Under My Skin

three

“Bee’s got a boyfriend,” Brooklyn’s younger sister, Nadine, mentions out of nowhere whilst they’re lounging around in the living room. Brooklyn almost drops the slice of pizza that she’s just taken from the box and Beck chuckles to himself. She gives the both of them her infamous murderous glare, but that only makes them laugh. Nothing can scare them anymore.

“I don’t have a boyfriend,” Brooklyn says before Oliver gets to say a word – she knows he will open his mouth if she doesn’t cut him off first. She can feel her older brother’s eyes on her, so she tries to avoid them for as long as she can.

Nadine rolls her eyes. “Yeah, you do.”

Oliver turns to look at the youngest sibling, knowing that he could get some information from her, and asks, “Who is it?”

At that, a huge grin adorns Nadine’s lips. She picks up her mobile phone from the floor and immediately opens up Instagram. Brooklyn watches as her sister types Louis’ name on the search bar, feeling colours draining from her face.

“Nadine…” Brooklyn tries, but she’s ignored. She turns to Beck with pleading eyes. “Beck. Help me.”

Beck continues chewing on his pizza, shrugging. “Can’t do anything,” he says with his mouth full. That’s a lie because he can do something. Since he’s sitting next to Nadine, he can snatch her phone from her hand, but he chooses not to do that. Brooklyn feels like she’s been betrayed – as dramatic as that sounds.

“Here!” Nadine exclaims as she hands her phone to Oliver, who squints his eyes a little to look at the bright screen. “His name’s Louis and he’s bloody fit.” Nadine adds, winking at Brooklyn as though to say ‘good job, sister’.

“He’s not my boyfriend,” Brooklyn says. “I swear.”

“He’s not?” Beck quizzes, his brows furrowing in confusion. “Could’ve fooled me.”

She glares at her twin brother. He’s really not being helpful right now. “He’s just a friend.”

“A friend with benefits?” Nadine wriggles her eyebrows at Brooklyn. “How’s he-“

“God, no!” Brooklyn shouts, horrified. She definitely hasn't prepared herself for this talk. All three of her siblings look at her with curiosity painted all over their faces. “We’re just two adults having fun together.”

“Fun,” Nadine repeats, winking. She needs to stop doing that. “I wonder what kind of fun you two are having.”

Beck laughs as he joins in on teasing Brooklyn. “No wonder she’s so happy these past two weeks.”

“Oh my God, stop it.” Face flushed with embarrassment, Brooklyn heaves herself off the floor. She’s not going to sit there, in her own living room and allow her siblings to tease her. So, she heads for her bedroom, hoping to get some peace in there. But before she can shut the door, Beck calls out her name.

“Bee, you left your phone- Oh, look at that, it’s Louis!”

Brooklyn’s pretty sure she’s never run so fast in her life. But as soon as the word ‘phone’ and ‘Louis’ left Beck’s mouth, she sprints back to the living room. Unfortunately, she isn’t quick enough because when she gets there, Beck already has her phone pressed against his ear.

He shoots her a grin when she continues to stare angrily at him. “Hi Louis,” he greets, “Yeah, yeah, Bee’s here. She’s been waiting for your call. I think she misses you.”

Brooklyn immediately makes her way to Beck and snatches her phone from his hand. She kicks him, making him wince in pain and a satisfied smile touches her lips as she manages to inflict pain on him. She takes a few steps away from her siblings and after inhaling and exhaling few times, she finally presses the device between her ear. “Hello?”

Silence. Complete silence.

“Fuck,” the curse word slips past Brooklyn’s mouth when she realises what her brother has just done. But by then, they’re all already laughing their asses off, the sound reverberating around the living room.

She pulls her mobile phone away from her ear and stares at the blank screen. Louis didn't call her, no one did. This isn’t the first time she’s tricked like this; in fact, this has happened way too many times that she’s lost count. Beck does this a lot to her that she’s gotten used to it at some point in her life. She thought he’s forgotten all about this stupid trick.

“I told you,” Beck says in between laughter, “She likes him.”

Oliver, the one person Brooklyn thought isn’t going to join them, is also laughing at her. “Can’t believe it still works,” is the only thing he says when she scowls at him.

“I want all of you out of my house right now,” Brooklyn tells them, pointing at the front door.

If she knows this is going to happen, she wouldn't have let them in even though they came with boxes of pizzas. She shouldn't have fallen for the pizza trick and she definitely shouldn't have fallen for the phone call trick.

