Under My Skin

thirteen

Brooklyn is getting ready to leave the office when Mr Storm walks over to her and Niall’s desk. Initially she thought that maybe he has a last minute assignment for them, but when she sees the serious look on his face, fear and panic seep into her. Niall must’ve noticed that too because he shoots Brooklyn a reassuring look, though it doesn't do much in reassuring her.

“Horan, I’m disappointed in you,” is the first thing Mr Storm says as he walks up to them.

A few of their colleagues – the ones who haven’t gone home yet – turn their heads to them and the attention they’re getting from everyone causes blood to drain from Brooklyn’s body. Immediately she wonders if he knows about her and Niall. She doubts that because as far as she’s concerned, no one in this office apart from Harry and Suki know about them. At least she hopes that is true.

Niall knits his eyebrows together in confusion. He takes a quick glance at Brooklyn before he focuses solely on the man approaching them. “Uh, what’s this about?”

When Mr Storm darts his eyes to Brooklyn, she holds her breath, afraid to hear what he has to say. But he doesn't say anything until his eyes are back on Niall. Brooklyn still holds her breath, anyway. “I’m disappointed in you because… you and I haven’t been to the pub in a while.”

Niall’s body visibly relaxes as he lets out a chuckle and shakes his head. If the same question was running through his mind, Brooklyn can only imagine how nervous he was as he waited for Mr Storm to say something. “Jesus, Dean, I thought you were gonna fire me or something.”

Mr Storm frowns as though what Niall said doesn't make any sense. “Why would I do that?” He quizzes. Niall shrugs. “That’d be stupid. I’m never letting you and-“ he turns to Brooklyn to point at her, “-you go. Our readers love you both. If it were up to them, they’d want to read your articles everyday.”

The corners of Brooklyn’s mouth slide upwards at the compliment. She knows she has readers otherwise Mr Storm would’ve fired her a long time ago but she doesn't know that they love her. She doesn't think it’s possible but that might have just made her love her job even more.

“So are you two going somewhere?” Mr Storm questions when he notices that they’re both set to leave the office.

Brooklyn and Niall exchange a look. They’re supposed to get something to eat together – it isn’t a date – but they can’t say that to Mr Storm, can they?

“I’m about to head home,” Brooklyn answers.

“Yeah, me too.” Niall says. “Unless you want to have drinks with me?”

“I’ll grab my coat.” Mr Storm leaves their desk to return to his office room.

Niall makes his way to Brooklyn and takes a seat on the edge of her desk. “So, looks like we have to cancel our plan,” he says as a sigh escapes his mouth.

She gives him a half-smile. “Looks like it.” Niall shoots her an apologetic look, to which she responds with a dismissive wave of her hand. “But it’s fine. I’ll have dinner with Beck.”

She hopes to God he doesn't have a plan tonight because if he does, then it looks like she’ll be spending her night alone, which isn’t something new. Before Beck moves in with her and before she grows closer to Niall, she spent most of her nights cooped up in her flat all by herself. So she’s used to being alone, but when you’ve spent a lot of times with someone, you have sort of gotten used to having that person with you. And it’s weird not having them with you.

Before Niall can tell her that he wishes he could join her and Beck instead, Mr Storm returns to their desk. He’s got his coat on and he looks more than ready to leave. He must need a drink so bad. “So, are we ready to go?”

Niall takes one last look at Brooklyn who smiles at him and nods. “Yeah, let’s go.”

He’s about to head to the lift when Mr Storm stops him. “Wait, Brooklyn’s not joining us?”

“Huh?” the sound leaves Brooklyn’s mouth in surprise. She’s never been invited before. She knows that they usually go to the pub every Friday night – that’s how Niall is comfortable enough to call Mr Storm by his first name – but she has always assumed it’s a guy’s thing.

“C’mon, Brooklyn, you’re joining us,” Mr Storm says. Brooklyn looks at Niall and he shrugs, though she can see a hint of a smile on his lips. He knows she can’t say no to their editor-in-chief. She respects him too much to turn down an offer to have a drink with him. “Oh and where’s Harry? I don’t think I’ve ever seen Niall without him.”

Brooklyn can’t help but to chuckle at that statement. It’s the truth. The first few months of working here, she thought Niall and Harry are joined by the hips. They’re hardly seen separately. “You’re right,” Brooklyn says to Mr Storm. “Those two are inseparable.”

“We’re not inseparable,” Niall counters with a huff and an eye roll.

