Beyond the Horizon

cold

It was the sun setting, revealing the city lights under the dark night sky, like stars of their own. He thought about the way she would smile at him, the lines around her mouth like the ones that connected the lights in the city, and in the sky, creating stories like the ones she told him.

She always wanted to visit the city. That was all he could think about as he stood there, with a cigarette burning between his fingers. He could only imagine how much she would love it.

The tall buildings around him didn't show when the sun was fully set, like the horizon was her arms, and his warmth was all she needed to make her well again.

The orange glow of the cigarette would never burn more bright than the lights reflecting behind his eyes. He let it fall to the ground, crushed beneath his boots. Even with all the city lights, he felt cold.

He looked up to the sky once more. He hadn't noticed how cloudy the night sky could be. It seemed to make him colder.

A final exhale, visible as it left his lips, and his voice that was gone before it could reach the stars.

"I wish you were here, Ma."

The lights gave him one last warm embrace before the door shut quietly behind him.