Break the Rules

Take My Hand Through the Flames

Lucifer’s eyes widened slowly; it all finally made sense. “I thought I knew that face somewhere,” he spoke softly, glancing down at an ever lost Lux. He looked to the Winchesters, slowly rising and poised to attack to get Lux back, then to his own brother who was still staring at the young girl. Possessively and protectively, he snaked his arm around her waist, fingertips just barely brushing over her left hip and making her shudder. “I believe we’re done here, boys.”

“Lucifer, don’t you dare do this all over again!” Gabriel called out, starting to panic. “It’s been eons and still her soul bears your mark! Please, brother. I just want it to be over.”

Lux was still fixated on the whole ‘Alexandria’ ordeal that she missed the ‘eons’ part. Lost in her own racing thoughts, she relaxed into Lucifer’s side, a silent way of telling him that she was staying right there; that she put her faith entirely into him. Gently, he leaned his forehead against her temple, taking in the scent of her hair. “I’ll explain later, alright?” He whispered. Much to everyone’s dismay, the ravenette closed her eyes and nodded. Looking back to the three males before him, he smirked. “We’ll be seeing you boys soon.” With a wink, the two vanished into a flutter of feathers.

“Gabriel,” Sam started carefully, “what the hell just happened? Who’s Alexandria?”

“The first and only other angel Lucifer ever showed any hint of kindness towards,” the young archangel replied, finally gathering himself. “She was just about as powerful as he was, her Grace burning the brightest shade of lilac next to his gold. She would always manifest herself into various human form until she found exactly what she liked. She loved being corporal, which prompted Lucifer to do the same because it was the only way she’d really hang out with anyone. They were…” He shook his head. “They were like the power couple of Heaven without the label. He loved her even more than Father at one point I believe…”

The brothers looked at each other with a hint of fear. “We need to know their full story, Gabriel.” Dean told him. “Because obviously shit’s about to really hit the damn fan.”

Hoisting himself onto the table to sit and rubbing his face, the archangel sighed. “She was beautiful, corporal or not. Lucifer’s Grace was the brightest and strongest of the four of us, but sometimes hers shined even just a little brighter to tease him. When she finally found a form she enjoyed, anyone could look at her and just know she was something more. She had this long, black hair that shimmered indigo in the light, a soft, round face with cheekbones that could cut someone, and the most vibrant amethyst eyes anyone had ever seen. She might as well have taken two stones and melted them down for her eyes.
“She’d dance all around Heaven, her laugh being so boisterous and catchy that it would have an entire garrison unable to breathe from laughing. But Alexandria was also selfish and hated being told what to do. She’d wander about any sector of Heaven, no fucks given. The four of us always enjoyed when she’d snuck over to see us,” he chuckled. “Her and Raphael were constantly at each other’s throats,” he rolled his eyes. “Between her and Lucifer, they both taught me everything I know today. She was like, the start of all Tricksters. And Michael absolutely hated it. But watching her torment Michael and Raphael got Lucifer’s attention.”

“What a surprise,” muttered Dean, “troublemaker of Heaven getting the devil’s attention.” Sam smacked his arm and allowed Gabriel to continue.

“They hit it off literally in an instant,” the Trickster continued. “As in they took one look at each other and that was probably the Big Bang that created the Earth as we know it. There was no keeping her away from our garrison after that. It didn’t matter where she was sent, under whose orders because she’d just tell you to get bent and run off to play with the archangels.
“When our Father created humanity, Alexandria was incredibly curious. It was partially with her help that He even got the idea for their corporal bodies. But it just wasn’t good enough. She was so confused, wondering why the humans were so incredibly ‘bland looking’ she referred to them as. Lucifer was disgusted, only growing furious when our Father said we had to protect these creatures and bow before them. Love them more than Him.”

“So, what? Pretty girl just took his side because she was vain?”

He shook his head. “Alexandria refused to bow to anyone. She was the most strong willed angel I’d ever seen in my life. She didn’t even take orders from God, for fuck’s sake. When she was told to bow to the humans, you know who she ran to? Her best friend, Lucifer. It was then that they decided they wouldn’t take it anymore. It started off fine, just a conversation to sort everything out. But then Michael and Lucifer started to argue which got his temper going and then Michael decided to take some cheap shots at Alexandria. Well let me tell you, Hell really does have no fury like a woman scorned.”

“Wait, she attacked Michael?” Sam concluded. “The first born archangel to ever exist?”

Dean started to laugh. “She threw down with that dickbag no problem? Or did he just smite her on spot?”