“Hey, where’re we going?” Harry asks, appearing out of nowhere. It’s as if he’s been lurking around and waiting for the right time to make himself present. Now is obviously the right time to do so – Niall disagrees with this – because he just proved his friend wrong.

Mr Storm turns to Brooklyn and pretends to whisper, “And the package is complete.”

Brooklyn giggles as she agrees with him. She can’t believe that from now on she’ll be able to say that she and Mr Storm share an inside joke. Niall, on the other hand, isn’t too keen about that as he lets out a groan.

“What package?” Harry asks when his first question receives no answer. The confused look on his face makes Brooklyn feel bad and she would’ve let him in on the joke if Niall doesn't interject.

“Nothing,” Niall mumbles, cheeks heating up with embarrassment. “They’re talking nonsense.”

“O…kay.” Harry replies, still confused. “So where’re we going?” He asks again, hoping that this time the question won’t be ignored.

Brooklyn fills Harry in on their last minute plan and she’s pretty sure that he’s more upset than she is that she and Niall had to cancel their plan. She assures him that it’s really not a big deal, but he doesn't seem to believe her. At first, yes, she was a bit upset but after Mr Storm willingly shared a joke with her, she changed her mind. Maybe it’d do her good to spend the evening with him at the pub because she’ll get to see the other side of him. The one who isn’t all about the articles and the deadlines.

“Let’s go, I’ll have to meet my wife at a restaurant for dinner later so I have two hours to spend with you lot.” Mr Storm announces as he begins making his way to the lift. He stops suddenly as he remembers something and the rest stop as well.

Brooklyn almost bumps into Niall and he holds his arms out on instinct. When he realises that she’s not going to fall, he returns his arms to his sides. The exchange doesn't go unnoticed by Harry who’s shooting them a knowing smile.

“Someone please set a timer or something so I won’t be late to our dinner. She’ll have me sleeping on the couch if I’m late.”

“Don’t worry, Cooper’s great with time,” Niall says after clearing his throat. She’s not sure if that’s a compliment or an insult or maybe it isn’t both. It’s fact.

At that, Mr Storm turns to Brooklyn and makes her promise to remind him to leave at least twenty minutes before he has to be at the restaurant. Although it’s just a favour, Brooklyn takes it very seriously as she sets an alarm whilst they wait for the lift.

Once they’ve all stepped into the lift, Niall turns to Mr Storm, eyes glinting with mischief. “So how many times have you slept on the couch?”

Mr Storm laughs to himself. “I stopped counting after the fifth time.”

“That’s rough,” Niall comments with a chuckle.

“That’s what marriage life is like, bud.” Mr Storm says to Niall as he pats him on the back. Niall cocks an eyebrow at him, confused. “It’s not rainbows and butterflies. Sometimes it’s thunderstorms and… hurricanes.”

Brooklyn can feel Harry’s eyes on the side of her face, burning holes and she has an idea on what he’s thinking about. But she’s not going to entertain it. In fact, she’s not going to entertain him at all.

“Don’t let Dean fools you,” Harry says suddenly as he slings an arm over Niall’s shoulder and pulls him to his side. “Marriage life is wonderful.” As soon as he says that, he looks at Brooklyn and winks.

“What?” She mouths at him, to which he responds with a grin.

Ignoring Brooklyn, Harry continues. “You’ll get to spend the rest of your life with the love of your life. Oh and you’ll get to wake up next to her, see her face first thing in the morning, do the things married couples do. That sounds amazing, doesn't it?”

“Uh, I guess?” Niall replies, unsure of what to say. It’s like he has an angel on one side and a devil on the other. The former is trying to convince him that marriage life is great and the latter is trying to convince the opposite. “Looks like marriage life has its pros and cons.”

“Mostly pros,” Harry argues with a pointed look. “What do you think, Brooklyn?”

Brooklyn’s eyes widen as she’s being put on the spot. Everyone turns to look at her, expecting an answer and she wishes the lift would open up now. “I-Uh. I don’t know.”

“You don’t know?” Harry kinks an eyebrow at her.

Brooklyn opens her mouth and closes it when she realises that no words are coming out. Good thing the lift has reached the lobby and she gets to escape the questioning looks she’s getting from Mr Storm, Niall and Harry. She has a feeling the question will be brought up soon but for now she’s going to pretend as though no one noticed just how quick she stepped out of the lift.

