Status: Ongoing

My Destined - EDITING

Chapter 4

Adriel

The Choosing Ceremony is not just about finding mates but gives a chance to discuss pack issues amongst the attending pack Alphas, Betas, and Lunas. I am not fond of attending pack meetings... With an exasperated sigh, I finished getting ready with a quick run through my thick, black hair with my fingers and left my bathroom.

I had decided to leave the more formal suit to wear later this evening and instead wore a pair of black slacks, a dark purple button-up shirt with the top two buttons left undone, and matching black socks and shoes.

I knew I had to be there on time and ensure Cleo's lazy self was ready. I exited the bedroom provided for this Choosing Ceremony weekend and walked across the hall to Cleo's room. Without knocking, I let myself in.

"Bro! You always walk in with no care for privacy!" Cleo feigned embarrassment and covered herself up even though she was already dressed. In response, I rolled my eyes and sat on the lounge chair.

Cleo stands only two inches shorter than me at 5'8. Like me, she has thick black hair, except hers is long, ending at her lower back, and she has bangs that fall across her forehead. We've always been told we look like twins, with similar black hair, grey-blue eyes, thick eyebrows, and olive-colored skin.

"You know we should have already been going to the conference room to meet with the other packs, Cleo." Cleo left her hair down and wore an open grey-blue pantsuit and a black spaghetti strap crop top.

"I know, I know. We both know you don't even want to be there." Cleo snickered as she put on her short black closed-toe heels.

I didn't. It's not that I don't think pack meetings are essential, or I dislike Alpha Grant and Alpha Cael. The formalities of these meetings can be suffocating, and not having my Luna yet makes me feel like I need to catch up or something. I sighed for what felt like the millionth time this morning, which Cleo picked up on.

"Hey. You're going to find her. I have a feeling that this is our year." Cleo hugged me quickly as she spoke earnestly, which she often does. I admire her ability to be optimistic and easy-going all the time, a trait I did not inherit from our father. I am much more like our mother - stern and by the book.

"I hope so." Cleo gave me a knowing smile and nodded before walking toward the conference room together.

I felt a sense of doom looming over me as we got closer to the conference room doors. Things have been in a high-stress mode regarding rogues, the Crystal Blood Pack, and this mysterious illness that has only been affecting werewolves. My fists clenched at the thought of this mysterious illness, we call it the Darkness, and my mom has it.

It came out of nowhere two years ago, seemingly from rogues, but we have yet to pinpoint how, who, and when this came from. The Darkness starts with typical flu-like symptoms, which is pretty strange for us werewolves to experience so intensely. Then it starts to impact our ability to shift at will and normally into our wolf forms and makes communication with our wolves difficult. It is almost like stripping us of our wolf side, hence, the Darkness. Some wolves have gone mad, not having their connection and becoming rogues, ending their lives, or becoming aggressive. It is as if the Moon Goddess has disconnected from them, leaving them to fend alone with this mysterious illness.

Luckily, my mom is on the lower end of the symptoms; but my dad and the pack doctor carefully watch her. I can see in her eyes when I visit the sadness and emptiness of not having the real connection with her wolf that she used to. Some people wonder if the Moon Goddess sees what is happening.

My dad stepped down from the Alpha role sooner than usual because he wanted to focus all his time and energy on my mom. I admire his intense devotion and loyalty to her; their relationship has always been one of pure joy and love. Of course, they still disagreed and fought like any other regular couple. So, I took over as the Alpha at 21, even though I had yet to find my mate and future Luna.

"Ahem. Alpha Adriel?" I jolted in my place at my name being called. When did I get to the conference table and sit down? I realized my nails had elongated, cutting into my palms from my clenched fists, and relaxed them.

"Oh. Um, sorry. Could you repeat that?" I hid my embarrassment and looked directly at Alpha Grant, who had just called me. He gave me a knowing look and nodded. I can't look weak! I berated silently and nodded to let him know I was now paying attention.

"We were discussing any news we have on the Crystal Blood pack and their movements. They no longer plan on joining us, even in the Choosing Ceremonies. Have you had any rogue or strange activity around you since you are closest in the distance to Crystal Blood and Alpha Milah?" Everyone in the room looked at me, and I tried not to shift in my seat uncomfortably.

"Not much. I have my pack members on the run to scope their surrounding areas. Most of what has been reported back are things we suspect, like the Crystal Blood pack working with rogues, some suspicious involvement with an unknown witch, and many of the werewolves becoming restless and more aggressive."

"Have there been any more attacks on humans?" Alpha Cael asked the room with anger seeping into his voice. Cleo and I looked at each other with disappointed looks and nodded our heads.

"Yes, at least two more that we know of. Luckily, the humans are okay, and their memories have been altered." My voice was sullen as I felt somewhat helpless in allowing more attacks to happen near my land.