The haunting look in Gabriel’s eyes concerned the brothers. “Alexandria yanked Lucifer’s archangel blade right from him and started swinging.” That caught them off guard. “She wounded him decently, much to all our surprise. Even when he started to fight back,” he shook his head. “I think what really glued Lucifer to Alexandria wasn’t just when she was defending him. It was amidst the fight that she literally stood before him and let out this wail that still haunts most angels to this day. She wailed, the sound nearly shattering Heaven, and then there were wings. Wings at least as big as the archangel’s behind her and as dark as the night. The second her wings came up, it was war. But once her wings were fully unfolded, everyone lost a little bit of themselves in her somehow. Lucifer’s just so happened to be in adoration.”

“What happened to Alexandria than if she waged war and helped start Lucifer’s rebellion? Lucifer got kicked down to the Pit, so why have we never heard of this chick before?”

“Because we thought she was dead,” he admitted, looking at the floor. “When Lucifer and Alexandria were caught for their crimes against Heaven, Alexandria vowed then and there that it didn’t matter what happened to her because she would always find her way back to her ‘favorite archangel’. She took his hand, smiling up at him one last time, making her final decision. Before they could rip Lucifer from her, they grabbed hold of each other, quickly forever burning their essence into each other. Lucifer was contained and forced to watch as Michael,” he paused, the memory sickening him, “ripped her wings from her back…”

Sam and Dean looked absolutely mortified. They knew angels were cruel, and that there was a lot of family beef going on, but they had no clue it was that bad. That Michael actually had the gall to rip another angel’s wings from them just as punishment.

“That’s why Lucifer got so pissed when Lux screamed,” Gabriel continued quietly, closing his eyes. “It was the same sound that came from Alexandria as she lost her wings.”

“What ah,” Sam started, clearing his throat, “what happened to her after that?”

He took a breath before continuing. “Lucifer was cast to Hell, but tried his damndest to break free to see Alexandria. So Michael made the Cage, locked him up, and threw away the key. With Michael busy in Hell, Alexandria broke free and came to me and Raphael. She was still hurt, and incredibly weak. She made up her mind - she was going to take the Fall. Anything to get out of Heaven and off Michael’s radar. Somewhere in Heaven or on Earth I know that bastard stashed her wings. And I’m sure that’s what Lucifer’s going to go for next.”

The three men sat in silence, not making eye contact. At least Dean finally understood why the mutation was called Alexandria's Genesis.

Lux let out the breath she had been holding from her seat next to Lucifer in his window nook. “So, what? Am I Alexandria or her reincarnate or vessel or what?”

“I think her Grace manifested for centuries,” he mused, staring out the window. “Kept wandering in an attempt to survive. I believe you and her are one in the same, but two completely different people.” He turned to her, lifting her head up to look at him with his index finger under her chin. “Try not to dwell in the past, Lux. You may have a connection to Alexandria, but you’re not Alexandria.” He offered her a small smile.

She looked up at him curiously. “But you loved her, didn’t you?”

He stared at her for a moment, running his thumb over her cheek. “Don’t use words neither of us understand fully.”

“Than why am I sitting here with you?” Her lips twitched towards a smirk of her own.

He quirked an eyebrow and got nose to nose with her, smirking wolfishly. “Don’t test me, sweetheart.”

Lux didn’t even flinch. She stared right back at him, nose to nose, finally noticing all the small details. His baby blue eyes looked tired and hollowed, skin starting to tear from his vessel unable to properly hold him; he looked even more like a hot mess than she did. Carefully, she reached up with both of her hands, placing them gently on his cheeks. “I don’t know what I’m doing,” she muttered, “but…”

He was about to back up a little, wondering what she meant, when her eyes illuminated a gallant amethyst. Underneath her hands began to heat up on his face, and he could feel his vessel’s wounds healing. A moment later, she returned her hands to her lap, irises returning to their normal violet. She smiled up at him, taking a small compact mirror from her bag on the floor and handing it to him. Lucifer was in disbelief; she had healed his vessel back to new.

“I don’t know,” she told him with a shrug. “I just…”

“Felt it?” He answered for her, still glancing at his reflection. He hummed, musing over everything that was unfolding. “I don’t think it matters how you’re connected to Alexandria, Lux. Because one way or another,” he looked back at his reflection briefly, “you’re destined for her wings.”

Lux was taken back slightly. “You mean the wings your brother ripped from her back?” She shuddered. “I don’t quite see how I qualify.”

“Alexandria is long gone, sweetheart. Somehow, you have a connection to her existence. You’re not her, you’re something much more. And she knew that, I’m sure. So we need to get you wings; her wings.”

“I still don’t understand though. Last I checked, I’m still human. She was an angel. How can I even take her wings if we find them?”

“Because they’re destined for you, Lux. With the Power you already hold from Alexandria’s protection and my Grace, you’ll be able to be something much greater.”

She stared up at him, lips parted slightly in thought. She was already this deep in, why not try to ram an angel’s old wings into her back? “Where do we even go about finding Alexandra’s wings?”

Lucifer smirked and touched her cheek again. No, she wasn’t Alexandria. She was a much better replacement.