&&


“So, what’s the deal with you two?” Mr Storm asks once they’ve all finished their first pint of beer. Brooklyn’s glass was still half full but he insists she should get a refill and now she knows why. His eyes dart from Niall to Brooklyn, a curious look written all over his face. “Pretty sure everyone at the office thinks you two are together.”

Brooklyn wonders if this is an appropriate conversation to be having with her superior. She’s aware that they’re not in the office and in this pub, he’s not her editor-in-chief. In fact, he’s just Dean – he told her earlier to call him Dean instead of Mr Storm and whilst it takes her a few tries to get used to it, she’s finally able to call him Dean and not Mr St-Dean, or Mr Dean. Alas, that doesn't mean she doesn't find it weird to discuss the gossip that goes around the office.

So she turns to Niall for help. He gives her a small smile and a nod, which she thinks means that he’s fine with whatever answer she wants to give. “We’re just good friends,” she tells Mr Storm before she swallows the lump in her throat – she hates lying to him.

Mr Storm turns to Niall for a confirmation and when he nods, he screws up his face in confusion. He must’ve expected a different answer. “Is that it?” He asks as a follow-up question. He doesn't look too convinced. “Nothing is going on between you two?”

“Nope, not a thing.” Brooklyn replies with a shake of his head. Deciding that she needs to sound a little more convincing, she adds, “Niall and I could never work out. It’s just… It’d be weird to date someone from work.”

Mr Storm nods his head understandingly before he tells them about the times he dated his colleagues and how they didn't work out. Brooklyn tunes him out as she tries to read Niall’s face, but she finds it hard to do so when he continues to drink his beer until eventually it’s empty. He excuses himself to get to the bar and turns down Harry’s offer to go with him because he needs to go to the loo as well.

As soon as Niall’s out of sight, Harry shoots Brooklyn a look that says she needs to go to the bar and talk to him, but she can’t risk doing that. Mr Storm would definitely notice it and what she said earlier would end up being pointless. Besides, Niall knows how she truly feels about him so he should know that she didn't mean it and that she only said it so Mr Storm would believe her.

With that thought in mind, Brooklyn remains seated and plays with her glass whilst she half-heartedly listens to Mr Storm and Harry talk about something that she’s not interested in: sports. She wishes she could chip in but her knowledge of sports is small so the only option left for her is to drink her beer in silence and listen to whatever it is that they’re discussing about.

Just when she’s about to zone out, Niall returns to their table with another pint of beer in hand. He slides into his seat next to Harry and takes a sip of his drink before he asks, “What’re we talking about?”

Brooklyn knows he can feel her eyes on him, but he’s purposely avoiding it as he joins Harry and Mr Storm’s conversation. She has a feeling that this has something to do with her telling Mr Storm that she and him could never work out and since Brooklyn’s quite new with this whole thing, she decides to ignore it. They can talk later when Mr Storm and Harry aren’t around.

Pulling out her mobile phone, Brooklyn sends a text message to Beck. She tells him to get something to eat so they can have dinner together when she gets home later. He asks her what happens to her and Niall’s plan, to which she tells him that it’s cancelled because they’re having drinks with Mr Storm. Lucky for her Beck’s about to buy some food for himself when she texted him so he hasn't left the restaurant yet.

I got food enough for 3 people so if you want to invite niall then I’m not opposed to it.

Brooklyn glances at Niall. She’s not sure if he’d want to join them because she can’t even get him to look at her, but she doesn't tell her brother that. If Niall’s not coming with her, they’d have more food for them, though she kind of wants him to join them.

Before they know it, the alarm on Brooklyn’s phone goes off and Mr Storm bids goodbye to the three of them as he needs to meet up with his wife for dinner. Harry conveniently decides to leave as well because he’s got some errands to run. Brooklyn is positive that he just wants to leave so she and Niall could be alone, and she’s not sure whether to be grateful or annoyed.

“So, do you wanna go or?”

“We could stay for a while,” Brooklyn says. She has a feeling that if they were to leave now, they would end up not talking to each other when they obviously need to. He nods and presses his lips together as he looks around the pub. He’s still avoiding her gaze and it’s beginning to frustrate her. “You know I didn't mean that, yeah?”

Niall looks at her. “What?”

“What I said to Mr Storm about us… You know I didn't mean that.”

“Could’ve fooled me by how convincing you sounded when you said we’d never work out, Cooper,” Niall scoffs. He’s back to avoiding her eyes and she lets out a huff.

