Sequel: City of Dark Angels
Status: Constantly updating and editing so check :) Leave a comment and suggestions for me

In an Instant

Losing Your Memory

A sudden terrifying realization comes to me as that horrid memory fills my mind.

"Travis, was that you?" I ask, knowing he is probably informed of that memory due to mind reading. I was hoping I could finally solve the mystery of that dreaded night that I hid so far in the back of my mind. Only to be awoken by the powers of the brink.

He looks at me, almost hoping that memory wouldn't have to be discussed but answers anyways "Yes, I was out walking with some buddies when I heard someone screaming. I seen those guys beating you, I was stoned out of my mind but I wasn't going to let a bunch of sick perverts get away with what they probably intended on getting away with."

"What happened after that? I woke up in a hospital and no one could tell me how I got there." I ask him, still holding back the tears that threaten to spill.

"My buddy and I drove you over to the hospital, I didn't know what else to do. You didn't have your phone or anything on you. I could have taken you home, but you were so badly beat up and bruised, I just had to help. Somehow." He confesses.

"Why didn't you contact me after it all happened? I was so confused for days, I blocked it all out for so long Travis, and all I wanted when I woke was to thank the person who saved me."

He shrugs, and frowns in deep thought. "I just couldn't bring myself to, my friends said it would be pointless to follow up with you."

I throw my arms around him in a hug, I feel his grasp on my back as he pulls me in. "Thank you Travis, thank you for everything."

We part and he smiles at me softly while the witch stands off in the back looking like she has something to say to us. "This is great and all, but we have to act fast. Your father is going to be sending his friend here soon."

I glance over at my room and see my mother talking to a police officer, he appears to be interrogating her with about a million questions and she is sobbing softly as she answers.

"I assure you miss, that we will not let our officers leave the premises until she is released. We won't let anything happen to her ever again, you don't have to worry." He pats her on the shoulder and walks off down the hallway to another police officer. She leans against the wall and begins to whimper into her hands.

I yell and try to reach out to her, but I know that the witch is right and my powers have weakened. There is no response to her, my attempts to contact the other side are discarded and I fall to the ground and sob.

"Just keep trying and don't give up." Travis whispers into my ear bending down next to me, I continue to sob and feel anger rush over me.

"It's pointless Travis!" I shout out angrily, he steps back surprised at my outburst "Don't you see, everything I thought I knew about my life was wrong. All the bad memories, all the horrible shit it's all back. And now, with my father is after me. And there's nothing I can do to stop him!"

"Don't say that!" He says frustrated at my pity party, "You're stronger than you think you are. Ya right now your powers have been weakened and you can't contact the other side but I know you'll be able to soon."

"I'm going for a walk, I need some air." I get up forcefully and storm away from him, he watches me with dismay but lets me leave.

"I'll be here, I'm not giving up on you."

I leave and decide to do something that I haven't done in what felt like ages, I walk to the exit at the end of the hallway and shove the doors wide open. I feel the cold crisp air over me, it feels like the most amazing sensation I have ever felt in almost forever. I'm not even cold as I look down at my sleeveless arms, but I stride onto the frozen court yard anyway.

I brush some snow off a bench and sit down, watching the snow fall in front of me. The thick layer of crystals cascading along side of my ghostly form.

If this was all a dream than it was as realistic as true life is, I can feel everything. I break from my thoughts and glance up towards the window that my room is and I see a silhouette watching me from parted curtains. I can't make out who it was and I squint to try and figure it out.

I recognize it as the man from my vision, who agreed to help my father with his fateful mission. I felt a confusion as I realized something fateful, how was he able to see me?

I get up off the bench and run back inside the hospital, everything looked normal except I didn't see Travis anywhere. I glance inside my room and didn't see the man.

Was I going crazy?

Was I seeing things?

It looked like he was looking right at me, and I can't shake the terror of his cold stare he had filled my eyes with.

"No, you aren't seeing things. I'm really here." I hear a voice from behind me say, I whirl around to see him standing there with Travis in front of him, his mouth is taped shut and he's holding a knife to his neck. Travis looks terrified.

"If you die in the brink you die in reality."