Status: new story B)

It Comes in Darkness

Chapter 3

Casey would not tell his wife Camilla about this. Casey had his own four year old son to worry about and he was sure if he told her, she would scold him and tell him to think of his child, which he would do. But suddenly he felt how Liv did, that not looking for Ryan personally when there were signs that someone knew where they could at least find his remains, was akin to neglecting him or allowing him to fade away. Instead, he told his friend John.

John was a friend of Casey's that Liv had never particularly liked or disliked, nor had Ryan. Ryan tolerated him, but every time John left Ryan's sight he seemed to complain about him. John also liked to stare. It was safe to say he had a staring problem and he liked to stare at Liv which made a few people uncomfortable, not including her. Casey assured everyone that John just had a petty crush and it was harmless, but Liv started feeling like one day she was gonna tell him if he didn't find something else to look at he would regret it.

He was attractive and tall like Ryan but closer to Casey's age. Under different circumstances and provided she had never known Ryan, Liv sometimes wondered if it would bother her that John stared but now it didn't matter. Since she was pregnant she noticed he looked still, but less, and in a different way. It seemed sad and she didn't allow herself to focus on the idea that this mildly creepy man was fantasizing that he might have had his own family with her. Maybe he just pitied that she would now be a single mother. She hoped it was that one, but didn't hold her breath.

“Dude that sounds fucking insane. There's no fucking way I'm doing that shit.” Liv was partially tuned out to their conversation, but she knew convincing John to maybe, potentially risk his life to hunt down a kidnapper, potential murderer and mystery person would be a stretch. Sure enough, he didn't want to.

Liv looked better. The hope of understanding what happened to Ryan, and the search for him convinced her to eat and to start taking care of herself. Still much smaller than she should be, the color of her skin looked better and her eyes were no longer so lifeless that maybe you could have mistaken her for being near death.

After agreeing to stay with Casey, she spent most of her time quietly plotting the plan for the search they planned for Ryan. There was no clue if police had the same idea to stake out the next plot point on this straight-line graph, but she assumed while there might be increased police presence, they would not actively be hunting for a killer. Maybe they would.

“I know it sounds insane. You don't have to do anything, just be in the car with us while we do the driving.” Casey pleaded with him. The sudden interest in finding out what happened to Ryan surprised Liv and strengthened her bond to him.

“Nah. Nah I can't do that. What if it actually IS a killer? Do you really want them to know our license plate number and the car we're in? We have no idea what happened and while I think it's awesome you want to go play detective, we have absolutely no way to tell what the risk involved would be.”

Hope he would join was fading fast and Liv up to this point had remained silent but while Casey rubbed his forehead, Liv got up and took one of John's hands in hers. “I'll rent a car for us then. Please come, I'd feel safer if you were there.” The manipulation felt gross, but she knew it would work and as a guarantee, she took one of his hands in both of hers and felt the warmth of his strong hands and long fingers.

After a few moments of thought that were spent doing what he did best...staring at her, he subtly puffed himself back up and nodded. It took practically nothing from her to convince him. Perhaps he did just have a crush. She didn't really care if he did and wasn't worried about it. By now she figured he probably thought it would increase his chances of wooing her when they inevitably returned empty handed and if she did come back empty handed she figured she would agree.

Days later it was their best chance if they were really interested in doing it. Liv decided she would drive her car out of state and rent one before they drove it the rest of the way.

Loading the car up to begin their journey they packed food, blankets, water, phone charges, batteries, flashlights but it was John who showed up with the real equipment. A box of tools and a shotgun.

“You are not bringing that, dude. I'm sorry there's no fucking way.” Casey told him, standing back with a look of disbelief.

John shook his head and loaded it into the car anyways. “I'm not going anywhere without that thing. No where. Do you understand? If someone comes after us I'd rather have a guarantee they stop.”

“You're not going to run into anyone you need to use it on. You are gonna end up hurting one of us with that fucking thing. Right?” Turning to Liv, Casey looked right back at John. “Right? Liv tell him.”

Liv, nervous and feeling on the spot shifted nervously loading bags into the car. “Actually I asked him to bring it specifically. He was right. We have no idea what is happening. I don't want to take the chance without at least a little insurance.”

Offense painted Casey's face. “You ASKED him to bring a gun? You think if we do run into someone who needs shooting that we're not going to look insane snooping around another state for a guy who's been missing for more than half a year or a murderer when we end up having to call the god damn police? I mean have either of you thought this through?”

John's eyes shifted to Liv. He would leave it if she asked or keep it in there if she wanted.

“I'd rather look crazy than us look dead if this goes south. John thank you very much.” Liv shoved the last bag into the back seat and shut the door.

He smiled to himself almost invisibly. "You're welcome." His eyes came up to Casey's as John got into the back seat of the car. "Come on slow poke, let's go."
♠ ♠ ♠
most of this is just filler but i couldnt have no filler because then the story would be like 4 chapters long or something idk