“I don’t know what you wanted me to say then,” she admits. “We agreed to keep this-“ she points at the both of them, “-to ourselves. Mr Storm thought something’s going on so I had to convince him that we’re just good friends.”

“You could’ve just stopped at we’re good friends, y’know? Didn't have to say what you said next.”

“Were you around when he asked us that question?” Brooklyn asks rhetorically. Niall glances at her briefly before he returns his gaze to the glass in his hand. Seems like it’s more interesting than she is. “It was obvious that he’s onto us.”

“So what if he was?”

“Then he’d know,” Brooklyn tells him, though she knows he knows the answer to his own question. “If I recall correctly, you agreed that we should take things slow and I believe taking things slow means we’re gonna keep this to ourselves for a while. Jesus, Niall, are we really on the same page about this?”

Niall doesn't say anything. He brings his glass up to his lips and finishes his beer. Brooklyn does the same. Her mouth tastes bitter and she’s not sure if it’s the aftertaste of the beer or the words that left her mouth. She didn't mean to sound harsh but she can’t take that back so she’ll have to live with it.

She leans against the chair and lets out a sigh. She can’t believe that they just had their first fight in a pub. Not the greatest place to have an argument, if you ask her. But then again, there’s no good place for a fight because the nature of it is bad. She hates it and she hates the heaviness she feels in her chest right now.

“Niall…”

“I’m sorry,” he apologises first before she gets to do it. He reaches for her hand and squeezes her fingers in a way that she finds to be comforting. “Dunno why I was upset about that. It’s silly.”

“S’not silly.” Brooklyn tells him. She doesn't want him to think that what he feels doesn't matter because it does. That’s not how she wants their relationship to work. She doesn't want any of them to think that their feelings don't matter. “And I’m sorry too. You’re right. I should’ve just stopped at we’re just good friends.”

The two of them exchange a smile and Brooklyn feels like she can finally breathe.

“Was that considered as our first fight as a couple?” Niall asks once he’s sure that they’re okay.

Brooklyn’s about to nod when she realises that he’s just called themselves a couple. Yes, they’ve gone on two official dates and have had dinners together every now and then, but they’ve never talked about their title. And Brooklyn has to admit that she does think about this sometimes.

Is Niall her boyfriend now? If her memory serves her right, Niall hasn't asked her to be his girlfriend. The only thing that they’ve talked about is how much they like each other and how they want to take things slow. If that talk falls under the ‘we’re now a couple’ category, then they are definitely a couple. But if it doesn't, they’re not. Yet.

This is Brooklyn’s problem. She thinks too much and too deep about something so simple. All Niall did was say the word ‘couple’ and she starts questioning the things they’ve been doing.

“Brooklyn Cooper.” Niall calling out her full name brings her back to reality. She blinks her eyes once, twice, before they land on the man sitting in front of her. “Where’d you go?”

“I-Uh, was just thinking.”

“I can see that,” he points out. “What’re you thinking about?”

“We’re a couple?” Brooklyn blurts out.

“We’re not?” She’s not sure who’s more confused at this point: her or Niall.

Brooklyn shifts in her seat and shrugs. “Dunno, we never had that talk.”

She’s ashamed to say that not one of them has asked the other to be their girlfriend or boyfriend so she settles for that. She doesn't want to come across as a teenage girl who’s still trying to figure out how a relationship works, though come to think of it she’s pretty sure kids these days are much better at relationships than she is.

Niall doesn't say anything. Brooklyn recognises the look on his face right now. He’s formulating a plan in his head and she’s not sure if it’s a good one or a bad one.

“Niall?”

His face lights up as a smile touches his lips. If he were a cartoon character, a light bulb would’ve appeared on top of his head, indicating that he’s got an idea for something. Brooklyn’s beginning to fear what he’s about to do next because if there’s one thing she’s learned about Niall is that he’s full of surprises. Sometimes it’s predictable but still.

Niall gets up from his seat and her eyes follow his every move. She tells herself to expect the unexpected but when he gets on one knee, Brooklyn’s eyes go round in shock. The scene unfolding in front of her is all too familiar and she’s taken back to the day when he tried to convince her to make a bet with him.

Oh how far they’ve come.

His lips curve into a smug grin. He’s probably proud of himself for being able to take her by surprise. “Brooklyn Cooper, will you be my girlfriend?”

Brooklyn can feel everyone’s eyes on them now. She bets they think he’s proposing to her, except for the ones who are sitting close to them, that is.

