asked while wiping down the marble counter with a damp rag.

"Dad, I'll be fine and yes they will." She gave him a stiff pat on his shoulder.

"You're not going to tell me 'don't worry'?" He asked, scooping Sadie off the floor and scratching her chin as she purred.

Rachel chuckled and shrugged, "You'll do that any way." Gabriel smiled sweetly and ruffled her already messy hair.

"I guess you're not such a bad kid." He teased, leaning over, and kissing the top of her head.

That night a thunderstorm ravaged the county. There was a slight chill in the air from the wind that kept blowing around the pages of Rachel's book. The rain splattering on the ground was music to her ears as she curled up on the back porch swing. Fed up with the wind not allowing her to read, she placed her bookmark between the pages, and sat it beside her on the swing. The rain fell so hard it was impossible to see across to the other side of Lake Stella.

"Your damn cat won't stop knocking over the water bowl." Gabriel grumbled carrying a mug in each hand, handing one to Rachel as he sat beside her.

"Oh, thanks. Yea, she likes to play in the water dish, but god forbid you try to bathe her." She giggled taking a small sip. Wild Berry with a touch of honey, her father knew her so well. The two sat in silence for a little while, sipping their tea and listening to the rain.

"I'm gonna miss you, kid. I always miss you." Gabriel broke the silence, glancing over at his daughter.

Rachel smirked, "I know, dad. It'll fly by before you know it." He reached over and pushed her hair behind her ear.

"It always amazes me how much you look like mom." He beamed with pride.

"Try looking in the mirror and seeing her staring back." She chuckled. Gabriel threw an arm around her shoulder and kissed her temple.

"I love you, kid."

"I love you, too, dad."

____________________________________________________________________________________________

Augusta, Maine
August 2nd.
4:18AM


The weight of the bag on her shoulder caused Rachel to wobble awkwardly as she pulled her suitcase behind her. Trudging through the airport, her Adidas sneakers softly squeaked across the tile floor. Her eyes were heavy with exhaustion. She hadn't been able to sleep on the plane no matter how hard she tried. When she beat Chris and Jenna to their agreed meeting place, she flopped down in one of the chairs, and dug her phone out of her backpack. Rachel chuckled softly when she saw her notifications. Three texts from her father and six texts from Chris giving her a run down of events that would eventually make them late. Rachel opened the texts from her father and smiled.

1:20AM

Hey, kiddo, I just watched your plane leave. Miss you already. Love you.

2:45AM

Call me when you can. Love you, little bit.

3:20AM

Sadie won't stop knocking over the damn water bowl.

Just as she read the last text, her phone died. "Piece of shit." She mumbled to herself.

"Whoa, I know I'm late, but damn." Rachel's head shot up to meet her best friend smiling back at her. She lunged from the chair and threw herself into Chris's arms.

Squeezing his neck she squealed with delight, "Hey! Oh my god, I've missed you!" Chris hugged her tight, patting her back.

"I told Jen you'd be excited to see me. Come on, she's over at Starbucks." He grabbed Rachel's suitcase and duffel bag.

"Don't flatter yourself, I'm not that excited." She ruffled his thick head of curls. Chris dropped her bag and glared at her.

Scurrying to fix his hair he warned, "Okay, time out, you know not to mess with the curls."

Rachel giggled as she picked up her bag off the floor, "I'm sorry I can't help it."

"It's okay, Rach, women can't help themselves around me." He grasped his chin and puckered his lips at her

Her eyes widened, "Oh my god, don't talk to me anymore." she laughed as she walked away.

"No, Rach, come on." Chris jogged after her, taking the bag out of her hand. The three of them had gone on many tours together and became fast friends. They balanced each other out well. Jenna and Chris fought like brother and sister, but could never stay mad at each other. All their fighting was just a matter of tough love. Rachel was the "mom" as they sometimes like to call her. They rounded the corner and found Jenna sitting at a table in the airport café with their drinks. She nearly threw her phone down at the sight of Rachel. The two squealed as they ran and embraced each other.

"Oh my god, hi! I've missed you so much!" Jenna shrieked. Rachel's face buried in her long dark curls.

"I missed you too." Rachel inhaled the familiar scent of Jenna's grapefruit shampoo. It both comforted and excited her to be back with her friends. The thrill of traveling helped her ignore her exhaustion as it pumped a small bit of adrenaline through her veins. Long after their drinks and early breakfast of egg and cheese croissants were gone, they still sat and talked.

"No, Rachel, don't listen to him. He cancelled on this girl, like he does all his dates, then wonders why no one wants his crusty ass." Jenna glared across the table at Chris.

"Ugh, god, are you still on those dating sites?" Rachel furrowed her brow.

Chris slammed his hands down on the table in protest, "It's the fastest way to meet girls!"

"Meet girls'? What are you 12?" Rachel giggled while Jenna rolled her eyes.

"Look, I don't want a relationship, I just want nice, hot-"

"For fuck's sake, stop I'm going to be sick." Jenna cut him off. Rachel rubbed her hand across her forehead
.

"So, Rach, what about you? Have you been seeing anyone? I feel like I would have gotten a text if you were." Jenna raised an eyebrow, patting Rachel on the arm.

Rachel sat back in her chair and chuckled, "Uh, no. I'm just not interested."

She sighed, crossing her arms, her hands on her shoulders, "It's been three years since my last relationship, if you can call it that, but I just-I'm happy being by myself for right now."
Jenna smiled at her placing her hand on Rachel's giving it a small squeeze.

"This one is going to die alone though." Jenna teased, poking Chris in the arm with her red fingernail.

Chris threw his hands up in defense, "Hey, now come on. I'm not going to die alone." Staring between his two best friends he huffed and rolled his eyes, "Yea, I'm gonna die alone."

"Well, we better get go get some sleep. We have a big day ahead of us." Rachel stood up, throwing their trash in the nearby by bin.

"Oh, by the way the three of us are sharing a hotel room." Chris informed Rachel, grabbing her duffel bag and throwing his arms around the girls' shoulders.

Rachel and Jenna looked at each other and rolled their eyes, "I wouldn't have it any other way." Rachel laughed.
♠ ♠ ♠
Layout made by Effy at Effy and Lina's Graphics

Banner made by Lina at Effy and Lina's Graphics

I hope you guys like it :)