Status: Focused

When Tragedy Strikes

Zack

Lucy grinned from ear to ear when she heard Matt’s voice booming in the kitchen. She looked down at the small girl who was fast asleep. Lucy gently moved from her spot carefully not wanting to wake her daughter. She hurried to the kitchen and yelled. “Matt!”

Matt looked at Lucy with pure confusion. He hadn’t realized who she was until Johnny squealed, “Lucy!”

Finally a smile fell across his lips. Johnny released Lucy from his embrace and pushed her towards Matt. Matt was still stunned at the sight of their old friend being in his house. Val didn’t mention any extra visitors but why would she? He’d been at the studio every day and night since Jimmy passed.

“Lucy!” He couldn’t believe that she was standing right in front of him after all these years. “How the hell are you?”

Lucy’s sad eyes shifted away from his gaze. “I’m alright. How are you guys holding up?”

“The best we can, I guess. It’s been really fucking rough.” Matt sadly spoke. “There is no way to prepare for something like this. It’s fucked up.”

Lucy nodded her head. “Where’d your pretty wife go?” She asked.

“Upstairs showering.”

“Well then, I will wait to tell you the news till she gets back.”

“What news? Please don’t give us any more bad news.” Johnny quietly asked.

All eyes grew wide at the sight of the small girl who bounced her way into the kitchen. Gracie looked directly up to Lucy clutched onto her leg and said, “Mommy, why do they have drawings on them? It looks silly.”

Lucy picked the small girl up into her arms and said, “Grace, this is Matt and Johnny.”
Matt had a look of confusion on his face, until he got a clearer look at the girl. He quickly said, “How old is she?”

Lucy bit down on her bottom lip and said, “Four.”

“’Zack’s…” He gasped.

Lucy nodded her head yes and waited for a reaction. When Matt didn’t say anything she felt tensely worried, surprisingly enough he walked over to Lucy calm. Looked the little girl in the eyes and said, “I’m Uncle Matt.”

Gracie oddly reached out for Matt and allowed him to hold her. Lucy stood in shock. Johnny walked over to Matt and Gracie grabbed a hold of the small girl’s tiny hand and said, “I am Uncle Johnny.”

Gracie oddly enough reached her hands out to Johnny. “Hold please.”

Lucy raised a brow as she handed her off to Johnny. “She never does that…”

“I’m special. I’m uncle Johnny.” He stuck his tongue out at Matt.

Lucy and Matt chuckled at Johnny’s childish actions.

“Hey, do mind looking out for her while I shower? I feel so gross from the trip.”

Johnny smirked. “Yeah, of course. Please get the hell out of here and shower.” He teased
Without second guessing it Lucy grabbed her backpack and headed upstairs.

Only seconds passed by before the front door opened to reveal Zack walking inside. The two sure knew how to avoid each other even if it was on as accident.

Zack slowly walked over to the group, hesitating on what to say they hadn’t all been in the same room since Jimmy’s passing. He looked at Matt, “Hey.”

“Hey, man, good to see you.” Matt pauses. “You heard from Syn at all?”

“Yeah, you-” Zack stopped when his eyes caught the little girl bouncing up and down on the couch. “Who’s kid?”

Matt scratched the back of his neck, “Lucy’s here. She’s upstairs showering.”

“Oh, shit. I didn’t know Lucy had a kid.” He squinted as he walked over to Gracie suspiciously. He calmly sat at the couch next her. “Hey princess.” He smiled. God she looked like Lucy he thought to himself. His suspicion stopped when he got a better view of her. She was too small to be five…there was no way. She looked hardly three maybe four.

Gracie’s head tilted. “I’m a princess?” She giggled. “You’re my prince then.” Gracie scooted closer to Zack and touched his freshly colored hair. “I like it.”

Zack smiled. “I like your hair too. It’s nice and wavy just like your mom’s.”

“You know mommy too!?”

Zack chuckled at the small girl’s excitement. “ Yeah, I know your mom a little. What’s your name?”

She scrunched her face together and pulled her stuff animal closer to her. “Gracie.” She muttered.
“It’s nice to meet you, Gracie.” He swept her bangs out of her face. “My name is Zack.”

