‹ Prequel: Paramus
Sequel: Rough Waters

Moving Forward

Elliott

Elliott hadn’t slept more than an hour or two since… His world had ended. It was funny, wasn’t it? The world was ending, it was a real live fucking apocalypse, and yet… His world was only ending now.

His past and his future were both destroyed. He was left with nothing but here and now. He was lucky to have Sebastian and their new companions; without them he wouldn’t have made it through. As it was, he still felt like he could go completely to pieces at any time; it wouldn’t take much at all. He was already broken.

He could never go home again. He would never see his family again. They were just gone. All of it was just gone.

Some moments it left him hollow, numb. Others the hurt was so intense, unlike any he’d ever known before. He didn’t know he could hurt so bad and still live. He supposed humans, for all their frailties, really were designed to survive even the worst shit imaginable. He felt like walking proof of that as they traveled on, leaving the wreckage of his old hometown further and further behind them. Because each passing day after the end of his world, he was shocked to find himself still breathing, still moving forward, still unbelievably, painfully alive.

And sometimes, usually on late, sleepless nights when Seb, Kurt, or Adam were also awake and could talk him through some of the turmoil and devastation in his head and heart, he even felt the faintest spark of hope. He realized why he clung so tightly to life even though nearly every moment was torment. In a kind word from Adam, a strong, supportive hand on his shoulder from Kurt when words had failed them both, in Seb’s arms one night when he simply couldn’t hold it together anymore, in those moments, he realized it. His past was in ruins, his present was shaky, but sometimes he felt maybe just maybe there was some sort of hope for his future. His world had ended, but in its ashes a new world was forming.