Peace and Vengeance

one

Not many people would have guessed it, but Darcy Lewis had a number of things in common with Steve Rogers. The most striking being the depths of her interest in the general well-being of Bucky Barnes and the other being her merciless thirst to completely obliterate anyone or anything that played a hand in his misfortune. These two commonalities had brought the two together in ways neither would have ever guessed, and it was the sole reason for their clandestine meeting in an once-abandoned, but newly purchased warehouse out in Queens.

"You ever been to Siberia, Lewis?"

Steve's new look was a welcome change. He'd ditched the 'Book of Mormon' khakis and button-downs for something more common in 21st century New York: comfortable jeans, crew-neck sweaters, and construction boots. As he stood across from her, one hand shoved into his pocket and the other scratching at the dark scruff that lined his jaw, Darcy could see how he was now able to move around Brooklyn (and sometimes Queens) practically unrecognized. It made her feel a little less uneasy about their sneaking around.

"I have, actually. Jane and I were stationed there for a couple of months a few years ago. Wasn't exactly fun times, though."

Steve nodded, pulling a small, folded Post-It note out of his back pocket and handing it to Darcy. She opened it carefully, making note of the co-ordinates, before pulling out a lighter and setting it to flame.

"Just another base?"

"Inactive, according to intel. Minimum personnel, I'd guess. More likely than not, it's just unused machinery and a handful of agents keeping tabs on it."

That was pretty on par for what they'd been finding the last few missions. Darcy ran her fingers through her hair, curls bouncing back to rest against her shoulders, before she plucked her hat off the table and pulled it on. Somehow it was colder inside than it was out. If they were headed to Siberia, she'd have to dig deeper into her winter gear.

"If we're gonna set up here, we need to get the heat turned on and the power transferred. We've only got to the end of the month before they cut it off."

The deed to the warehouse was barely signed. When they'd bought this building - along with Bucky and Natasha - they didn't realize they'd be using it so soon. The plan was to stay in their apartments in Brooklyn and work on the monstrosity over the next year or so. Bucky hated the idea of starting a home in Queens (he spat the word out like a bitter poison), but Steve and Natasha had been able to convince him it was the best option. They could get some space, privacy, and not spend a conspicuous amount on real estate. They could be close enough to the home they remembered and still have a chance to start anew. Besides, Steve had said, it wasn't Queens Queens. It was Long Island City, which was practically Brooklyn. According to him, the only thing that separated the two was a small bridge Bucky could walk over whenever he wanted.

"Maybe 'Tasha can take care of it while we're gone."

At the mention of her name, Darcy could see Steve's cheeks pink and his expression catch somewhere between bashful and ashamed. This thing they were doing behind their best friends' backs was necessary, but that didn't mean it felt good. Especially not at the moment, as they skulked around what was supposed to be their new beginning.

Steve shook off the guilt, watching as Darcy did the same.

"So we'll meet back here, tonight? We fly out of JFK at midnight, layover in Moscow, land in Surgut the following day."

Darcy pulled the strap of her bag over her shoulder. "How long you think it'll be? Five, six days?"

"I'd give it a week."

"What're you gonna tell him?'

Shrugging into his leather jacket, Steve ushered Darcy towards the front door.

"You leave Bucky to me."