Status: Ongoing

The Gift

A Gift Name Morph

Raito decided to take a short break from being a hero after the fight with Blight. Despite being fully healed he could still feel his skin being burned. Not to mention that he needed to make a new costume since his only one had been destroyed from the fight. Despite being nearly killed, Raito showed no signs of PTSD which surprised Flight who was sure Raito would show that he was suffering from trauma in some form. It was as if the trauma Raito should be experiencing doesn't exist. It even surprised Raito and shrugged it off as a sign of his strong will of wanting to be a hero helping him overcome this traumatic event.

To pass the time Raito would continue to work on his manga and started to experience some success. His first chapter helped Raito gain over 200 followers and many people would comment about how much they loved Raito’s uncanon story about the other heroes that exist in the I Am Hero universe. While working on the next chapter Flight ended up visiting Raito with a surprise. “You’re looking well,” Flight said as he let himself into Raito’s room through his window. “Since you’ve been working so hard on your manga I think you deserve a break.” Flight pulls out a ticket from his back pocket.

“What’s that?” Raito asked while only glancing at the ticket for a second so he could continue to draw.

“At least acknowledge me!”

Raito put down his pencil and turned his chair so he could better face Flight, “I’m sorry! I tend to get lost in a trance when I draw. What’s that ticket for?”

“I’m glad you asked. A friend of mine is in town to do a show. Whenever we’re in the same city she tends to always save a free ticket for me.”

“She? Is she a Gift too?”

“That I can’t tell you but I think you should take my place for me. I sort of have some business I need to take care and don’t want this ticket to go to waste. It’s also a VIP ticket so you can tell her for me that I’m sorry I couldn’t make the show.” Flight said as he waved the ticket in front of Raito, taunting him to take it.

Knowing that he needed to get out of the house snatched the ticket from Flight’s hand. Raito checks out the ticket to see that the theater will be showing Hamlet which is a Shakespeare’s play that will be held at the theater on the Arizona State University campus. “Never been to a play before. Maybe this will end up being fun?”

The play wasn’t to start till 5 O’clock so to kill time Flight and Raito spend the morning talking while Raito continued his drawings. While talking Flight learned that Raito’s dad had agreed to the plan that him and his mom came up with. Flight was extremely happy for Raito and wanted to learn more about the story Raito was creating. Before they knew it, it was already 3 O’clock and Flight needed to head out. It only took Raito about 30 minutes to get ready and leave to the theater. Raito was very curious on who this person is and found it odd that Flight wanted him to meet a person that might be a Gift. Soul made it clear that he didn’t want him to be in his alliance which can also include that Soul didn’t want Raito to have contact with other Gifts in the alliance. “She probably isn’t a Gift. Maybe Flight is trying to hook me up with somebody,” Raito laughed at his own question knowing that couldn’t possibly be the case. Once at the theater the play was set to start in ten minutes. Raito had a hard time focusing because all he could think about it is who is the woman Flight wants him to meet. Maybe it’s his girlfriend?

The play began and the curtains open up to reveal the actors and the first scene. Raito ended up enjoying the play and made a little game where he would try to figure out which actor is Flight’s friend. Once the play ended, Raito nearly jumped out of his seat to quickly go backstage to meet this friend.

“Sorry, only actors and VIP guess are allowed back.” Raito took out his ticket to showed the man his VIP ticket. “Oh, you’re a friend of Jun. You need to show the security guard that ticket. She’s already in her room. Just come inside at go all the way to the back.”

Raito thought to himself, “huh. She must have special tickets made for Flight so people know he’s here to see her. She must be important.” Raito makes his way to the room that Flight’s friend should be in. After showing the security guard his ticket Raito enters the room to finally meet Flight’s friend. Raito doesn’t see her but then notices a changing frame where people can go behind as they change.

“Hi Flight. I’m just changing into normal clothes. I’ll be out in a second.”

“Sorry to disappoint you but I’m not Flight. He couldn’t make it so he gave me his ticket so I could tell you in person.” Raito said as he felt uncomfortable knowing a woman was changing only a few feet away from him.

