Break the Rules

Let Me Under Your Skin

It was late, and she just wanted to get home. She yawned, rubbing her face and steering briefly with her knees. There wasn’t another single soul on the back road, just trees for days. Another shift at the diner done; she just had to make it home. Both hands back on the bottom of the wheel, her light orchid eyes stared out the windshield into the darkness. Only her headlights illuminated anything. Hearing something odd, she turned down her music. Was something wrong with her car?

No, it was probably the lifted pick up heading directly for her.

She knew there was no avoiding the truck - they were bee-lined straight for her. Whoever was driving clearly had a vendetta. Fear filled her being and she clamped her eyes shut, clinging to the steering wheel for dear life. She felt every second of the impact, getting jerked around and being held in place by her seatbelt. She heard her windshield shatter right before the glass came flying in at her, slashing up her face and chest. The car was rammed right off the side of the road, tumbling down a hill until it was upside down and totalled.

Her vision started to darken and she couldn’t find her voice. She couldn’t find where to unclasp her seatbelt, barely able to move with a large branch jutting out from her chest. Tears flowed down her pale, bloody face and with the last bit of energy she had she let out a violent cry of pain.

Please, she mentally begged as everything began to fade, I don’t want to die...someone...anyone...I don’t even care who at this point just please let me live! God, angels, someone - something I don’t care! Even in her thoughts she sobbed. The blood rushed to her head, speeding up the process. Lucifer himself could pull me from this car right now and I’d be forever indebted...please...somebody help me…

Hundreds of miles away, Sam and Dean Winchester believed that they had just taken the Colt to Lucifer and stopped the apocalypse. Relief washed over them, until he sat up.

“Ow!” He complained. “Where the hell did you get that?” He snapped, flinging Dead a good distance away from him. “There’s only a few things in existence that that gun can’t kill - I just so happen to be one of them.” He shrugged. “Now if you don’t mind, I really do have to get back to summoning Death.”

Sam looked back at his brother about to snap. “I will never say yes to you,” he made clear. “You’re incapable of love, of caring about your family. How--”

Lucifer turned slowly, glaring icy daggers at the young Winchester. “Don’t you dare say a word against my family, Sam. There’s much more to the story than you could possibly--” He stopped abruptly, putting Sam on edge. A curious look overcame his face, something unreadable in his eyes. He looked puzzled, baffled almost. “We’re not done here,” he muttered before vanishing.

His blue eyes looked over the small, silver car, flipped upside down and looking bashed beyond belief. He could smell her blood, splattered all over the remains of the vehicle. Slowly, his feet walked through the crunching leaves towards the vehicle. The closer he got, the clearer he could just barely hear her faint heart beat and staggered breaths. She was on the brink of death and called for Lucifer.

“Well if I wasn’t already damned,” he chuckled, ripping the metal door away. Finally he saw her, her own blood splattered all about her pale skin. Curiouser and curiouser he made his way closer to the girl, unable to move between her seatbelt and branch. Her eyes were closed, raven hair matted with blood. She looked, almost, familiar to him. Carefully he reached out and gently stroked her cold cheek. “God isn’t with you, sweetheart,” he told her quietly. “He never was. And now it’ll always be just me.” He smirked.

With ease, he ripped the seat belt to shreds. She shifted slightly, still held in place by the branch. He realized it staked all the way through her chest. Without hesitation, he yanked the branch from her body, allowing her to fall into his arms. He carried her out bridal style, setting her down gently against a tree. Holding his palm over the gaping hole in her chest, his eyes illuminated crimson and a bright light was emitted over her wound until it closed. Once the hole was healed, her heart and breathing picked back up. He was proud of his work. Almost.

Looking back up towards the road and back down to her car, he knew immediately that it was no accident. And for some reason that made him extremely angry. Slowly, a plan began to form in his head. He scanned over the young girl once more, deeming that she should awake shortly. With a smirk making its way across his lips, he snapped his fingers, allowing a single golden white feather to appear in her lap. He had much bigger things to tend to; a snowball to turn into an avalanche. And thanks to that girl, he finally knew exactly how he was going to get what he desired.

