Status: In the Works

Twisted Ties

What was Taking so long?

Dare cracked his eyes open, looking past the veil of black hair, he took in an empty room. The human was still on the bed, the window had since been patched, and there was a soft knock on the door yet again. Opening the thing up, he watched as the nurse brought a tray of food over and set it on the table beside him. She went and talked to the human for a few minutes before making a note in the chart, and leaving her be. Glancing at his food he curled his lip. This was probably going to give her the wrong impression.

Standing up he stretched first, grateful that beside the tray was a new shirt. A quick sniff and yes there was no scent of human. Tugging the thing on he grabbed the tray of food and brought it over to her. “Here. Eat.” When she turned to look at him, he actually felt a chill go through him. He expected her to say something, instead, he watched as she turned to look towards where the window had been. “I said Eat.” Still no answer. Placing the tray on the table just beside her he moved closer. “What the hell is your problem?” When her gaze flicked back to him, it was easy enough to tell she wasn’t happy.

“You told me to shut up. Now you want me to talk? Which one is it?” Her attitude had surprised him. It was the first time she had actually held such a sour tone. A growl ripped through him, and he was glad he had set the tray down, otherwise it would probably be all over the wall now. This woman was infuriating! And that look on her face, it was so smug, so stuck up, so I-told-you-so, so...so...human. He had to straighten himself back up before he did something he would later come to regret.

“Fine don’t eat. I don’t care.” He almost missed the faint smile on her face as he twisted away and stormed off to the other side of the room. He couldn’t understand it at all. Sitting his rear back down on the floor he crossed his arms over his chest and huffed. Okay, he felt a little childish, a sigh escaped him and he change position, but it didn’t make it any better. Of all the things to think about, he found himself wishing she had just kept her usual ‘it-will-be-okay’ attitude. At least he had gotten used to that.

He was completely unaware she had been watching him. After a few long moments of imagining what he could be doing if she hadn’t been saved, he glanced her way just for his teeth to click he slammed his jaw closed so fast. She was watching him! Was she insane? “What?” He growled. What reason could she possibly have for watching him like that? Hadn’t he made it clear before how much he hated things like that?

Dare watched as she tilted her head slightly, she didn’t even try to look away. She didn’t even seem to flinch when his lip curled in a mock snarl. “You look like a caged animal.” The words were spoken softly, as though she felt bad for putting him in such a position, and his blood felt like it was made of ice. Looking away he shrugged. It didn’t matter what she thought or what was going on. She could shove it right up her rear for all he cared.

“I don’t much care for spending so much time indoors.” It was honest, his words were a little tough, but she cold suck it up. He wasn’t here to play nice like the others. If she didn’t like it she could find the door and let herself out. When she spoke about him just going outside he shook his head. “No can do. My job is to stick around you and make sure no one does anything stupid.” She finally looked away then, and he thought that was the end of the conversation. Letting his eyes fall closed he relaxed for just a moment, before he heard her voice again.

“If I were you, I’d rather be outside. I’d miss the sun and moonlight, the fresh air, the sounds of birds singing, the way the trees creak and rustle their leaves in the wind…” She had spoken slowly, and for a moment, just a moment, he actually understood. While she had directed the comments to him, she was talking about herself. She felt caged. She missed the outdoors. It was an odd concept to try and hold onto. He wasn’t used to human acting like she did.

It was strange, humans typically spent as much time inside as they possibly could right? On their devices and in front of screens, or at least reading. Why would she miss the outdoors so much? Not wanting to dwell on it he cast his gaze away. “You should eat the food she bought you.” Her tone was light and she probably meant well, but he was having none of that. And certainly not from the likes of a human. Rolling his eyes he sighed.

“Don’t tell me what to do.” To that she only murmured that it was a suggestion. “Yeah well you can take your suggestion and shove it righ-” His phrase was cut short as a loud single knock hit the door. He scrambled to his feet to open the thing. Eliot didn’t even bother saying anything, he just let himself in, and walked over to the human. Dare watched carefully, was he here to give news? Was he changing his mind on what happened to her? The two talked quietly for some time. Just before Eliot left, he put his hand on Dare’s shoulder. The look in Eliot’s eyes sent a chill rushing through him, but he nodded nonetheless.

Just what had they talked about? Why hadn’t he been paying better attention? Glancing towards the human once more he was surprised to find such a defeated look on her face. Had she been told she was going to die? Frowning he shook his head. If that were the case, Eliot wouldn’t have said anything. He would have been calm and cool, and when the girl let her guard down he would have snapped her neck so she felt nothing. He heard her sigh, and a moment later she grabbed the tray of food to start eating. At least he wouldn’t have to argue with her over that. When she was finished eating she glanced his way, and he actually flinched. Her eyes were red like she had been crying and yet, her cheeks weren’t wet from tears.

“Is there any way I could have some orange juice?” She asked him, but he had no answer for her, he was still trying to figure out what had happened. Just what on earth had Eliot told her that had her being so mild again? Twisting around however, he moved to the door, opened it, and called out for one of the nurses. They could deal with whatever the girl needed or wanted, he wasn’t an errand boy. “Thank-you.” Glancing over his shoulder at her he couldn’t hide the hints of surprise from his expression. But it worked out just fine, she wasn’t looking at him.

After a few long moments there was still no one out there. What on earth was taking so long? He was about to holler out for someone again when the subtle scent of saltwater touched his nose. Pausing with the door open he inhaled again just to be sure. Confused for a fraction of a moment, his eyes widened as he put the scent together with what was going on.

Turning around he closed the door quietly before looking her way. It wasn’t a lot, but he watched as a single tear made it’s way down her cheek. She wiped it away pretty quickly, and no more seemed to come after that. Was she holding tears back by sheer will alone? Was that possible? As far as he knew, humans were quick to cry, always whining and begging for mercy for some reason or another. Hollering that life isn’t fair and other such nonsense. Shaking it off, he figured it didn’t matter either way how or why.

Re-opening the door he hollered out for Tallah instead, and when he saw her head pop out another door he waved her over. Maybe she could deal with this, and he could take a few minutes to figure out what the hell Eliot had been doing here in the first place. It would be better than sitting around in the room with the human at the very least.
♠ ♠ ♠
There is a second chapter coming directly after this one, just to let everyone know. I went ahead and edited more than one chapter since I had a little extra time one my hands. I hope you all like it so far. Like the other chapters that got themselves the makeover this one has a little more detail, and hopefully everyone is starting to pick up on some minor clues from this point on.

Best of luck!
Don't forget to subscribe for weekly updates! (sometimes two a week if things go well)

And reviews/comments are always welcome!