Status: Focused

When Tragedy Strikes

Val

Lucy sighed as she rested her head on her steering wheel. To say she was nervous would be an understatement. Lucy sat parked in her car for a little over ten minutes talking to her brother on the phone. She wished she could agree with the voices that were pleading with her to start the car and drive the four hours home. She knew she couldn’t do that, she couldn’t let her friends down again, especially not with the passing of Jimmy. Lucy knew she couldn’t continue to keep turning her back on them when they needed each other. She knew that no matter what she would suck it up and walk through that door no matter how afraid she was.

She sighed as she adjusted her phone to her ear. “It’s kinda late for that, Josh. I can’t just turn around even though my entire body is telling me to do that. That’s such a younger Lucy thing to do. I mean this is hard on everyone and I know this feels weird…especially because this is the first time Grace will meet anyone other than Jimmy and Val…but with darkness comes a light at the end of the tunnel and I have to keep looking at the tunnel.” Lucy hopes out the driver side. “I know it all seems like bad timing but we aren’t going to be here for that long.”

“I get that you are going because of Jimmy. I really do and I loved the shit out of Jimmy too. Don’t make me sound insensitive. I’m just worried about Grace.” He takes in a deep breath and instantly Lucy knows she’s in for a lecture. “Are you ready for what is going to happen, and is Gracie going to understand not only that Jimmy passed away but that Zack is her father? Zack isn’t exactly going to open his arms up to you of all people and think it’s a good idea for you to be in his life. What if he takes Grace away from you? He has the money to do it.” He admits. “He could turn this around on you and be a complete dick about it.”

Lucy groaned as she leaned against her blue Jeep Cherokee. “Are you done?” She paused. “I have thought about every out possible outcome. I know that he could do that trust me, but, I know he never would do that to me or Grace.” Lucy glanced inside the window to see Gracie was now unbuckling herself. “It’s for the best. Like I said I will be going home with you after the funeral it’s not like I plan on staying her and making a family with Zack, but, if he wants to be a part of Grace’s life I’m not going to say no. Honestly I’m going to go into a panic attack if we continue talking about it. There is already enough going on with Jimmy’s passing now drop it. I’ll see you Thursday.”

“Ok, give the angel a kiss for me. Text me later let me know what’s going on. I love you guys.” His voice is genuine. “Be careful.”

Lucy helped Gracie out of the car. She picked her up and instantly Grace wrapped her arms around Lucy making sure to dig her face into her stuffed Elephant that Jimmy had bought her years ago. “K love you too. Bye.”

Gracie looked around the suburban street, curiosity rested in her emerald eyes. “Where are we?”
Lucy smiled as she continued to walk up the drive way. “We’re gonna meet some of mommy’s friends.”

She smiled brightly, she tilted her head to meet her mother’s gaze. “Is, Jimmy…there?”

Lucy lightly knocked on the door. She felt like the wind had been knocked out of her. It was painful for her to explain to Gracie that Jimmy wouldn’t ever be with them in person again. “No, hunny not this time.”

The door quickly opened revealing an excited Bella and a somber Val. “You’re here…” She grabbed them into a hug and pushed Bella out of the way for them to get through the door. “Bella, move.” She said to her dog.

Lucy felt Gracie’s grip tighten around her neck. She gave her a tight squeeze. She smiled down at her daughter. “Babe, this is mommy’s friend Val.”

She shyly lifted her head from Lucy’s shoulder and waved to Val. “Is she my other Auntie?”

“I can be if you want.” Her voice sounded like she was on the brink of tears. “You don’t know it yet but you have so many aunts and uncles.”

Val politely asked "Are you guys thirsty? Can I get you something to drink?"

Gracie perked up "Me, juice, please?"

Val bent down to Gracie’s height, handing her the orange juice she said, “You are just the cutest thing I have ever seen.” She flipped on the cartoons for Gracie to pay attention to. Val still had many things she wanted to speak to Lucy about.

Gracie shyly smiled at Val and said, “Thank you.”

Lucy sat in at the table across from Val. “Where’s Matt?”

Val sighed. “He’s at the studio with Johnny. They’ve been there a lot these last two days and I haven’t seen Brian or Zack throughout this whole thing…I’m really worried about them.” She wipes the tear from her cheek.

“I know.” Lucy rests her hand on Val’s shoulder. “We’re going to get through this together. We’re family.”

She nods her head knowingly. Lucy can see the hurt that Val has inside and don’t get her wrong Lucy loved Jimmy it was one of her best friends growing up as well as everyone else but she knew the group had a different bond with Jimmy…on that she felt was more special then she could ever imagine.

“Sorry. It’s just all so hard.”

“Don’t be sorry, Val. I understand.”

Valary sweeps her blond hair into a ponytail and wipes the tears out of her eyes. “So,” She snivels. “How are you going to tell Zack?”

Lucy shrugs her shoulders. “Honestly I have no idea. Kind of a hard thing to throw in his face with everything that is going on you know?” She pauses when she sees that Gracie is slowly drifting to sleep on the couch. A small smile forms on her cheek. “She sleeps like him…which is all the time. I think they both sleep more than they are awake.”

Val lightly laughs at the comment. “Oh, Zack. You know I think this is something he is going to be excited about.”

Lucy ran her fingers through her black hair. “I sure hope so…”
♠ ♠ ♠
hey guys thanks for reading! Comment subscribe recommend! there's a lot more to come.