“Aw, c’mon Bee!” Nadine cries out once she’s done laughing. “S’not a bad thing to admit that you like someone.”

“Yeah,” Beck agrees with a nod. “You like that Adidas guy, so what?”

“When’re we going to meet him?” Oliver asks, not giving her a chance to deny Beck’s statement. “Tonight?”

Brooklyn quickly shakes her head no. The thought of Louis having to meet her siblings make her shiver – not in a good way. God knows what’ll happen if they were to be in the same room. “Never,” she answers.

“You finally like someone and we can’t meet him? Why do you like to torture us, Bee?” Nadine counters, bottom lip jutting out. She turns to Beck, then, and asks, “Have you met him?”

Beck mulls over the question before he shakes his head. “Nope,” he replies, “Think Bee’s trying to hide him from me.”

Brooklyn doesn't bother to deny that. She is trying to hide Louis from Beck. She knows that if any of her siblings were to meet Louis, they would make a big deal out of it. And that’s the last thing she wants to happen. She doesn't even know where she and Louis stand; are they just friends? Are they together but not exclusively? She doesn't know and truthfully, she doesn't mind that they don't have a label.

Like she said, they’re just two adults having fun together.

Brooklyn enjoys being around Louis. He’s fun and he always knows how to have a good time, which is something that apparently she’s not good at. For the short amount of time that she’s known him, she’s gotten used to getting texts out of nowhere that could make her smile like an idiot and could make Niall give her a strange look.

Whilst she pretends she doesn't like it at first – she’s supposed to be working not smiling over something Louis has just sent to her – she learns to enjoy it. In fact, she looks forward to seeing the screen of her mobile phone lights up and his name is on it.

So, maybe her siblings are right; she does like him.

Yes, she likes Louis, but that’s it. She doesn't like him so much. There’s no so much when it comes to her feelings towards him. Maybe it’s still early to say that so Brooklyn pushes that thought to the back of her mind.

“You should invite him here next week,” Oliver suggests, to which Brooklyn shakes her head profusely. “Let us meet him.”

“Yeah, Bee,” Nadine chimes in, grinning from ear to ear. “I’d love to see how he looks like in real life.”

“He looks like a human being,” Brooklyn replies. Everyone in the living room rolls their eyes. To shut them up, she adds, “Give me a month. If we’re still hanging out by then, you’ll get to see him.”

Oliver, Beck and Nadine agree, and Brooklyn suddenly feels a heavy weight settles on her. Taking a boy to meet her siblings is a big deal for her and she isn’t sure if she wants Louis to meet them.

Well, at least she has a month to prepare herself for whatever’s about to come.

&&

Ever since Brooklyn finds out about Harry’s crush on Suki, she begins to notice things that she’s never noticed before. Like the way Harry steals glances at Suki whenever she stands near his desk or when she walks past him or the way he smiles to himself when he hears her voice or her laughter or when he sees her smile. It’s cute, Brooklyn thinks, and that’s why when she goes out for lunch with Suki, she feels the strongest urge to tell her friend that Harry has a crush on her.

That would make her a bad friend, she realises, because Harry trusts her – she doesn't know that for sure, but she’d like to think that he does – but if she doesn't tell Suki, that would make her a bad friend too.

So, she’s torn.

“What do you think of Harry?” Brooklyn asks, changing the topic abruptly. They were talking about one of the articles that Suki had to write and as soon as the silence falls upon them, Brooklyn takes the opportunity to bring up Harry’s name. She’s not very good at being subtle, apparently.

Suki’s brows shoot up before she shrugs. “I don’t know,” she answers, though she doesn't sound very convincing. “I mean, I’ve never really talked to him.”

“But do you think he’s cool?” Brooklyn tries again. She needs a clear answer. “Or… cute?”

Suki mulls over Brooklyn’s question as she fiddles with the straw of her iced tea. When she puts down the glass, her eyes widen a little as a thought pops into her head. “Wait, are you asking this because you like him?”

Brooklyn has never heard a more ridiculous question – okay, maybe she has but this has got to be the most ridiculous question she’s received this week – that she begins coughing. Suki pushes her glass towards Brooklyn, to which she rejects with a shake of her head. Once she stops coughing, she says, “No, I don’t like Harry.”

“Then why’re you asking me all these questions?” Suki quizzes, brows furrowing.

