Status: This is now officially a ficlet thread!

Run-Ins and Recognition

Run-ins and Recognition

Sid put himself through his paces, sure he could run on the treadmill inside but it was his favorite time of year and not hot outside. That meant pounding the actual pavement. That, in his mind, wasn’t a bad thing. Especially in Sewickley where everyone knew him and most left him alone when he was on the move.

At a stop light he stretched and went to have some water only to find out his bottle was empty. Frowning at the inconvenience, he looked for a corner spot that has some. Seeing one a block away he figured he could last that long and crossed when the light changed.

Inside the bodega Sid was glad he kept a 5 spot on him while running. He was reaching for a second bottle when his hand encountered another on the same bottle. His inner Canadian couldn’t be helped and slipped out. “Oh excuse me.”

He looked over and saw an extremely attractive lady. “Oh no, it’s my fault.” He still relinquished the bottle and moved away.

“Go ahead, I’m not in a hurry.” He waited as she smiled and grabbed the bottle.

“Thank you.” Her phone chimed and she swore. “Fuck! I can’t be late!”

He chuckled to himself. If only I could find someone like that, beautiful and yet able to swear like a truck driver… He sighed and tried hard not to think about his last break up as he ran back home.

Later he got a message from Jen saying that the team was meeting with the Steelers for a Best Celly Competition for both of their websites. Confused at first Sid quickly found that Cellys were finally being allowed by the NFL this season. He put the time and place in his phone and went about his evening trying to not get hung up on how gorgeous her eyes were.

The next day Jo was again running late thanks to her, god why haven’t I dumped him yet, boyfriend Alexander. This time he was trying to get her to do something with the Preds and while she loved the team, she was busy with her own schedule. “Cause I can’t that’s why! I’m here for this VS/NFL shoot again today and then I’m in NYC for a week. I don’t have time to come to Nashville for a meet and greet!” To make her point further she hung up on Alexander as she sat in the chair.

45 minutes and a wardrobe change later, she was stalking out onto the field where she was supposed to be continuing her shoot with Alejandro Villanueva. She loved it when shoots could be supportive of good causes and this one benefitted Wounded Warrior. “Morning!” She called as she approached.

Alejandro’s jaw dropped as she saw her approach. “Whoa! Someone’s trying to make this a success!” He didn’t look half bad either in what he had on.

Jo laughed. “None of this is mine, it’s all VS. The stylist put it together. You on the other hand…” As they bantered and waited for the shoot to start officially there was some noise on the other end of the field.

“Crap, I forgot that was today.” Alejandro said as he looked across to the other end zone.

Jo turned and saw more than just one team’s worth of men on the field. “What’s going on?”

“Best Celly Competition against the Pens. Gonna be up on both websites after it’s edited.” He sounded down.

“Oh. Maybe we can wrap up here quickly and you can join them.” She wasn’t a fan of the Pens, as they had killed the chances of her Preds bringing home the Cup back in June.

They started their shoot and it quickly took a turn for the worse. The photographer was known to need the exact right noise level to get what he wanted done and this was too much. “We’re going to have to try again tomorrow, the energy is all wrong!” He glared at the other end of the field. Alejandro and Jo were released with promises to make it back the next day.

“Come on, I know the guys wanted to meet you if possible.” Alejandro said as he escorted her to the room she had changed in. Why not, she figured. It wasn’t every day she got to meet athletes as elite as these.

It didn’t take long for her to be the center of attention, even though she wasn’t trying to be. She was polite as she was introduced to the Pens, if a bit cool. “And this is their Captain Sidney Crosby.” She looked up and about hit the floor. It was him! She hadn’t been able to get that shy smile out of her head since she had apologized and run-out of that bodega.

“It’s you.” She said instead of any other greeting she could think of.

Sid was startled. There in front of him were those eyes again! Geno bumped him. “Sid, no be rude. Be Canadian.” Sid snorted at that. “Nice to see you again.” He said instead of hello.