“I know I’m annoying,” Niall continues when Brooklyn doesn't say anything in reply. He feels like he might need to convince her to say yes to him when he doesn't need to.

“No you’re not,” Brooklyn interjects, a guilty look crossing her face. All those times she told him that he’s annoying must have finally gone through his thick skull and got it his head.

Niall gives her a look. “C’mon, just admit it. I won’t be angry.”

“Fine,” she relents. Maybe they’ve reached the point where they can’t lie to each other anymore as they can see right through the other. “You’re… a good amount of annoying.”

“Good amount?” He raises an eyebrow at her.

“Yeah,” Brooklyn replies with a shrug. “You’re not too annoying, but you’re also not not annoying. So good amount.”

“Okay that makes sense, but also doesn't make sense,” he chuckles to himself. He’s still kneeling in front of her so she tells him to get up but he refuses to do so. “Anyway, what I’m trying to say is, I know I’m annoying but I really want us to work out. I want to be with you and I don’t care if we have to hide it from everyone.”

Brooklyn wants to interrupts and tells him that they’re not really hiding it from everyone because Beck, Harry and Suki know about them, but she bites her tongue and let him continue with his speech. She wants him to get off of his knees as soon as possible because she can tell that by each passing second, they’re only getting more and more attention.

”So, Brooklyn Cooper, will you be my girlfriend?”

There’s no other answer than: “Of course. I gotta take one for the team, don't I?”

Brooklyn’s laughter is cut short as Niall pulls her to him and kisses her. Thinking that he was proposing to her, the people around them cheer for them when they kiss. Brooklyn’s cheeks warm up from both the embarrassment and the attention they’re receiving.

“That’s a bit unoriginal, don’t you think?” Brooklyn asks once they’ve pulled away. Niall kinks an eyebrow at her, fashioning an offended look. “The getting on one knee thing. It’s a bit unoriginal. You did that before.”

“Ouch.” Niall places a hand on his chest, bottom lip jutting out. “You’ve only been my girlfriend for a few seconds and you’ve already won the meanest girlfriend award.”

Brooklyn rolls her eyes and shoves him away from her. There’s no such a thing as the meanest girlfriend award. “Also can’t believe that we made our relationship official after that fight.”

“You have to admit that you didn't see that coming.”

“Well we were talking about how we haven’t made it official.”

“Cooper,” Niall groans, dropping his head to her shoulder. Brooklyn giggles as his hair tickles her neck. When he pulls back, he pleads, “Just let me have this.”

“Fine, I didn't see it coming. Satisfied?”

“Yep.” He grins. “So d’you wanna go home now?”

“Yeah,” Brooklyn replies.

“Oh okay.” He looks disappointed. He must have wanted to spend more time with her.

“D’you wanna have dinner with Beck and I?”

His eyes twinkle. “Are you asking me out on a date, Cooper?”

“S’not a date if Beck’s there, is it?”

“Let’s ditch him then.”

“Tempting, but can’t.” Brooklyn replies with a shake of her head. She expects him to look upset but he doesn't. He understands how important it is that she spends time with her brother and come to think of it, he’s probably the only person that understands how deep the relationship between her and her siblings goes despite not having a sibling himself. “Beck’s already bought dinner and he might’ve purposely bought food for 3 people because he wanted you to join us.”

“And once again, Beck’s my favourite twin.” Brooklyn pinches his side and he lets out a yelp. “Okay fine, you’re my favourite twin.”

“Thought so.”

&&


Beck has the silliest and the most annoying grin on his lips when he sees Niall with Brooklyn. “Is this the part where you’re going to introduce Niall as your boyfriend, Bee?”

Brooklyn immediately regrets asking Niall to come with her.

“Funnily enough, we just made it official tonight.” Niall mentions, unable to keep his mouth shut apparently.

“Is that so?” Beck’s face lights up. Brooklyn nudges Niall in the rib as she shoots him a glare. Of course he has to share that information with Beck, another person who finds pleasure in taking the piss out of her. If they join forces, she might have to remind them that they’re in her flat and no one is allowed to make fun of her under this roof. “So, how did you ask?”

Niall glances at Brooklyn. “Don’t think I can share it with you, Beck. Afraid you might steal my move.”

“Oh c’mon!” Beck exclaims. “We’re gonna be brothers and you want to keep secrets with me?”

Niall chuckles and shrugs.

