Status: Playing with Words

Save Me

A Hospital Stay

Lila looked through the glass window. She could barely see her dad was lying in a hospital bed watching the small TV in the corner of the room. “I can’t go in there. I can’t face them.” She said pointing towards her mother and father.

Lexi rested her hands on Lila’s shoulders and looked her directly in the eyes. “Lila. You CAN do this. I’m here. We are doing this together.” She intertwined her fingers with Lila’s and slowly opened the hospital door.

Their mother turned around her seat. Her eyes went wide when they landed on the twins. She jumped out of her seat and grabbed both of the girls in a hug. The girls could feel the oxygen leaving their lungs. “My babies!” She squealed.

The girls wanted to be excited but it was nearly impossible. Even though they were in their mothers arms, their eyes were focused on their father. It came to a shock to both of them. They remembered their father as a strong, healthy, and admirable man. Here he was lying in a hospital bed thin, lifeless, and asleep.

Lila’s stomach felt nauseous. She pulled away from her mother and quickly wiped her tears. How was one supposed to act in this situation?

“How is he?” Lexi’s voice lightly shook. “I mean…is he going to wake up or?”
The girls took a seat at each side of the hospital bed. Each of them set one of their hands in his fragile ones.

“He’s in and out. Sometimes he wakes up but it’s usually for just a few minutes. It’s OK though he knows you guys are here. He can still hear you.”

And that was the moment Lila completely lost control of her emotions. Her eyes watered and tears began to drip down her face. She put her hands in her face and as if it was a chain reaction Lexi walked over to the side where Lila sat and cried. The two twins held onto each other sobbing yet comforting one another. This was the last thing that they wanted to see. How did it happen so quickly? Just last week Matt had told them that he was alert and now? Now they couldn’t even speak to him to tell him that they loved him.

Lexi pulled away from Lila and rested her hand in her dad’s. “Hey, daddy.” She quietly spoke. “I’m not sure if you can hear me, but Lila and I are here.” Lexi watched as Lila grabbed his other hand and wiped the tears away with her free hand. “We love you, dad.”

Lila bit her lip, she couldn’t speak. She was drowning in her emotions. She gave her father’s hand a tight squeeze before letting go. She stood to her feet and glanced at her mother and sister. “I can’t do this. I’m not strong enough, I just, I can’t.” She raced out the door. She didn’t feel capable. She wanted Matt here right now. She needed Matt.

She leaned against the white hospital walls before sliding down. She couldn’t control the tears, she couldn’t do anything right now. She needed to get out of this place. She didn’t want to face this…she was losing her father and there was nothing she could do.

She tilted her head back and stared up at the ceiling, she could feel fresh tears dripping down her pale face. Breathe, she kept telling herself. Breathe, but she was failing miserably.
“Lila?”

Her head shot up at the familiar voice. Her eyes met with dark brown orbs. “Brian.” She slowly stood to her feet and sluggishly made her way into his hug. “What are you doing here?”

He tightly held Lila and allowed her to cry on his chest. She wasn’t sure why Brian was here but she was happy to see him.

“Matt asked me to come check on you girls. On my way home.” He gently released Lila. “Is Lexi alright?”

She shrugged her shoulders, “She’s still in there. I can’t go back in there.” She wiped her teary eyes. “I can’t. I just want to go home. I’m freaking the fuck out Bri… My insides hurt and I feel Like I’m going to puke everywhere.” She holds her stomach. “I need to get out of here. Now…”

He nodded his head understandingly. “You wanna go grab Lexi?”

Lila shook her head no. “She has Matt’s car, please, just take me home.” She lightly sobbed into her hands. “Take me anywhere but here. I can't be here, Brian!"

Brian wrapped his arm around her shoulder to keep her shaking body from collapsing. It was a hard sight for him to watch. He knew there wasn’t a damn thing that he could do besides do as he was told. He knew that Lexi would be strong enough and she would understand why Lila wasn’t there to say her only goodbye. “Alright, Kitten. Let’s get you out of here.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry that was a little darker than what I was going for. What are your guy's thoughts so far? I'm gonna write some stuff up that I'd love to post but I'd love some feedback it helps motivate you.