Status: In Progress

Of Whispers and Dragons

Until Then

Raenerha sat in front of Maester Aemon quietly, her hands folded neatly in her lap.

The Maester had summoned her to his chambers to speak with her regarding her stay at Castle Black. Had she stayed too long? Were the Night's Watchmen tired of having a Targaryen beggar in their midst. Whatever the case Raenerha was there, ready to hear out anything the old man had to stay.

"You have received a raven," the old man began, running his hand along the desk for the piece of parchment. "It was sent from King's Landing. I have only had it for a handful of hours, it was sent by The Spider."

Raenerha's eyes lit up and she reached across the table. Quickly, she opened the letter, reading it as quickly as she could.

"We have found her - leave as soon as you can. I've booked your passage to Mereen. You leave tonight."

Raenerha's breath left her in shaky puffs as she reread the letter over and over, not believing the neatly scrawled words it contained. She was finally going to be reunited with her sister, all her hard work had paid off! Raenerha brought her hand up to cover her mouth and sobbed into her palm. Tears leaked onto her cheeks but she disregarded the wetness that trailed from her face and dropped onto her neck.

The old man in front of her listened to her, a small, unusual grin curled his lips.

"Go to your sister, child." He told her quietly. "There is nothing more for you at Castle Black."

Raenerha's watery eyes looked up from the letter to the old man, her hands shaking. "There is nothing I want more than to reunite with my sister. Thank you, Maester. For everything."

The old man smiled kindly at her, then shooed her from the room.

Image


Raenerha paced her and Gilly's shared room, tugging at the ends of her silver hair. A hum was a constant sound in the room, it resonated from Raenerha's lips like a song.

It was happening! The thing she'd been waiting for since she was a child was about to happen, and her emotions were running wild. It sincerely felt as if her heart was going to leap from her chest!

Gilly watched her pace and mumble to herself, then stop with a smile before continuing on her path. Raenerha slung item after item into her bag, her wild eyes searching over the room in her haste. Her hair had gone frizzy by the time she was done, from all the pulling and tugging it had endured.

"Raenerha," Gilly spoke up, nearly dizzy from watching her practically dance around the room. "When do you leave?"

Raenerha froze, her pale eyes wide. "Tonight. As soon as I've packed."

Gilly swallowed and looked down at her son. "Little Sam won't know what to do without his Aunt Raenerha being so near."

"Gilly," Raenerha breathed sadly. Her face softened as she walked toward the mother and son. "I will write you as often as I can. You are my friend, and your son is my favorite little man. I do not like the idea of leaving you two here, but this what I've waited for for as long as I can remember."

The wilding girl nodded sadly. "I know, it's just - you're my first friend. I didn't think I'd lose you so quickly."

"You are not losing me." Raenerha's smile was kind, reassuring. "And you are mine, sweet girl. We will see each other again. And when we do I expect you shall bring Samwell Tarly with you."

Gilly nodded and sniffed loudly. "Of course."

"Dot not cry for me," Raenerha said as she knelt before Gilly and gathered them both into a careful hug, genuinely sad to leave the pair in the dark, cold castle. "We will meet again."

Image


Raenerha had tried to wrap up her goodbyes quickly - she'd only been close to four people during her stay. She'd said bid farewell to Gilly, Little Sam and even Samwell had given her a tight squeeze before she'd gone on her way.

The last person she had to say goodbye to was waiting on her at the bottom of the wall. He was to escort her to the harbor and see her on her way. Jon looked sad, his brown eyes a shade darker than they usually were.

"It's a shame to see you go," he said quietly, holding her pack. "Gilly will be lonelier than ever."

Raenerha nodded, her eyes downcast. "I don't want to leave her. Or Little Sam. But this is what I have to do. What I want to do."

Jon nodded. "If would go back to my family if it were permitted."

Raenerha gave him a sad, tight lipped smile. "Maybe one day you will."

Jon grinned and gave her a small nod. "Maybe."

They walked in silence, the snow beneath them crunching was the only sound that filled the air. Raenerha watched as her breath puffed out in a cloud - she really wasn't going to miss the bitter cold of the North. She looked through the corner of her eye to see Jon, his eyes straight before him, a brooding look upon his face.

"It's not just Gilly, Sam and the baby that'll miss you when you leave," Jon said finally, once they were within eyesight of the ship. "I'll miss ya too."

Raenerha stopped beside him, searching his eyes. "And I you, Jon Snow."

Jon's hand raised slowly to here chin, raising it with a finger to look at her closer. "Be safe out there, Raenerha Targaryen. I'd hate to hear of anything bad happening to you."

"I will, only if you promise on to die on me, Jon Snow." Raenerha retorted. His fingers were burning their place on her chin. "Take care of them for me, will you?"

Jon gave a solitary nod. "Of course."

Raenerha stood on her toes, leaning closer to the man she'd spent so much time dreaming about. She could feel his breath on her skin, and it made her entire being tingle. On a whim she pressed her lips to his, gently at first, the pressure gradually rising when Jon finally wrapped his head around what was happening. Raenerha's hands found the back of his neck and pulled him closer to her, smiling as he groaned against her mouth.

Jon dropped her bag into the snow beside them and his free arm found her waist. Their kiss was brief, but the passion behind it threatened to burn her mouth.

Jon pulled back quickly, his breathing quickened. "I hope to see you again, Rae."

Raenerha smiled, her violet eyes meeting his brown. "Until then, Jon Snow."
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay, so if you all haven't noticed yet this story follows no timeline in any way. Gilly is at The Wall, and Jon has yet to meet the Wildlings. Daenerys is in Mereen, and Varys is still in King's Landing. This is completely pulled from my mind, and I didn't work the show's timeline into how I wanted this story to go.

Now that we've gotten that out of the way, let me know what you think!