Status: Ongoing

My Destined - EDITING

Chapter 3

Leia

"Alright, ladies. Let's get you dolled up!" An older woman walked over with an entourage, and I stared in disbelief. This is crazy!

For what felt like an hour or two, the four of us were dolled up by this entourage. We mostly stayed quiet, allowing women to do what they needed to. Our talking made me more comfortable and less worried about the situation.

"All done! You, ladies, look perfectly ready to find your mates and will be chosen in no time!" The lady beamed at her work proudly and walked off with her entourage to her next victims.

I looked at myself in the mirror, and my eyes widened. I can look this pretty?! I half-laughed to myself. They did my hair in a side, fishtail braid that fell over my left shoulder. My makeup looked intense for my liking, but I felt beautiful with the whole ensemble. My lips were tinted a dark red/plum color, and my hazel eyes popped with thick black eyeliner and shimmery gold eyeshadow. I may have a chance! Tala also seemed to like the look as she jumped around gleefully.

"You look hot, Leia!" Maia exclaimed happily, and I suddenly felt a surge of confidence. Althea whistled in response.

"Damn, girl! Definitely rocking that look." Althea winked, and I felt my cheeks burn. "There's no way we won't find our mate," Tala spoke happily, brimming with confidence.

The four of us stood, checking each other out before we got sent to the Ceremony. I didn't even notice Althea's and Selene's dresses until now. Althea had a sleeveless dark red gown, short in the front and longer in the back. The beaded waistband held up the frilly, tulle bottom. She paired it with bedazzled black heels, a black velvet choker, and black tassel earrings. Althea's black hair was curled and pulled back into a silver beaded clip. Her makeup was similar to mine, with red lips and shimmering eyeshadow.

I smiled at her and looked at Maia and Selene. Selene wore a strapless, sweetheart dress that fell into a mermaid skirt; her red hair was up in a twisted half-updo, and her dark magenta lips and brown shadow made her pale blue eyes pop even more. Selene wore a silver choker and silver diamond drop earrings as her chosen accessories. Wow, everyone looks so amazing.

Maia looked amazing and classy. Her curly brown hair was pulled into a high bun and pinned with a beaded flower clip. Contrasting the rest of our makeup, hers was very light, simple with soft pink lips, gold to pink eyeshadow, and a black cat-eye liner.

"Let's take pictures, girls!" We all nodded and started taking photos of and with each other. Althea ensured everyone exchanged numbers and Instagram pages to keep in touch and share all the pictures. It made me feel warm inside to make friends so quickly. It is not something I was used to.

"Everyone. I'm pleased that everyone has finally arrived, and the Elders have said the Choosing Ceremony will now commence." Alpha Grant and Luna entered the room, silencing and pausing everyone in it as Alpha's voice boomed. "Please get in line with your pack and sign in. You will get a wristband with your name, pack, rank, and strength. Once that has been given to you. Please proceed outside to be lined up for the Choosing Ceremony." Everyone cheered, and it dawned on me that this was real. Nerves and anxiety filled my mind.

My body felt stiff as we said our goodbyes and good luck to each other before we parted ways to get in our pack lines. Everything was loud, and I could barely hear myself think as everyone in the room got excited about meeting the other wolves. Walking robotically in line, my turn finally came up.

"Name." The woman who guided us into the house said boredly.

"Leia Renee Oliveira," I spoke quietly, my voice shaking. She nodded as she inputted my name into the computer. My wristband was printed with my name, age, pack, rank, and strength. Leia Renee Oliveira. 20. Crescent Sky. Beta. 7.5.

"Next." The woman glanced at me before beckoning Maia forward. I gave Maia a nervous look, and she nodded in response before I was ushered outside.

Walking outside, wolves were lined up on a long stage, and the rest had gathered up a few feet away, ready to find their mates. I started shaking a bit, unable to stop the nerves from eating me up. "Calm down, Leia." Tala scolded, and I could feel her oozing with excitement.

I blanked out for a while as they continued lining up all the she-wolves, trying to avoid any stares I was getting. I looked from the group of Elders that sat on their stage like judges, then back to my toes. Relax, Leia. Just relax. I tried calming myself down with deep, slow breaths. The announcements started, and everyone but Alpha Grant became silent.

"Welcome. Thank you, everyone, for coming to the Annual Choosing Ceremony that we are hosting here at the Crescent Sky pack. Since the beginning, this Ceremony has been a tradition and will be one of the most important events in your young wolf's life. Here we hope to aid you in finding your destined mate, chosen by the Moon Goddess herself, and continue to maintain our relationship as packs. May the Moon Goddess bless you with your destined mate today." The crowd erupted in cheers and claps as the families of the young wolves started coming into the background.

"And now, I give you Elder Mira." The crowd applauds again as an older woman with long, graying hair stands up. She silences the crowd with a swipe of her hand before she speaks.

"Young wolves. Today is a momentous day for all of you. The Choosing Ceremony will begin with the Alpha males first, then down the ranks as they each get a chance to walk down the line of those searching for their mate. This is only the first part of this two-day event! Once everyone has had their chance, there will be a brief intermission before the Ceremony Ball starts. You can mingle with the other young wolves to better understand who your destined mate is if they are here. This also serves as a means to connect with other packs." She cleared her throat before continuing.