The woman stayed quiet for a few seconds before saying anything back. “What’s your name?”

“It’s Raito.”

“Raito? Sounds like a Japanese name. Sorry but Flight never mentioned anyone to me about a guy name Raito. I’d appreciate it if you leave now please.”

Raito begins to turn around and leave but a thought crossed his mind. Soul mentioned how he always uses a Gift’s nickname than their real name. Maybe Flight does the samething. “How about the name Wave?”

Again there was silence for a few seconds before a reply. “Are you a Gift?”

“Yes, The Gift of Sound to be exact.”

The woman walks out of the changing frame to reveal herself. She had long blond hair, blue eyes, pale white skin and was fairly tall. Raito recognized her as the sister of the main character in the play who goes mad and kills herself. “Now that name I know, you’re the guy Flight has been spending a lot of time with lately. I’m a little disappointed Flight couldn’t make it but I’m glad I get to meet you.”

“What did Flight tell you about me if you don’t mind me asking.”

“That you’re obsessed with being a hero.” Raito blushed at the comment. “And what happened between you and Blight,” she said as she put her hand on Raito’s cheek. “I think what I’ve gone through is why Flight thought it would be a good idea for us to meet.” This was the first time a woman has even shown this type of kindness towards Raito. Raito was never a ladies man and never knew how to approach girls so this was the closes a girl has ever been to him. “Please call me Morph. I’m the Gift of Form.”

“The Gift of Form? What does that mean exactly?” Raito asked being a little confused on her Gift.

Morph removed her hand from Raito’s cheek and walked over to her makeup table and revealed that she didn’t have makeup. Infact all the drawers were empty. This only confused Raito more as he could plainly see that she was wearing makeup. Morph picked up a flower that was inside a vase on her table. With a snap of her fingers the flower began to change its physical form right in front of his eyes. The next thing he knew the flower had changed into pencil. “I have the ability to change the physical appearance of anything I touch. The only downside is even though I can change the physical form of anything, I’m not always able to change their function.” Morph demonstrated what she meant by trying to draw with the pencil but it wouldn’t write. Even though the flower looks like a pencil, it’s still a flower. Raito was of course amazed by this Gift and went on a rant about superheroes who have similar powers and what Morph could do with said powers. Raio wanted to ask more questions but remembered that Morph said she experienced something horrible that happened to her that he would be able to relate too. “Before I keep nerding out on you how awesome your powers are. Mind tell me your story first?”

“Of course,” Morphed walked over towards her chair and offered Raito to sit down across from her. This is the story of a Gift named Morph.

Morph was another Gift whose powers awaken at an early age. Morph was born into a low class family in Beijing China and her parents worked in a manufacturing company only earning slave wages. The parents put a lot of pressure onto Morph to succeed so her parents could live decent lives. One easy way to earn money was to become an actress or model. So Morph at the age of five was told to take care of her looks and to practice her acting. Her parents obviously couldn’t pay for acting classes so she would learn how to act by watching drama shows. At the age of six Morph was thinking about how beautiful some of the women looked that were on the shows she would watch. Without realizing it she accidently changed her face to look almost identical to one of the actresses she idolized. This is when everything changed. Morph had changed her face and never changed it back so when her parents came home they saw their daughter wearing makeup. This angered her parents who assumed she stole makeup because no way could they afford such a luxury.

“I DIDN’T STEAL IT I DIDN’T STEAL IT!” Morph would cried out but the parents ignored her. Only to yell that she could have ruined their lives if she were to be caught. Once the beaten had stopped Morph’s face was back to normal revealing she wasn’t wearing makeup. You would think the parents would apologize and try and make her feel better but that’s not what happened. Instead they just said that all the bruises they gave her were hiding the makeup she was wearing and left her on the floor to cry. The next day she would look at herself in the mirror and wished the ugly bruises were gone so she wouldn’t look so ugly. And just like that the bruises were gone. This frighten her for she began to think that she was some kind of monster. She would poke herself where the bruises should be and still felt pain. That told her that she could change her appearance but that it’s. She didn’t heal her bruises but instead hid them.

