Status: In the Works

Twisted Ties

Devastation

She was sitting in the farthest corner of the room, prim and proper the way she was supposed to be. Her hair was tied up so tight it left people guessing at the true color. Sky blue eyes flicked over the room with a clear lack of interest. However, when a set of black eyes flicked her way, she was sure to sit straight, and put on a smile. Just as she had been taught to do in all those classes her step-father had insisted she take and learn from correctly. All to appease someone else. She wasn't a person to anyone in this room, just a commodity, meant to enjoy the mingling with people she had never liked.

As far as she was concerned, each and every one of them was the same. That young man over there had used a hostile takeover on his father's company to get where he was, and the young woman with him had left her husband to be with him. They had been in an affair for years though no one spoke of it. An older gentleman dealt arms under the cover of being an art museum, though she only discovered that when she stumbled upon it in one of her stepfather's notes. They were all human, just like her, and sure humans were aloud to make mistakes, but most of these people did things on purpose.

Still, even if she wanted to, it wasn’t like she could go forward with any of the information. They all had lawyers that would get them out with a warning, and even if they didn’t, she was rarely able to leave the house. Or as she preferred to call it, a glorified cage. At some point, daddy dearest turned his gaze elsewhere, and she let her shoulders slump a little. A sigh escaped her and she was oh so tempted to just up and leave.

Claire had been warned that she should be on her best behavior tonight however. And so without complaint, she had donned the one-of-kind dress her stepmother had insisted on her wearing, the strappy heels that made her wonder how models didn't break something wearing them, and of course, the makeup and perfume that left her out of breath and feeling buried. All so that she would look proper in front of the families guests. And while she would much rather be comfortable, it wasn't an option tonight.

Twenty years old, with no freedom to speak of. In a college that wasn't her choice, for classes she didn't want to take. The same faces day in and day out. Life was boring to say the least. A heavy sigh escaped her, as yet another person approached her. They had started talking, not even phased by the fact that she wasn’t doing any of the speaking. The same talk, money this, high rank that. Most girls dream of meeting some rich, good looking guy, who comes in to sweep them off their feet. At the moment however, Claire was just hoping to get out of the room without being noticed.

As poised as possible, she lifted herself from her seat, smiling sweetly she excused herself from the conversation. Another fake smile appeared when someone stepped in her path. Excusing herself to the ladies room, she slipped away upstairs. Only to run into her stepmother at the top landing. Panic ran through her for a moment. Had she been caught? Would she be sent back downstairs? "You look tired dear, would you like a cup of tea?" The woman wasn’t usually kind enough for something like that. If anything she would order one of the servants to get a tea.

Claire shook her head. All she wanted to do right now, was escape to her room. "It's already made though." She heard her stepmother say. Looking down at the woman's hands, there was a mug filled with steaming hot liquid. The teabag was still in the thing too, and if she had to guess on an inhale, it was one of her favorite tea's. Strong too if she could smell it over the amount of perfume she had to endure. Accepting it to appease the woman, she mentioned needing a break from the party. An excuse which was actually accepted for once. If the womans kindness wasn’t what did it, that should have been the tip off.

Upstairs she slipped into her room, inhaling the scent coming from her tea she frowned. It smelled a little strange. Maybe there was no sugar in it? Taking a sip however she found that something really was off, and it wasn't the sugar. Maybe she had been mistaken and it was some other flavor? Another sip to test it, but that didn't help. Whatever it was, she couldn’t tell, between the perfume and lack of air. That and the party was catching up to her, she was getting a headache. Sitting down on her bed, she took a good long drink of her tea. She was barely halfway through it, but she knew without a doubt she wouldn’t be able to finish the thing. She was too tired. One last sip, and she went to set it off to the side. She had meant to put it on the night stand, but it seemed to land on the floor.

Tilting her head to one side, she watched it for a long moment before shaking it off. Everything felt like it had been happening in slow motion, which was impossible. She considered cleaning it up, but no doubt if she tried, the maid would freak out and tell her step-mother. Falling back onto her bed, she found herself closing her eyes, and before long she had fallen asleep. But something wasn't right. She was still kind of aware, and her body felt heavy, not like the rested feeling she got with sleep. To make matters worse, she could hear voices, two men...maybe more, they were talking. About a car, and a forest? Why?

It felt like it had only been half an hour. Cracking open her eyes after a short rest she realized two things. First? She felt far too rested to have only been out for half an hour, and second? She was no longer in the bedroom. That had the warning bells going off. Where was she? Too scared to move for a moment, she looked around. By the looks of it, she was in the back seat of a car, and the driver was someone she didn't recognize. Had she been kidnapped? Highly unlikely. Keeping quiet she twisted her gaze to the door, the thing was still unlocked which was good, maybe this was just one of the chauffeurs. If she had slept longer than she thought her father might have loaded her into a car to get somewhere. But then...wouldn’t she had a seat belt on?

"Yes sir, she is out like a light and we will be there in no time. Yes. Yes I understand. Don't worry, after I kill her the animals will make sure there is nothing left. Yes. Of course. Yup, middle of the forest just like you said."

Listening to the driver on the phone, she couldn't believe it, and yet, she could. This wouldn't be the first time an 'accident' had happened. But clearly this was going to be the last. Carefully she scooted herself closer to the door, making sure he wasn't looking in the rear-view mirror. Opening the door wouldn't work, most cars had those built in beepers these days. And the last thing she wanted was to draw his attention. If what he said was about her, she would die if he caught her. So instead she opened the window. Automatic meant it was much quieter, but there was still the getting out part.

There were a lot of trees, but she didn't have a lot of time to consider this. Pulling off her heels she put them down on the floor, before hauling herself part way through the window. She was half way to jumping when she heard a curse leave the driver, to make matters worse, the car went over a bump that sent her sailing out the window and down a small hill. It was a miracle she hadn't hit any trees on her way down. She didn’t remember the tumble, just the car, air, and ground. Looking herself over however she frowned. Her dress was ruined, and her hair had dirt and twigs in it, but she seemed otherwise okay. "Ouch." Looking back up the hill she frowned. The sound of the car had stopped, or maybe he was just far enough away now that she couldn't hear it?

Listening closely for a moment, she heard a male voice curse. "You little ***** When I catch you, you're dead!" She was half tempted to yell back, but chose to stay quiet. Provoking someone who already wanted her dead, would be stupid. Without shoes this was not a good idea, but it was better than breaking her neck in heels. Twisting around she started running. With no idea where she was, or which way was to town, she was liable to get lost. But anything was better than being anywhere near that driver.

A few moments later, the sound of a gunshot going off had her lifting her hands to cover her head, and dropping to the ground. "What the hell?" Looking back towards the hill she could see the driver up there, a gun aimed her way. A quick look up, and she could see where the bullet had hit a nearby tree. If she hadn’t been moving to turn the other way, that might have gone clean through her skull. Fear had her pushing herself to her feet, and she ran as fast and hard as she could.
♠ ♠ ♠
I hope you are all enjoying the re-write so far as much as I am. Attempting to leave out details previously simply was not working at all. And don't worry about the quick pace, I promise there will be time later to go backwards and dig in with more detail. There will be a lot on our main characters that will not be discovered until later. You will have to stay tuned!