Mouth opened, Brooklyn almost tells Suki that Harry likes her. But she pushes those words to the base of her throat and shrugs. “Just wondering.” Suki doesn't seem to buy her answer so she adds, “I’ve been hanging out with him and Niall, so I just wanted to know what you thought of him.” At that, Suki nods as if to say that her answer makes sense now, but somehow Brooklyn can’t stop talking. That happens sometimes, especially when she’s keeping something. “Because I was thinking that maybe you could join us later. It’ll be fun.”

Brooklyn only realises what she’s just said after the words have been spoken. She curses at herself – silently, of course – and she almost takes back the invitation when Suki replies, “Yeah sure.”

“Yeah?” Brooklyn repeats for clarification. Suki nods. “Oh, okay, that’s great.”

“Are you sure you want me to join the three of you?”

Here’s a chance for her to tell Suki that maybe it’s not a good idea because Harry will probably get angry that she’s trying to intervene, but instead, she says, “Yes, of course.”

“Okay,” Suki smiles before she finishes her drink. Meanwhile, Brooklyn tries to think of a lie to tell Harry so he won’t think that she’s trying to set them up. “To answer your question… yeah I do think Harry’s cool and cute.”

Brooklyn’s pretty sure both her face and eyes light up when she hears that. If the look Suki’s giving to her right now were any indication, she’d say that they did light up.

“But don’t tell him or Niall I said that,” Suki warns before Brooklyn gets the chance to get a word out. Cheeks heating up, Suki brings her glass up to her lips and finishes her iced tea.

Brooklyn finishes her drink as well and once they’ve paid for their meals, they return to their office. As soon as Suki bids goodbye to her, Brooklyn quickly makes her way to Niall’s table. “Niall!” She half whispers, half shouts. Niall doesn't budge. So, she tries again, “Niall!”

At that, Niall glances through his shoulder, brows furrowing. When he sees Brooklyn walking towards him, he turns his chair around to face her.

“I need to talk to you,” Brooklyn tells him as she wraps her fingers around his forearm and drags him to the break room.

“Hey, where’re you taking me?” Niall asks.

Brooklyn doesn't bother to answer until they’re in the break room. Facing him, she lets out a sigh – it sounds quite dramatic, she has to admit – and says, “I did something.”

He kinks an eyebrow at her. “Did something?”

She nods. She opens her mouth, but closes it a second later as a thought crosses her mind. “Wait. Before I tell you about what I did, promise me that you won’t laugh.”

Immediately Niall starts laughing, the sound causing her to jump a little. “Sorry,” he apologises when he sees the shocked look on her face. “Gotta get that out of the system.” Clearing his throat, he squares up his shoulder and adds, “Go on.”

Brooklyn rolls her eyes. Up until now, she still doesn't know how she could befriend him because for one, he enjoys laughing at her which isn’t something that she usually looks for in a friend. “Anyway, I had lunch with Suki and-“

“I feel like I know where this is going,” Niall interrupts. She slaps his arm to shut him up.

“And I told her that she could join us later.”

“That’s it?” Niall questions. The way he looks at her tells her that he knows there’s something else that she’s not telling him.

“I also asked her if she thinks Harry’s cute,” Brooklyn admits quietly, sinking her teeth into her lower lip when Niall remains quiet. She can see that he’s trying not to laugh and she appreciates that, really.

“No wonder Harry said your mouth is cheap,” Niall mentions.

Perhaps she prefers his laughter rather than that. “What?” Brooklyn frowns. “My mouth’s not cheap, what the fuck?”

“And you’re doing a wonderful job at proving him wrong,” he replies as he gives her a thumbs up with a mock enthusiastic expression on his face.

And perhaps she shouldn't have told Niall about this. It has bad idea written all over it.

“You’re no better,” Brooklyn mutters bitterly.

“Hey, I’m great at keeping secrets.” He argues.

“Yeah,” Brooklyn raises an eyebrow, challenging him. “Prove it.”

He squints his eyes that are fixed on her face before eventually shaking his head. “That’s a test, isn’t it?” He asks rhetorically before he makes an action of locking his lips with a key and throwing the key away. “My lips are sealed.”

Brooklyn’s eyes wander around the break room before she lowers her voice and asks, “Do you think Harry will get angry with me?”

Niall taps his fingers against his chin, a thoughtful look crossing his face. “Heh he’ll probably be annoyed for a couple of seconds,” he answers. Brooklyn sucks in a breath, already hating the idea of Harry’s annoyance towards her. “But he’ll be drooling over Suki after that so you’ll be fine.”

