100% the Father

100% The Father (Dylan Rhodes)

Image

“Imagine…”: Dylan realizing he is your father.

“(Y/N) (Y/L/N),” an agent with curly black hair and scruffy facial hair. “So, what is your ‘magical ability’?”

You smirked at the agent as you balanced the metal chair on its back two legs. With your arms crossed and shoes on the table, you had made yourself at home. “I do it all. I’m all four of my fellow Horsemen in one body.”

“I find that hard to believe,” the agent mumbled under his breath.

The woman with him made a clicking sound with her tongue. She extended her hand. “Alma Dray,” she introduced herself. “Dylan Rhodes,” she gestured toward the man. You shook her hand, eyeing up Agent Rhodes as he took a seat.

“So, exactly what was your role in the bank robbery?” Dylan questioned, sliding your manila folder across the table. Catching it beneath your hand, you slammed the chair to the ground, a loud echo ringing through the small room.

“Not much. I mean, as far as I understand, the French guy just put on the helmet,” you demonstrated the motion for the two agents’ understanding, “pushed the button, and poof! Money everywhere.” A grin spread across your face as you recalled the ever-so-clear memory.

“Don’t be a smartass,” the annoyed agent squinted. You rolled your eyes, opening your file to a picture of yourself. The mugshot you were forced to take when you arrived stared back at you. You swallowed, not believing that you would never be able to check ‘no’ on applications that asked, “Do you have a criminal background?”

“Hey,” Dylan’s voice yelled, his fingers snapping in your face. Your head shot up, his eyes meeting yours. “Stay with us, huh?”

“Um, sure,” you mumbled, pushing the folder his way. “W-What exactly do you have in there?”

Dylan raised an eyebrow at you. Amusement pulled at the corner of his lips. “Oh, a little of this. A little of that.”

“If you are wondering how much we know about you,” Alma confirmed your thoughts, “we know just about everything.”

“Everything?” You echoed, refolding your arms across your chest.

“From the accidental fire in the chemistry lab in high school to the deadbeat of a father-“

“Step-father,” you reminded him through gritted teeth. “Emphasis on the step.”

Dylan nodded. “Understandable annoyance in your voice. I noticed there isn’t a father listed on your birth certificate. How come?”

You shrugged. “My mom always said she didn’t want people to make fun of her. She said something about him being a magician, always rambling on about how he could escape any trick with ease.” You laughed, the irony settling in. “Imagine her shock when I started to practice magic.”

Alma smiled at you, a twinkle in her eye reminding you of your mother. Dylan, on the other hand, had rested his chin on the palm of his hand, studying you. “What year were you born in again?”

“1992.” You scrunched your eyebrows at him.

“And your mother’s maiden name is what again?”

“The same as my last name. She never changed it, even when she married.” Dylan stood from the table frantically. “What does any of this have to do with the bank robbery?”

“I-It doesn’t,” Dylan told you, his fingers combing through his hair. He moved his head from side to side a few times before closing his eyes, breathing deeply, and settling back down on his chair. “So, you have no idea who your father is?”

“Nope,” you said, popping the ‘p’. “All I know is what I told you, and that he was 20 when he and my mom had their short fling in New Orleans. He was gone before she could even tell him she was pregnant.”

Dylan folded his hands, his forehead settling on them as he breathed. “Miss (Y/L/N), you’re free to go,” he mumbled.

“That’s it?” you questioned, eyes wide in surprise.

Dylan nodded as Alma fumbled with her French words, possibly swearing. You shrugged, standing to make your getaway.

~~

“Oh, my God!” Merritt exclaimed. “I did not see that coming. That’s impossible!”

“No way,” Jack muttered beside you.

“That was actually, uh, pretty good,” Danny admitted.

“Thank you,” FBI Agent Dylan Rhodes smiled. “(Y/N)?”

“Um, uh, y-yeah?” you stuttered, not sure if you were even speaking out loud.

“I know who your father is,” he smiled at you, stepping closer.

“Really?” you shouted your surprise, excitement and ear running through your veins.

He nodded, taking your hands in his. “I’m sorry I didn’t know before.”

You furrowed your eyebrows. “It’s okay. I mean, it’s not your job to worry about my past.”

Dylan chuckled lightly. “No, (Y/N). I’m sorry I didn’t know back then, back when I woke up after one amazing night with your mom.”

Your eyes grew in shock, mouth falling open to speak. All that came out was a mix of unfinished words. You looked at your fellow Horsemen, them blurry from the tears forming in your eyes. Henley’s hands had covered her mouth, keeping her own sobs under control. “You-You’re my…”

Dylan nodded. “I had no idea until you said that your mother describing your father as a “magician” during the interrogation. That he always said he could escape anything. As if this all doesn’t sound crazy enough, I took a DNA sample of yours. Um, there was a hair on the table in the interrogation room when you left. I sent it with one of my own. I am 100% your father.”

“Actually, it’s more like 50% because her mo-“ Merritt interjected, trying to break the awkwardness, but he received a hit in the stomach from Jack.

You laughed, your tears of happiness mixing with the choking sound that erupted from your lungs. You weren’t sure what to do, so you decided on the only thing that you ever wanted to do; you hugged your father.

Dylan, after receiving a blow to his stomach by your surprise attack, closed his eyes, wrapping his arms around you and settling his head on top of yours.

“I always imagined hugging my father one day,” you mumbled against his chest.

Dylan’s body shook with his laughter. “I never imagined hugging my daughter but I wouldn’t have it any other way.”

Again you choked out a sob. Dylan held you at arms length, allowing you to dry your eyes. He stared at you carefully, like he was studying you for a test that he had the next morning. “Wow. I can’t believe I didn’t notice it sooner. You look exactly like your mom,” Dylan smiled, pulling you back into a hug and pressing his lips into the top of your hair.