This made her excited because now she could prove she didn’t steal any makeup and her parents could be proud of her. She would be able to make herself as beautiful as the women on TV or even a model. When her parents came home she showed them her powers and made herself look like a model that was on a magazine she owned. If you expected excitement as their reaction then we wouldn’t be here telling a story about how Morph experienced pain. Morph’s powers frighten her parents as they believed she was some kind of monster so they pretended that they were sorry and that they didn’t believe her. The parents wanted to get rid of her but didn’t know how. They thought about killing her but the dad had a better idea. Why not profit from this by selling her to a trafficker. She’s a young beautiful little girl and if she could change her appearance then that would make her worth a lot more. The father spread the word that he was looking to sell his daughter and then within a few days a buyer came looking. They lied to Morph to show the man her powers because he was a model agent and he wanted to see what she could do. Morph, once again made herself look beautiful and this immediately made the buyer want to nab her before anyone else. The parents sold her for 10,000 Yuan which converts to about $1,500.

For the next thirteen years Morph was subjected to being nothing but a sex slave where clients would spend nearly $10,000 just to have sex with her for one day. Her ability to change her appearance meant that clients could have her look anyway they want to fulfil their sick twisted fantasy. Her parents got away with selling her since who would care about a girl from a poor family suddenly vanishing. Her captures were able to keep Morph from doing something like making herself into a mouse, or some other small creature, to escape by scaring her.

They would say things like “what man would want a whore who is used up like you.”

“If you leave we will tell people how you’re a monster and no one wants you.”

“This is your home now monster.”

One faithful night would change Morph’s life forever. Her capturers would keep her in a jail like cell with a small window to the outside. Morph heard what sounded like a knock on the window and decided to investigate who could possibly be at the window. “Hi! My name is Flight and I sensed a nearby Gift. I’m getting a strong feeling from you so I’m pretty sure you’re the Gift I’m looking for!”

Talking in Mandarin Chinese, “I’m sorry but I don’t speak english.”

Flight scratching his head, “I did not think this through. I’ll be right back okay!” And with that Flight left. Morph was confused about how a random man found her since she is sort of in a secluded area and never thought twice about it. Flight wouldn’t appear for another week but this time he was prepared.

“I’m back! This time I was able to get a translator!” Flight said as he was holding on to some type of device. After Flight finished talking the device would repeat what Flight said but in Mandarin so Morph could understand him. Flight went on to basically explain everything like he did with Raito and Morph would tell Flight her story. The device would also translate what Morph said so Flight could understand her. Flight wanting to help her informed her that he will find a way to rescue her so she can be freed.

“But I have no place to go. Who would want a monster like me.” Morph said with a depressed look on her face.

“You’re not a monster Jun. You’re a Gift like me and like all my other friends. I will save you. You have my word.”

Over the course of a few days Flight would visit Morph and would just talk to get to know each other better. “We should think of a nickname for you once you’re out of this place. It’s important for Gifts to have a different name to go by for safety reasons.”

“You still talk like I can be saved but I do have a name I would like to have. Jun means truth but my powers hide the truth. So I would like the name Morph because I morph the truth into anything I want with my powers.”

“Then that’s what I’ll call you for now on.”

Flight tried to persuade Morph to just escape but she was still scared of being caught or what would happen if she were to leave. Like maybe Flight is a test to see if she would escape if given the chance. That terrified her more than anything but eventually she would learn to trust in Flight. After a month of befriending Flight, Morph was finally going to be rescued and be free from harm. Morph doesn’t know how she was rescued exactly because everything that happened was out of her sight as her cell was in a secluded room from her capturers. All she knows is that she heard screams of men pleading for their life to be spared. One man who she believed to be the leader said this while trying to convince whoever was attacking them to stop. “Please spare me! I have money and I have a girl that can pleasure you in ways you could never imagine. She’s some type of monster that can make herself look like anything you want!” But whoever he was talking to only laughed and then she heard a crushing sound. Then there was silence and the door that lead to the room that her cell was in opened. There she saw Soul coming up to her and a man that was accompanying Soul. He wore a mask that was covered in paint splattered and wore an outfit that looked like it belonged to a policeman. But there was also a third person and it wasn’t Flight. Morph couldn’t get a clear look at the person because Soul and his friend was in the way. But also because the person was walking away and she never got to thank that person.

