Status: In Progress

Of Whispers and Dragons

Honor

Raenerha was restless.

She had been at Castle Black for weeks now with no more ravens from Varys and no word on her sister's whereabouts. There was a gnawing at her insides, something telling her that she needed to move, but she didn't know where she could go. She also knew that because she ran from the Lannisters there would, no doubt, be soldiers looking for her.

The Lion gets what The Lion wants.

Raenerha clicked her tongue in agitation and continued twisting the hair that was pulled tight at the base of Gilly's head, twisting it into an intricate, and very beautiful, design all her own. Raenerha had worked to free the tangles from Gilly's hair, running her fingers as gently as she could through her brown locks before beginning.

It had given them both something to do. Little Sam had been asleep for nearly an hour, and both were glad to have something to occupy their time.

"It hurts," Gilly's voice was tight, but never moved her head. "Does it feel like this?"

"It does," Raenerha laughed slightly. "Such is the price for beauty, my love. Your scalp will adjust in time."

"I don't think mine will." Gilly stressed. "Is there blood?"

A puff of air shot from Raenerha's nose, a soft, snorting sound leaving the girl. "No, there's no blood, and you will grow used to it - either that or it will eventually just go numb."

Gilly made a noise in the back of her throat, but said nothing more.

Raenerha braided a few more pieces together and tied it at the end with a spare tie she'd found in the bottom of her pack. She tucked the end of the hair inside the bun that sat at the crown of her head. Raenerha stepped back slightly, admiring her work - she really was quite talented, even if she wouldn't admit it aloud - before giving Gilly's shoulder a little pat. "You're all done, Gilly."

Gilly raised from her feet and slowly went over to the window - they had no looking glass in their room - and stared at her reflection blinking back at her.

Raenerha could see from her position behind Gilly that her mouth opened and closed twice before her hand tentatively reach up and felt her head.

"I don't even recognize myself." Gilly said quietly.

Raenerha smiled, her heart filling with happiness. "It only adds to your natural beauty, Gilly."

Gilly turned quickly, a great smile stretched across her lips. "I've never felt pretty before."

Raenerha clicked her tongue again, this time at the girl before her. Could she really be so blind? "Gilly. You are beautiful, and it isn't because of your hair - the hair doesn't make the woman. Not only are you gorgeous, you are learning to read - and take it from me, most of the young lords and ladies would envy the speed in which you've learned. You are a wonderful mother to your son."

If she looked closely, Raenerha could have sworn she could have seen tears shining in Gilly's eyes. Raenerha stepped froward, her hands gripping Gilly's own.

"And I am honored to call you a friend," Raenerha finished with a genuine smile.

Gilly grinned back at her, and then the moment was cut short with a quick rapping on the door.

"Are you decent?" Sam's voice sounded muffled through the door. "We've brought food."

Gilly opened the door for them to bring in the food while Raenerha watched Little Sam. The babe twitched slightly before his eyes sprang open at the sound of their visitors. He gurgled and stretched, but he never cried.

"Your hair," Raenerha heard Sam mumble. She turned and looked at him, his puffy cheeks reddening with every second. "Your hair looks beautiful, Gilly."

Gilly blushed as red as Sam. "Raenerha did it."

"Well done, Raenerha," Sam said under his breath. "Not that you needed it or anything," he clarified. "It just... it's how I imagine your hair to look on your wedding day, is all."

Gilly swallowed down a response, and instead stood there in silence.

Jon cleared his throat behind his friend, holding Raenerha's tray. He stepped around Sam and held the tray of food out for Raenerha.

"Right," Sam mumbled. He held the food out to Gilly, as Jon had for Raenerha. "Well, here's your food."

Raenerha took her food with a soft, 'thank you', and went to sit on her bed. She felt eyes on her, Jon's eyes, she knew, so she glanced up. It shocked her to see him looking up at her from beneath his brow, his full lips puckered out slightly, as if he were stuck in a deep thought. His tongue darted out to lick his bottom lip before he spoke.

"Raenerha," he said finally, "will you speak with me outside for a moment?"

Raenerha took a sip of the strong ale that was on the tray before she rose. "If you wish it."

Jon offered her the crook of his arm and she obliged him. He led her through the hallway and out to a balcony that overlooked the training yard. She watched the you men slashing away at each other, each swing of their swords more hazardous than the last. She winced when she saw one of them fall onto their back.

"They're not very good, are they?" She said quietly.

Jon sighed beside her. "No, they're not."

"You are a trained swordsman, are you not?" Raenerha wondered. "Have you tried training them?"

"I've trained some," Jon admitted softly.

Raenerha turned her head, her eyes raking over his profile. He was a handsome man, as bullheaded as he might have been, she could not deny that. He had hair unlike any other man she'd seen - it looked soft and bouncy to the touch. And his eyes - she didn't think she'd ever seen eyes as dark as his.

"I take it these are not those men?" Raenerha said finally.

Jon looked down at her, the corner of his lips twitching up a bit. "No."

"To what do I owe the pleasure of speaking with you, Jon?" Raenerha freed him of her hold on his arm to lean against the railing. "Is there something you wished to ask of me?"

Jon took a breath, but his eyes never left her. "When you first came here I assumed the worst of you."

"Such as one does," Raenerha commented.

Jon's hands moved to the hilt of his sword to rest. "After I had some sense talked into me I realized that was wrong. You came here seeking refuge and I condemned you for it."

Raenerha smiled. "Was it Sam?"

Jon chuckled softly. "It was Sam."

They stood there for a moment, both smiling, before Raenerha decided to speak. "Not many men would apologize for something so small - their pride clouds their sense of honesty. It is refreshing to find someone who cares not for pride. I forgive you, Jon Snow."

Jon gave her a short nod.

"And as for Sansa Stark, I didn't see her very often, but when I did she looked well. Not happy, but there is no one who could fare better in her situation. She is strong, your sister. She may survive us all."

Jon's eyes softened at her words, and a long breath left him. "She was always repeating the pretty words the Septa taught her."

"They may be her saving grace," Raenerha said.

The man offered his arm to her once more. "I will walk you back."

Raenerha nodded and took his arm.

Image


In the weeks following their conversation Jon and Raenerha had grown closer. Sam had been the first to notice the change. He'd asked Jon about it one night in their quarters only to receive a brooding glare - something he'd grown used to. He was Jon's best friend, he was on the end of every brooding look there was.

"I'm a brother of the Night's Watch, Sam, just as you are." Jon said simply. "I took my vows, and I intend to honor them as best I can."

"You are a brother," Sam replied, "and so are the men that go to Mole's Town night after night to find pleasure in the brothel."

"I'm not those men."

Sam fought the urge to roll his eyes. "So you aren't denying that you've grown attached to Raenerha?"

"No," Jon admitted lowly, and he did not meet Sam's eyes. "I'm not denying it, but I'm not acting on it, either. I may feel something, but those feeling will leave me when she is no longer here."

"And if Raenerha feels the same?" Sam prodded gently. "If she has feelings for you?"

Jon shrugged slightly, and lay his hand on Ghost's great head to pat him. The best nuzzled into his owner's palm. "I will not forsake my vows."

Sam sighed at him as he tucked himself into bed that night, wondering if Jon Snow would ever allow himself happiness.