Looking her over on final time, he vanished in the sound of wings flapping, appearing back before the brothers and returning to summoning Death. “Oh!” He quipped. “You two may want to take a little trip towards…” he tapped his chin, recalling something, “towards route 40 I believe? Heading towards Arkansas. Lovely little lady was just seriously injured. I’m sure she’s going to lose her mind when she wakes up. You two might want to get her before she runs screaming my name through the town.” He smirked and laughed sardonically. “Although maybe that isn’t such a terrible thing. I mean, she’ll be screaming my name eventually. Just a matter of the context.” He licked his lips devilishly.

Sam and Dean looked up at him with great horror. Not even questioning it, they jumped into the Impala, checking their police scanners, and darted off to route 40. Whatever Lucifer had in mind needed to be nipped in the bud before he could do any real damage. Last thing they needed was for him to get some kind of leverage with an innocent girl.

She groaned, sitting forward slowly. Everything ached and her ears still partially rang. Finally gathering herself, she realized she was no longer in her car and alive. She began to panic, jumping to her feet, when she noticed the feather fall to the ground. With shaking hands, she reached down and grabbed the small thing, admiring the way it reflected gold in the moonlight. It was so light, almost weightless and nonexistent, reflecting like it was made with real gold. She was breathless.

Shaking it off and putting the feather in her inner jacket pocket, she looked to her car. She should be dead the way the metal contorted. Instead of dwelling, she looked up the hill and began her hike. One way or another she needed to get back onto the road for help. Even on the off chance her phone wasn’t smashed to smithereens, there was no way in hell she was going anywhere near her car to check.

She had no idea what time it was anymore, how long she was out cold, anything. She just knew she had to get back onto the road to start. Ignoring everything else, she pushed herself up. It had to be at least another hour at her pace before she finally crawled up onto pavement. She exhaled the biggest sigh of relief, sitting on a guardrail to take a break. As she finally started to catch her breath, she heard a vehicle coming her way and immediately jumped up to get their attention. She almost broke out laughing she was so happy when the old Chevy pulled up next to her.

“Jesus Christ, kid, are you alright?” the driver addressed her as he got out. His passenger ran over, just as mortified.

“I don’t even fucking know,” she answered honestly. “I don’t know what’s going on, or why, but I was rammed off the road. You can probably see my little whip over the side - she’s upside down.” She quipped mocked and mused. “I don’t know how I’m alive. Last thing I knew I was pinned upside down by my seatbelt and this fat branch in my chest but look! Nothing!” She pulled down her collar enough to show that there wasn’t a single scratch on her aside from all the dried blood and a few cuts on her face. “You guys have to think I’m losing my mind and I have a concussion or something, don’t you?”

The boys exchanged wary glances before the driver chuckled. “You’d be surprised, ah?”

“Lux,” she smiled. “Lux Maristela. Yeah I know it’s a weird as hell name. My mom was a hippie or some shit.” She waved it off.

“Lux,” the passenger mused, a chill running down his spice. “Well I’m Sam and this is my brother Dean. Why don’t you sit and relax in our car and we’ll go check out yours? Is there anything important in there you want us to look for?”

Lux got the hint that this was no 911-calling, cop involving hit and run. Those brothers were something else. And after all she’d already been through, she didn’t want any hospitals or cops. She wanted answers. She nodded slowly. “Yeah, uhm, my black leather purse? Or at the very least the white wallet. I can get a new phone and whatnot.”

The brothers nodded, Dean helping her into the back of the Impala and giving her his jacket before taking off down the hill. The moment they laid eyes on the car they knew she should have been dead.

“Lucifer was right,” Sam chortled, picking up the branch coated in Lux’s blood.

“Why the hell would Satan himself pause from summoning Death to go spare some chick’s life though?”

“She had to have,” he paused, feeling disgusted, “prayed to him or something. We’ve got to keep her safe, Dean. Clearly there’s more here than we’re seeing and it’s something Lucifer wants.”

“He probably saved her to use her as a bargaining chip or something,” Dean rolled his eyes. “Who the hell even prays to freakin’ Lucifer?!”

“She must have been desperate, Dean. Look at this wreck. She was probably scared out of her mind and begged for anyone to hear her.”

“Okay, so why’d purple eyes up there get ran off the road to begin with?”

Silence fell upon the brothers.