“What if Bee’s not in the room, will you share it with me?” Beck asks as his eyes dart from Niall to Brooklyn. When Niall doesn't say anything, Beck turns to his sister and grins. “Bee, could you be an angel and get some water for me?”

“No,” Brooklyn deadpans. “But I am gonna go to my room to freshen up.”

“Good enough. Take as much time as you want, Bee, I’ll entertain your boyfriend right here.” Beck says, to which Brooklyn responds by narrowing her eyes at him.

She doesn't like the idea of leaving Niall alone with Beck but she wants to change into something else. The smell of the pub is clinging to her shirt so she quickly takes it off, steps into her bathroom and washes her face. Once she’s felt cleaner, she puts on a t-shirt before stepping out of her room. But Beck’s question halts her in her tracks.

“How do you feel about keeping your relationship a secret?”

There’s silent on Niall’s behalf. He must be mulling over Beck’s question. It’s bad to eavesdrop, but Brooklyn finds herself stretching her ears so she could listen to Niall’s answer. Niall did tell her that he’s fine with it but there’s a chance that he was only saying that to please her. Maybe he’ll tell Beck the truth.

“I’m fine with it, I guess.” Niall replies. Brooklyn can tell he’s shrugging when he says that – she knows him too well. “If it were up to me, I’d want to tell everyone that I’m finally dating the girl of my dreams but if your sister wants to keep it a secret, I can’t say no to her. Besides I think s’for the best.”

“You’re a good man, Niall.” Beck proclaims and Niall is quick to tell him that he’s not. Brooklyn almost scoffs because the Niall she knows loves being complimented. That being said, Brooklyn agrees with Beck. She doesn't know what she did in the past to deserve someone like him. “You make Bee very happy and-“

Brooklyn decides now’s the time for her to return to the living room. God knows what else Beck is going to say to Niall if she didn't interrupt them. “So, I’m gonna assume you two weren’t talking about me while I wasn't around.”

Niall whips his head to look at Brooklyn, eyes widening a little. “Uh-“

“Of course we were talking about you, Bee. What’d you expect?” Brooklyn appreciates the truth but that doesn't mean she won’t shoot daggers at Beck. “But you have nothing to worry about. No matter what I tell him, he’ll still be into you.”

Niall’s cheeks turn red, which leads Brooklyn to believe that her brother is telling the truth and that thought alone is enough to make her heart jump.

“Well that’s, uh, good to know,” Brooklyn says after clearing her throat. She doesn't know what else to say because her heart is racing just as fast as her mind. To change the subject, Brooklyn looks around the living room. “Where’s the food?”

“Kitchen,” Beck answers as he gets up from the couch and begins to make his way to the kitchen. “Let me pop them into the microwave and I’ll be back with food and drinks.”

When Beck shoots Brooklyn a wink, she knows he’s going to take his time so she can talk to Niall.

“I hope Beck didn't tell you anything weird or ask weird questions,” Brooklyn says once Beck is out of sight and hearing.

“Nah,” Niall replies. “I think you forgot that I’ve met him a number of times.”

“Right.”

“It’s your older brother that I’m actually quite nervous to meet.”

“You’ve met him before,” Brooklyn reminds him.

“I know, but he gives off this scary brother vibe and it’s hard to gauge if he likes me or not.”

Brooklyn can’t help but to laugh at that. She would never describe Oliver as that scary brother. Sure he can get intense sometimes, but that’s only because he’s looking out for his siblings. He wants the best for his brother and sisters. “He’s not scary.”

“To you.” He replies. “To me, he’s intimidating. Like he can kick my arse if he wanted to.”

Laughter spills out of Brooklyn’s mouth once again as his words conjure up an image of him getting his arse kicked by her brother. Niall shoots her a confused look and before he can ask her what’s so funny, Beck beats him to it. He places food on the coffee table as well as three bottles of beer. “Niall said Ollie’s intimidating.”

Beck laughs. “Kinda offended, Niall, that you’d think Ollie is intimidating but I’m not.” Niall opens his mouth to say something, probably to apologise, but he doesn't get to do so as Beck adds. “Ollie’s not intimidating. I mean sure he pretends that he doesn't like you but trust me, the Coopers are pretty much in love with you.”

“I doubt that.” Niall says, shaking his head. “Pretty sure Bee hates me up until recently.”

“Well she’s a lot like Ollie so-“

“Okay, let’s start eating shall we?” Brooklyn interrupts before Beck can say more. She doesn't need Beck spitting out things that she isn’t quite sure of yet.