Brooklyn lets out a relieved sigh. “I can handle that,” she says with a nod of her head. Plastering a smile, she adds, “Well at least Suki thinks he’s cool and cute.” Her eyes widen, then, when she realises what she’s just said and Niall starts laughing. “Shit. I do have a cheap mouth.”

Brooklyn’s still not sure what ‘cheap mouth’ means, but Harry has a point. She can’t keep a secret, apparently. That’s new.

Niall offers her a sympathetic smile and pats her shoulder as though to say it’s okay. But just when she’s beginning to feel a bit better, Niall states, “Remind me not to tell you anyone’s secrets anymore. Especially mine.”

“Hey!” Brooklyn frowns, an offended expression on her face. She can’t say anything else because Niall’s right. Maybe for now, it’s best if she doesn't know anyone else’s secrets.

“God, we should’ve made a bet on who can keep a secret the longest,” he says as he throws his head back, a frustrated groan leaving his mouth. Brooklyn slaps his chest, to which he chuckles. “I would’ve won,” he brags. She rolls her eyes. “C’mon you know that’s the truth.”

“No, you won’t.” Brooklyn counters, shaking her head. Although the possibility of Niall winning that bet is very high, she’s not going to admit that. It’s nice to be in denial sometimes. “I can keep a secret.”

“Let’s make it a bet then,” he challenges, his lips curving into a grin. Brooklyn’s about to shake her head when he continues, “Our second bet.”

“Ha,” Brooklyn scoffs. Niall raises an eyebrow at her as if to say ‘what, you’re scared?’ and she knows better than to fall for it. She also knows not to show to him that she’s not interested because he’ll end up persuading – annoying - her until she eventually agrees. So she rolls her eyes and settles for a somewhat vague answer. “We’ll see.”

&&

“So, why aren’t we leaving yet?” Harry asks, his eyes darting from Niall who shrugs to Brooklyn who immediately looks away. He squints his eyes at her, hoping that by doing so he could break her, but it doesn't work. He tries again, “Are we waiting for someone?”

Niall glances at Brooklyn. “I don’t know. Cooper, are we waiting for someone?”

She glares at him. But as she opens her mouth to say something, Suki walks over to them.

“Sorry I’m late,” she says, running out of breath. Brooklyn has a lot of questions but she decides to keep it to herself. Upon hearing Suki’s voice, Harry’s eyes widen and Brooklyn could’ve sworn that his body turns rigid. “Are we ready to go?” Suki asks.

“Yeah,” Brooklyn answers. Harry tries to catch her eyes, but she continues to look at anywhere but him. Niall lets out a chuckle and she elbows him.

Before they leave their office building, Harry wraps his fingers around her arm and pulls her towards him, leaving Suki with Niall. “What’re you trying to do?” Harry asks, his voice so low that Brooklyn can barely hear him.

Deciding to play the innocent card, Brooklyn shrugs. “Dunno what you’re talking about.”

Harry lets out a huff and rolls his eyes. “I’m not dumb, Brooklyn.”

“Course you’re not,” Brooklyn replies, patting his shoulder before pushing him towards Suki. He stumbles a little but when he reaches Suki, he straightens up and smiles.

“Hi,” he says to her. Brooklyn’s not trying to exaggerate but she’s quite certain that Suki’s face lights up when he speaks to her. It’s like they’re mirroring each other’s faces.

“Well done, Bee,” Brooklyn whispers to herself. She’d pat herself in the back if she weren’t in public. She’ll do that at home later.

As the four of them make their way to the pub, Brooklyn makes sure that she’s always at least three steps away from Harry and Suki as she doesn’t want to interrupt their conversation. Harry glances through his shoulder every now and then to shoot her a glare despite him having a good time with Suki – all thanks to her – and each time he does that, she would either smile or give him the thumbs up.

“So, what makes you change your mind?” Niall asks as he falls into steps with her. She kinks an eyebrow at him. “I thought you’re against the idea of co-workers going out on a date.”

“I didn't say I’m against it,” she counters. He rolls his eyes. “I said it’s weird.”

“That’s not weird?” Niall hitches his thumb towards Suki and Harry who are already laughing over something. They look great together. She’s right; they’d make a beautiful couple. Why she’s never realised this before, she hasn't a clue, but she’s glad she does now.

“Nah,” she shakes her head, smiling. “S’not weird.”