Status: In Progress

Of Whispers and Dragons

The Dragon Among Lions

"This is unbelievable, Raenerha," the princess said with a genuine smile. Somehow her delicate voice had cut through her servant's mindless humming, something the princess had learned to appreciate unlike her older brother, Joffrey - he detested it. "Thank you."

Raenerha pinned a few more pieces of hair in place, the corners of her lips twitched into a grin. "Thank you Princess Myrcella. I treasure your kind words. Truly."

"How did you learn such techniques?" the princess wondered, her green eyes wide as Raenerha twisted her golden locks. "Surely it's taken years."

Raenerha nodded, her bottom lip between her teeth as she concentrated. "T'has. When I was a servant back in Braavos my master's wife always wanted the most intricate hairstyles for her parties, she loved to impress her friends, so I was forced to learn. Not that force was necessary, of course. This is my passion. My art."

"Well, you've certainly mastered your craft, haven't you?" Myrcella complimented sweetly.

Raenerha bowed her head slightly. "You're too kind, Princess."

When she got the last piece of hair tucked into place the Princess excused her. Raenerha bowed and made her leave.

Raenerha didn't like King's Landing. The politics were everywhere - Raenerha kept her head down, trying to steer clear of the games that threatened to smother the city around her, but somehow she'd been noticed by one of the most dangerous people in King's Landing - The Spider, The Master of Whispers. He appeared out of nowhere, even in the moments she thought she was alone leaving her with cryptic messages.

"Lady Raenerha Waters," an almost condescending voice came from the shadows. Raenerha startled a bit, still unused to Varys' silent slinking about. The Spider strolled toward her, his hands hidden in the billows of sleeves. "I must speak with you. May I have a moment?"

"Of course, Lord Varys," the girl forced a smile - she didn't particularly like the man, but she knew better than to cross him. It was common knowledge that he could have whoever he wanted crushed beneath his slipper clad foot like a bug. "To what do I owe the pleasure?"

Varys held his arm out, signaling her to walk with him. Raenerha obliged wordlessly, folding her hands in front of her. Nervous wasn't the word she'd use to describe how she felt around the man. His words were sickly sweet while his eyes held a different meaning entirely. He somewhat reminded her of her brother, they way he used his words to bend people to his will - the difference was if she angered Varys it wouldn't be waking the dragon, she would simply be killed for an imagined slight.

"There have been some interesting talk among my little birds," Varys stated quietly, glancing at her without turning his body. "They've been chirping of a dragon that's hidden among the lions. Have you heard any such tales yourself, my lady?"

"I have not, "Raenerha replied quickly, her voice a bit strained. Her steps had faltered slightly with his words and she prayed to any God who would listen that Varys hadn't noticed. Her heart beat was thumping wildly in her chest and she wondered if Varys could hear it, too. "What am I, a simple serving girl, supposed to do with this information, Lord Varys?"

"You are anything but a simple serving girl, though, with your coal stained hair and your violet eyes." Varys made a point to look into her widened pale eyes. How did he know she stained her hair? Was the coal boy she'd gotten the dust from one of his little birds? "Your sister is causing quite the ruckus across the Narrow Sea, is she not? She's building quite the army."

Raenerha's lips were locked in a tight line. "I'm sorry, Lord Varys, but, I don't know what you're referring to."

"Of course not," Varys nearly rolled his eyes. "This is not a visit of leisure, my lady. I come here to give you a warning. People are beginning to talk - should that talk reach the ears of the king or his family you will be hunted like game. You are one of the only members of your family left living, a family that is very vocal about reclaiming the Iron Throne that was stolen out from under them. You will be labeled a spy, working for the Dragon Queen across the sea. You will be executed for treason."

Raenerha's spine stiffened. "I'm no spy, I was sold to the royal family! I had no part in my being sent here."

"I find it hard to think Cersei would let you live based on that testimony alone. Should your identity be compromised you must go North. Castle Black holds a member of your family that most can't remember. He is the maester there. He will help you."

"Why are you telling me this?" the girl hummed quietly. "What have you to gain?"

Varys raised his eyebrows slightly. "Alliances, my lady, are the most important thing to have in King's Landing. I am forging a new one of my own."

"With me?" Raenerha asked disbelievingly. "What could I possibly give you?"

"We can help each other. Word will spread, my lady. Be ready." With that Varys left her in the gardens with a deep bow.

Image


Raenerha couldn't sleep that night.

Varys' words kept floating through her mind, keeping the young woman restless throughout the evening. They were going to find out. The secret she'd kept hidden for all those years was about to be exposed and she would be killed. Varys wouldn't have risked coming to her in the middle of the day, just outside the Princess' chambers unless it was dire.

Raenerha's eyes popped open and she jumped out of the bed as quickly as she could. She wasted no time throwing the only what she needed to move into a small pack. Quickly she threw an old cloak on and ran to the stables just outside her hut.

Pepper wasn't fastest steed, but she would do.

Raenerha threw her hood up over her head and looked to make sure no one had saw her, and then she took off. She dug her heels into the horse's side desperately, her hands gripping the reins so tightly she thought they might burst open at any moment, but she didn't dare stop.

She rode until her bottom was raw.

Raenerha slid off the saddle and onto the ground with a groan. She hadn't packed much to eat, but what she did pack would get her out of the Crownlands, at least, then she could rest a day before journeying forth.

When she reached an inn far away from where she'd stared she was approached by an elderly woman with a headscarf on her head. The woman's back was bowed with age and tufts of grey frazzled hair peeked out from under her scarf. Her eyes were a glassy green color.

"Are you Raenerha Waters?" She asked in a frail, old voice.

Raenerha raised a brow at her. "Who's asking?"

"A little bird," she said quietly. "I've been asked to relay some information to you by our mutual friend. There's a boat leaving Rook's Rest, and it will not leave without your boarding. You must go, my lady. It is the quickest way to arrive at Eastwatch-by-the-sea. From there a Night's Watchman will escort you to Castle Black."

"How do I know you haven't intercepted a letter of some sort and are just out to get me killed?" Raenerah asked quickly, her eyes narrowed at the old woman.

The woman's mouth twitched slightly. "You had to leave - you were the dragon among lions."

Raenerah sighed, humming in irritation. "As you wish, then."
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey guys! This is another Jon/OC request I've gotten! It's been so much fun starting this one. I hope I've gotten the characters close to how they are in the series! We'll see. I don't think this story will be a super long one, but it's going to be a multi-chapter fic. I am still working on The Warden's Duty, no worries about that one being finished!

Requested by ra-veela-claw

If you like this and want to request your own, check out my Tumblr blog 'imagininggameofthrones' and submit your own imagine! :)

Let me know what you think, dolls!

Happy reading! x