Jo thought she would die, of embarrassment or joy she wasn’t sure but it was one of those! “Yes and that water was delicious.” There was much confusion around them, not that she cared.

Sid laughed. “Why do you think I wanted another bottle?” The stylist was there quickly and needed Jo to change so they could lock up the room. The competition was going well and there was no way Sid was going to be a part of it. His Cellys were spontaneous and most often R-rated. “Mind if I walk back with you? I’m not much of a planned celly guy.”

Jo shook her head and they started back into the depths of Heinz Field. “I kinda already know that. They have to be careful when you’re on the ice after scoring, such language.” She teased.

“Hey it’s spur of the moment.” Sid exclaimed defending himself. “Kind of like that F bomb you dropped.” That made her face heat. She didn't think he would remember her swearing like that. Sid put her at ease though. “It was nice though, hearing someone so beautiful swear like a normal person. Normally all I hear are the guys and trust me, none of them even come close to you. Not even Tanger.”

Jo giggled. All the hockey girls she hung out with knew who he was speaking about. “I don’t know, he’s pretty hot…” She went into the room and changed. “Maybe he’ll get traded to the Preds so I can drool over him more often in the _right_ colors.”

Sid did a spit take from the water he had. “Excuse you but black and gold _are_ the right colors for him!”

Jo laughed as she came out. “Nope! I think he’d look better in Preds Gold!”

Sid’s jaw dropped. “The Preds, you know they lost to us this past June right?” Jo sighed and took the bottle he offered her.

“I know, they tried so hard! Maybe with Tanger we could beat you.” She began walking out towards the field again.

Sid snorted. “A, he’s happily married. B, he has a long term contract and C, you are not taking the best kid on the team away from his babysitter.” Sid would fight to keep Tanger, and even harder to keep his son Alex.

Jo mulled over what he said and couldn’t help but giggle. “Sid, do you use your teammates kids for baby fodder?” His ears turned colors. “Aw! Uncle Sid. Lucky kids. Ok, you can keep him.” She twirled her Preds keychain absent mindedly in her fingers. “I only know the single guys from the Preds, they seem like nice guys though.”

Sid mumbled under his breath. “Not on the ice they aren’t.” Jo just looked at him. “Well they aren’t! P.K. is a nice guy off ice, but on it he’s a bitch to play against!”

It was her turn to giggle. “I know! We _SO_ won that trade! I can’t wait for their home opener so I can proudly wear my Rinne jersey again.”

Sid paused. “You know I’ve scored on him a few times.” He continued to walk, taking in the field and not looking at her.

Jo giggled. She knew what he truly meant, but how he said it… “Sidney! You did _not_ just insinuate you’ve scored with another guy.” She sounded astonished and horrified but she was fighting to keep from smiling as she spoke.

Sid froze horrified. “No That’s not what I meant!” He put his hands out in front of him as he turned back to face her. “It’s just he’s a goalie and I’m a center and a forward, more often forwards do the scoring!”

Jo lost it and began laughing until her sides ached. “Oh please stop! I was teasing!” That’s when he figured out what she had meant and groaned. It took her a bit to get herself back under control. “Oh that was priceless!” She leaned in and kissed his cheek. “Everyone knows you’re straight and single. I was only trying to get a rise out of you.”

Sid’s thoughts immediately went south, not that the words that came out of his mouth did. “Ok, you got me. Please don’t tell anyone I said any of that though.”

Jo mulled it over long enough for one of the Pens guys to scream out to Sid to get his “fat ass” over there and bring it home! Without even thinking Sid swore. “Fuck me.”

Jo smiled again at him while writing something down on a piece of paper. “Not until _after_ you buy me dinner. Maybe then we can do some more negotiations about trades from the Preds to the Pens…” She handed him what he would find out was her number. “Call me after you’re done here. Having never been here before I could use a good guide.” She winked and walked away from him.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is in response to a much needed distraction ver the game tonight. there MIGHT be more of these in the future...