“My name is Soul, it’s a pleasure to meet you and this is my friend Paint who is a police officer in America. We’re here to rescue you.”

“Paint ended up pretending to be an officer in Beijing and the trafficking bust was huge as they had records of other locations and men that were running them. Soul brought me here to America and I joined their alliance. Flight is the one who helped me get a job as an actress for plays.” Morphed went on to say as she began to wrap up her story.

Raito was shocked to hear about the type of treatment Morph had gone through and honestly had no idea on what to say. What do you even say in a situation like this but Raito finally understood why Flight wanted him to meet Morph. The type of abuse he experience is different from Morph but she was able to overcome her abuse and is now doing something she wanted to do since she was a little girl. Flight was actually encouraging Raito to pursue his desire to be a hero. Raito finally got Flight’s blessing despite his stance on it. “I wish I knew what to say but wow. I could never imagine what that must have done to you. But are you sure it’s okay for me to see you without a mask? I’m not apart of the alliance.”

Morph couldn’t help but laugh asking if he really believed that this is what she looks like. “I was born in China but I look like I’m from Europe. I’m able to make myself look perfect for any role I’m given. Truth be told I’ve changed my appearance so many times while I was captured that over time I forgot how I’m supposed to look. If I had to guess I think this is how I would look now.” Morph snapped her fingers and her hair was now short and black. Her skin was now a very light brown. Her eyes were brown and she even became shorter, turning out to only be around 5” 5’ now. Raito found her true form to be beautiful and was in a little trance at her beauty. “I’m not as beautiful as I was before but this is what I think is my true form.”

“What are you talking about? I think you’re the most beautiful girl I’ve ever seen.” Raito quickly blushed as he realized he accidently said that out loud and not in his head like he thought. Morph giggled and took the compliment, thanking him for saying that.

“Flight told me that your costume was ruined from the fight you had with Blight. I know how to sew so why don’t we try and make you a new one?” Morph asked as she pointed over to her sewing machine.

“That be great!” Raito shouted. Raito and Morph would then spend the rest of the night talking and making his new and improved costume. Raito is starting to enjoy being out of his house, especially if it meant being with a cute girl. But unknown to Raito, Flight, and even Morph. There was another special guest at the play, the man who saved her.

In the way back, during the performance, Leech was watching the play as a shadow. “Her acting has gotten better over the year” Leech said as he left the theater once the performance had ended. Leech began to think back to the day he helped Soul and Paint rescue her.

“So why do you want me to help you with this?” Leech asked.

“If saving her will increase the numbers in my alliance I rather I get the chance to have her on my side before Time Keeper learns about her. The Gift of Form can be a great asset since she can change the physical appearance of anything.”

“Whatever you say but don’t forget you said I don’t have to hold back,” Leech said as he kicked down the door to the building that was holding Morph captured. All the men quickly turned their guns onto Leech but Leech quickly snaps his finger to be able to control their shadows. One by one Leech had the men shoot each other in the head by controlling their shadows. They screamed as they tried to resist Leech’s control over them realizing that their about to be killed. “Only one man left.” The man pleaded for his life but Leech would only laugh. “I don’t speak Mandarin, sorry! I’m guessing you’re trying to convince me to let you go but I can't let that happened. I was paid to kill you fucks.” With that being said Leech threw a fist into the man’s head, shattering the man’s skull. Paint opens the door to the room that leads to Morph and not wanting to be spotted by Morph, Leech began his exist but not before taking a glance at Morph. “She’s easy on the eyes. I guess this wasn’t completely a waste of time.”