Status: Playing with Words

Save Me

Answer Your Phone

Lila was upstairs in her room cleaning when she heard her phone ring for a third time. She knew it was Matt and Matt seemed to call to update them on terrible things and that is why she chose to not answer his calls anymore.

She did miss him but she was too stubborn to pick up the phone and say anything to him. Besides, she thought he was still angry at her for leaving and taking Lex as well. She felt like this was pay back for him leaving her so many times before.

“Lex!” She said walking down her spiral staircase. “Answer your phone. Matt won’t stop blowing up my phone and I’m getting annoyed!”

She walked into the living room to see her sister sitting on the couch. A look of shock plastered Lex’s face as she continued to listen to the person on the other line. “Yeah, Matt.” She rubbed her tired eyes. “I’ll tell Lila. I’m sorry…We shouldn’t have left.”

She plopped down onto the recliner across from Lex. “Tell me what?” What could Matt have to say that would need relaying from Lex?

“Yeah, she’s right here. I’ll let her know. K.” She pauses for a brief second her eyes start to water, and even though she’s trying her best to be tough, she’s having a rough time processing the news. “Yeah. I love you too. No…I’ll tell her. I’ll talk to you later.”

Lila kicked her shoes off and pulled the leg lift up and reclined lazily. “What did Matt want?” The annoyance in her voice is clearly heard by Lex. “I wish he’d stop calling me so much.”

“It’s dad.” She pauses trying to regain her composer. “He’s really sick Lila. It’s possibly time to say goodbye.” Lex’s brown eyes fill with sorrow. She tries to brush away the tear that slides down her pale face before Lila can see it and freak out before she even knew the details.

“What?”

Lexi knows that Lila is still not processing the words correctly and she knows it will take a minute but continues anyways. “Lila, I’m going home next week, I can’t imagine what they are all going through right now. I need to be there and you really should too.” She takes in a deep breath and chooses her words wisely. “You can come or you can stay but I think you should come home with me…Matt said Dad’s permanently in the hospital, like he can’t leave this time.”

Lila leans in closer as if she’s waiting for the punch line of some stupid joke that she didn’t understand. She glares at her twin not really sure what to say. Lila wasn’t sympathetic she didn’t understand emotions. The only thing she managed to spit out was, “Bullshit.” Her heart beats a little faster and her stomach starts to feel sick. “Fuck, you. Matt’s exaggerating.” The only emotion she can feel is anger and it’s pulsating all throughout her small body. She stands to her feet and points a finger at her sister. “Fucking liar!”

“Lila.” Lex pushes her blanket off of her body and meets Lila in the middle of the living room. “It’s Ok to be sad. We knew this day was going to come…you had to be preparing for this somehow. Lila, they didn’t think he was going to reach two years and it’s been six.” She reaches out to hug Lila but instead she is greeted with a shove.

“Do not fucking touch me!” She growls. “Give me your phone. I want to talk to Matt right now!” She snags Lex’s phone and paces back and forth in the living room. “Matt…” Her eyes start to water when she hears his familiar voice that is trying to tell her the truth. “You’re lying!” She screams into the phone. “You’re fucking lying.” She screams again.

Lexi can hear Matt’s soft voice trying to comfort her but Lila is not having it. She continues to deny everything that is being said to her. Tears stream down her face and as she goes into acceptance she can hardly speak.

“Yeah…” Her shaky voice finally says. “We’re coming home.” She snivels again trying to hide the pain that she feels. “I love you too Matt. I'll see you soon.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Let me know your thoughts?