Lucy came rounding the corner and into the kitchen. Johnny and Matt’s eyes were glued on the scene in front of them. “What’s going-” Her mouth gapes when she sees Zack talking to Gracie. The two chatted like they knew they were father and daughter.

“What did I miss?” Lucy whispered to Matt.

“So far he called her princess and she said then you are a prince…something along those lines and they know each other’s name.”

She pushed Matt’s shoulder. “What made you think it was a good idea for him to go over there when I’m not even around…?” She harshly whispered.

Zack laughed with Gracie about something the other three couldn’t hear. This is exactly what he needed, innocence to make him feel less jaded about the world that he was living in. “How old are you pretty girl?”

“I’m this many…” She said holding up her four fingers.

He smiled as he turned the volume on the cartoons up. “Wow you are a big girl!” The wheels in his head were turning. His mind was racing. Four years old? Four fucking years old… He hastily stood to his feet and started for the kitchen. He stopped dead in his tracks when his eyes landed on Lucy. “Four, Lucy?” He could feel his skin start to crawl at the realization that this could be his kid. “Almost five, Lucy?” He tried to stay calm but his blood was boiling. “Don’t stare at me with those fucking puppy eyes. What is going on?”

“Zack, listen before you freak out…” She pointed at Gracie. “Can we go outside and talk?”

He ran his hounds down his face. “This isn’t a don’t freak out moment, Lucy. What are you afraid our daughter might know that I’m her father?!”

Matt and Johnny exited the kitchen in a hurry. Neither one of them wanted to get mixed up in the situation. Hell they had only found out hours ago. Matt walked into the living room and scooped Gracie into his arms. He opened the sliding glass door and decided in his mind it was best for them to play outside until the two parents could get it together.

“Please just listen.” Lucy tried.

“No Lucy. I’m not going to listen to any more of your bullshit. That’s fucked up.” He angrily walked out of the kitchen and stormed through the living room. “How many of those fuckers knew?” He opened the front door not really caring what else Lucy had to say his only destination was his car.
Lucy followed closely behind him. “Nobody knew except Jimmy, OK? I didn’t tell any of the guys till today when I got here. Zack, you have to try to understand…

“Understand what, Lucy? Did you come all of this way to tell me that I had a kid, did you even care that Jimmy passed away? It’s like high school all over again. You’re just fucking with my head.” He bitterly spoke. “What, Lucy? Can’t talk now that you are faced to tell the truth? How long were you going to keep this away from me??”

“I was going to tell you before I left Zack…”

“When? Because as far as I know you only told me because you had to!” He pauses a sarcastic laugh falls from his lips. “You know what? You better figure this shit out. You better tell her all about how you fucked up because if you don’t I will take you to court. I don’t give a single fuck what you have to say. I’m going to get the chance to be a part of my kid’s life.”

“Did you just threaten to take Grace from me? That’s not the way it works Zack, go ahead and try. I fucking dare you.” She chided. Inside she knew Zack was heated. He’d never do something like that in his right mind. “Just know that you will devastate her more by taking her from the only thing she’s known. That’s not exactly the smartest idea.”

He swung his car door open. “I mean talk about smart idea’s you took her away from me for almost five years. You’re kind of a bitch. How do I make up for that? How do I look her in the eyes someday and explain to her that I wasn’t there for her when she was growing up?” He sat in his car and looked up at Lucy. “I’m going through a lot Lucy. My best friend just died and now I’m learning I have a child…I don’t care how fucked up I was you should have told me. You don’t get to just decide people's fates.”

Lucy nodded her head. “I know and I’m sorry. That’s all I can say. I want you to be part of her life. I do. She needs you.” She quickly wipes the tear in her eyes. “But I know you need space and time…I get it.” She took in a deep breath trying not to show anymore weakness. “You have my number if you want to talk. We’ll get everything figured out with Gracie when you are ready…I know you’re going through a lot. I won’t leave until you have time with her as her father I promise.”

Zack smirked as he started his car. “Go fuck yourself.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Thoughts???