‹ Prequel: Paramus
Sequel: Rough Waters

Moving Forward

Kurt

Kurt didn’t know if he’d ever see his dad again. It was something he tried not to think of, but in the wake of what they’d all seen at Paramus he’d been forced to face it. There was a very real, very unthinkably terrifying and devastating possibility that they would arrive on a similar scene in Lima, Ohio.

Which wasn’t to say he didn’t have faith in his family, of course. Burt Hummel and Carole Hudson were two of the strongest people Kurt had ever known. His dad had guns and attitude and knew how to use both. Kurt had faith in his dad’s ability to survive this, and to keep the rest of his family alive.

But, at the same time, things happened, and there was no sense in pretending his family was immune to disaster just because they had guns, or they were Hummels (and Hudsons, Hudsons were made of pretty tough stuff, too.)

After all, he and Rachel had been fairly confident about their barricade in the loft, hadn’t they? Santana had been certain she’d be back after she got Dani, hadn’t she? The four of them had all been sure they’d have a place to say in Paramus…

The point being: The apocalypse fucked everyone over, and it didn’t care who you were, how tough you were, or how prepared you thought you were. It didn’t care about your plans, your feelings, or who you loved. When he considered it, Kurt supposed life had always been that way actually, brutal in its indifference, but the end of the world really helped to highlight that fact.

Still, he had to hope for the best, didn’t he? Hold onto a sense of hope and hold onto the faith he had in his family to stay alive. He had to. If he didn’t, then what was the point of continuing their journey? Hell, what would be the point of anything?

And whatever, good or bad, was waiting for them in Lima, when they finally made it, well, they’d deal with that when they got there. For now, they had to stay alive and keep going and just hope everyone in Lima was doing the same.