You could almost cut the tension in the room with a butter knife. Everyone has been on edge with the spread of this illness and the strange, erratic behaviors of this pack. Even though we are separate packs that take care of our own, we hold high importance in maintaining strong alliances with neighboring packs so the disconnect with Alpha Milah's pack has been difficult.

"Okay. We will need to continue to keep in close contact with each other. I will also send scouts to investigate Alpha Milah and her strange interactions. She might be leaning into getting a witch to use Dark Magic." Alpha Grant's voice increasingly sounds distressed and angry. Gasps were heard throughout the room, the only audible reaction far from the Elders.

We werewolves do not mix with witches; magic is one thing we do not mess with or understand. I don't even want to go into details about our dark history with each other. But dark magic is even worse. We all know Alpha Milah lost her mate to The Darkness and took on the Alpha role even though she was Luna; the Elders left her alone because she is or was a good leader and took pity on the loss of Alpha Vidal. It seems she has fallen into her own madness—poor woman. I cannot imagine losing my mate, and I haven't even found mine...

The conversation continued to be solemn and gloomy for another half hour before the Elders switched the topic to the Choosing Ceremony. Tension is high because Alpha Cael and I are Alphas without Lunas and have been for a while; this is not typical for Alphas. Cael's case is different, he had a mate, but the rogues killed her before they even met. With rogues' rise and the neighboring pack's strange actions, the Elders are restless. They said nothing when we discussed The Darkness but had much to say about the need for "completed" packs.

"Alpha Adriel, Alpha Cael. We look forward to finding out that you have both found your mates during this ceremony". I could tell Cael was highly stressed and even angry as he flinched ever so slightly at Elder Mira's words.

I silently wondered if there was someone in my pack who may be mated to Cael as I have two she-wolves not attending this year's ceremony when they're of age - Noemi and Layla. Both have been approved for their reasons of not attending, but I know the Elders are getting tired of Noemi who has now skipped two ceremonies.

The Elders' focus on Cael and I's lack of mates certainly did not help with my confidence or hope for a mate. It's been so long that I almost feel I may not have one. "We do have a mate! I have a feeling we will find her this time." My wolf, Nero, tried to sound convincing, but I knew he had been hurting too. I hope so.

~~ Ceremony ~~

Alpha Grant, his Luna, and Elder Mira have already done their introductions to the Choosing Ceremony. Since I've been listening to it for the past three years of attendance, I tuned it out. It was hard to focus on what they were saying when I could sense something different about this ceremony. "It's our mate; I know it!" Nero has become more anxious and antsy than I've ever seen him, and I could feel a soft burn from the moon tattoo on my chest.

With my heart racing, almost wanting to jump out of my chest, I looked around the crowd and the stage to see if looking at my mate would tell me what I needed to know. That's when I heard a name, and my eyes hyper-focused on who stepped forward.

"Leia Renee Oliveira from the Crescent Sky pack. 20 years old. With a strength level of 7.5." Is she the one? I cannot explain precisely what I am feeling at this moment, but something in my gut is telling me that I have finally found the mate that the Moon Goddess has chosen for me. Suddenly, I started to feel anxious and cursed myself for feeling weak.

I barely paid attention as Alpha Grant called up Marco and then Cael to walk around the wolves who had just been called. My focus was entirely on this Leia; I noticed her face change from excitement to disappointment after it looked like Marco had found his mate in his pack. What was that about?

That is until I noticed Cael had stopped at Leia. Without knowing that this she-wolf is actually my mate, Nero has already gotten worked up over Cael's proximity and lingering presence. It took a lot for me not to leap forward at him when I noticed he had gotten relatively close to her neck.

Finally, I was called and tried to walk as cooly as possible toward the stage. The burning sensation of my tattoo intensified as I got closer and closer. She must have noticed my presence, too, because as soon as I stepped onto the stage, she immediately looked at me with wide eyes.

"Mate." I stood right before her, almost towering over her average height. I wanted so badly to pull her into my arms so badly but thought against it. I don't want to be too overwhelming.

We just stared as we took each other in. Her soft, dark brown hair fell to the side of her face in some sort of braid, and although she had a small frame, I could tell there was strength in her. The most captivating, of course, was her big, almond-shaped, hazel eyes and lush, rosebud lips.

Without realizing it, we were both already leaning toward each other. As I took in her scent, delicate and flowery, I grabbed ahold of her wrist, where I saw her moon tattoo. The feeling felt electric, and Nero was howling and prancing with excitement.

"Leia." I just wanted to hear how her name sounded. She looked out of it almost, which made me smile slightly. She must feel the pull too. Satisfied and not wanting to overwhelm her, I let go of her arm and left the stage.

"Nero. I can't believe we finally found her." I didn't need to stay at the ceremony any longer, and I would wait in my room until the evening dinner started. I needed time to process finally finding my mate and figuring out exactly how to approach her.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sooooo....thoughts so far on Adriel??? Or any of the other characters we've met so far? Cleo is very opposite of me, but I always love characters like hers, haha.

What's this mysterious illness? It's going to be an important part of this story outside of the romance, of course