"The next day will be the Running; we will explain tomorrow. Then once the Elders have approved you, you may go to your mate's new pack if they're from a different pack than your own based on rank. You will get a brief family time for goodbyes and such. Let the Choosing Ceremony begin! May the Moon Goddess bless you with your destined mate today." The crowd cheered once more as Elder Mira took her seat.

"We will announce each of you by name, age, pack, and strength. When your name is called, please step forward and then step back." Luna spoke loudly with a wide smile. She and Alpha took turns announcing us in order. I tuned them out, for the most part, my ears only perking up for the friends I had just made. Each name led to whistles and howls from the crowd in response. It's usually set up so that the female wolves are announced, and the male wolves are the ones in the crowd, but it's shifted to focus more on ranking/age than gender.

"Leia Renee Oliveira from the Crescent Sky pack. 20 years old. With a strength level of 7.5." It took me a second to realize the Elder had called my name, and I nervously stepped forward.

For the first time since I was lined up, I looked at all the males ahead. There were whistles and howls from the crowd. I noticed Alpha Grant's son, Marco, in the front, and my heart leaped. But I also felt an intense, piercing stare from someone I couldn't find. Who is it? I stepped back, still searching the crowd but unable to find the eyes I sensed. Tala was acting strange and leaping around excitedly.

"Alphas! Step forward. You may now walk onto the stage to seek your mate. No marking will be allowed at this time. Once the Alphas walkthrough, the Betas will then get a turn. And so on, based on your rank." Marco and the other two Alphas from the other packs came onto the stage.

Marco, being the hosting Alpha, got to walk up first. My heart was pounding, and I could feel the moon tattoo on my wrist warm up. "He's here!" Tala howled happily. My heart rate picked up, pounding hard in my chest. Marco was walking towards me with a smile, and I smiled back. That's when I realized he wasn't smiling at me. I turned to see who he could be smiling at and saw Maia itching in her stance with a red face, gripping her neck where her tattoo was. NO!

My heart felt like it was being torn out of my chest as I watched in agony as the guy I wanted to be my mate and best friend got close. I couldn't look away as Marco sniffed her neck, and Maia leaned into him happily. "He's not the one, Leia. But our mate is here!" Tala tried reassuring me, but my heart was breaking. They whispered something to each other while smiling before Marco walked off the stage without looking at any other female. Maia glanced at me with a half-smile that immediately turned embarrassed when she saw my reaction. I stupidly gave her a thumbs up and weak smile before looking straight at my feet, fighting the tears threatening to pour down my cheeks. It can't be...

I didn't even pay attention to the announcement of the other Alpha walking onto the stage. Something about his name being Stern. His power radiated off his body intensely, and I could feel him from the other end of the stage. He stopped at almost every female, desperately trying to find his mate, but skipped over a few. Then he stopped in front of me.

"Look at me." He demanded, but not in an angry way. I nervously looked up to see dark green eyes. Is this one Selene's brother? They don't look alike at all... He had a strong face, tanned skin, full lips, and slightly wavy dark brown hair that was styled up. He grabbed my wrist, looking at my wristband and gently grazing over my tattoo with his large, tanned fingers. I shuddered at his touch, and he smiled. "Not my mate! Not my mate!" Tala shouted, not liking the touch of this Alpha. "I like you, Leia Oliveira." He left with a quick sniff of my neck and a charming smile.

I didn't realize I was holding my breath until he walked away. "He's not the one, Leia," Tala whined, itching to discover who had awoken our tattoo. That's when an intoxicating scent hit me. My head instantly whipped to the side to find where it came from. My tattoo is burning now as I grip my wrist. "MATE!" Tala was pacing quickly; her ears perked up high, and her tail wagging.

Blue-grey eyes. The first thing I saw was intense blue eyes. So mesmerizing. I could stare at them all day. The Alpha walked straight towards me, not giving any other fawning wolves a second glance. I couldn't move as chills ran their course through my whole body.

"Mate." His voice was strong and seductive as he stood right before me. He was gorgeous, taller than me by at least half a foot, with a muscular build. Perfect olive skin, strong jaw, light stubble, slicked-back black hair, and those mesmerizing blue-grey eyes. We stared at each other for what felt like forever before his face almost nuzzled my neck. Without thinking, I leaned toward him, yearning for his touch. He sniffed my neck and lingered there without touching me. I almost whined when he pulled away and grabbed my wrist. Tala was howling excitedly, eager to meet this beautiful stranger's wolf.

"Leia." My name sounded amazing, leaving his lips, and my knees almost buckled. He gave me a brief smile that made my heart flutter but said nothing else, and with that, he walked off the stage without glancing at anyone else. I completely forgot about Marco, Maia, and my broken heart as I watched my mate leave.

"We found our mate!" Tala wouldn't sit still as she jumped and howled in happiness. I don't even know his name... I was so focused on how he said my name that I didn't even remember hearing Alpha Grant announcing who he was.
♠ ♠ ♠
What a twist! Imagine having a long-time crush on someone just for them to be paired with your best friend???? At least this stranger seems quite attractive ;)