Status: Ongoing

My Destined - EDITING

Chapter 7

Leia

It's time to get ready for The Running. I groaned as I grabbed the outfit left at the top of my bag for easy access and ran to the bathroom. Undressing quickly, I turned on the shower to let it heat up. I made sure the water was nice and hot before stepping, letting the hot water cascade down my body. Ahhh. I love showers. I could stand here forever, but I know I must hurry, or Alpha Grant will be furious. I washed my hair and body quickly before regrettably leaving the warmth of the shower.

After I dried my body and wrapped my hair in the towel, I grabbed the clothes I chose and started putting them on. Looking myself over in the mirror, I nodded in contentment. This is fine. I decided to wear a light blue wireless sports bra with straps in the back, black joggers with a drawstring on the waist, dark blue socks, and soft blue running shoes. Nice and comfortable, exactly how I like it.

I took the towel off my head and hung it on one of the wall hooks to dry before grabbing my toiletries. The girls were already dressed and chatting away as they waited for me, which made me feel bad for waking up late.

Althea's straight black hair was pulled into a messy ponytail, and she was wearing a bright blue racerback tank, light grey leggings, and black running shoes. Selene surprised me by wearing a dark pink strappy sports bra, black drawstring shorts with pink and purple designs, and grey running shoes. Her red hair was pulled into a ponytail with a braid on her right side. Maia wore a loose white tank, black capris, leggings, and burgundy running shoes. Maia's gorgeous brown hair was pulled up in a messy high bun. I smiled.

I hurried to my bag to put my pajamas away and grabbed my toiletries. I was not going to put on any makeup. What was the point? I returned to the bathroom to finish getting ready with my toiletries. I brushed my long brown hair back into a semi-loose ponytail. I quickly brushed my teeth, washed my face, and put on deodorant before exiting the bathroom. I'm finally done!

"You're lucky you're always quick at getting ready!" Maia teased, and I rolled my eyes with a grin.

"Let's go, ladies!" Althea shouted, linking arms with Selene and me. Maia linked her arm with my free one, and we all walked down the vast halls to the ballroom.

The sweet aroma of breakfast filled my nose, and I sighed happily. Food! We happily ran to the food tables to fill our plates. It was supposed to be a light breakfast because we had to run soon, but I felt a combination of anxiety and hunger. We found a table to sit at and enjoyed eating our food as we chatted away.

Althea kept making googly eyes and blowing kisses to Lucas, making Maia and I gag in mockery. Lucas had a red face, making us laugh. Selene kept stealing glances at Cleo, to which she responded with winks and waves.

Maia looked at Marco, whom I avoided glancing at. I did not want to think about him anymore. Maia noticed and mouthed, 'I'm sorry.' I nodded in response and avoided her eyes, still feeling just the tiniest bit hurt. Why? I already have a mate, so this should be clear!

I barely paid attention to Cael, who I could feel staring intensely at me. But what didn't go unnoticed was that Adriel was not here. I could not help but feel disappointed that I could not see him. I could tell my wolf was also anxious, which didn't help.

Almost everyone stayed with their roommates as time passed, probably feeling anxious about The Running. Running was the final stage in the Choosing Ceremony and the scariest part. You could have no one after you or five wolves after you, especially if you are still unmated; no one knows until it begins. Hopefully, no one will come after me. I tried to convince myself but knew deep down my wolf and I wanted Adriel.

They gave us a ten-minute break after breakfast before we met outside to get things started. I excused myself from the girls, wanting a quick breather before The Running. I was feeling nervous as mixed feelings bubbled in the pit of my stomach. I was not ready to be taken away from home and go with a stranger, but the bond that had already started with Adriel had made my wolf's feelings and desires stronger and harder to suppress.

As soon as I walked out of the side of the house, the strong smell that had become intoxicating hit me hard. My wolf perked up in excitement, wagging her tail happily. Adriel. I looked around, trying to find him, when I finally saw his lean frame sitting on a bench by the garden, looking aimlessly up at the sky. Before I knew it, I was walking toward him anyway, and he turned around with an intense stare in his bright blue-grey eyes.

"Leia." His husky voice almost made me melt.

"Why didn't you eat?" That's the first thing you say, seriously? I shook my head at my dumb question and continued walking toward him.

"Not hungry." He turned away from me with a quick response. I was about to sit next to him when I heard someone running behind us and shouting.

"Leia! Hey, please don't be mad at me. I'm sorry you like Marco, but he's my mate. The Moon Goddess chose him, not me. But I think I'm going to be happy with him. Let's, please, stay friends!" Maia's words were rushed and loud, making me gasp. Uh-oh... She must not have seen Adriel, so she just shouted out everything.

"Maia! Hush! I'm not mad at you. It doesn't matter anymore." Her brown eyes widened at the realization that Adriel was also here, and she covered her mouth. I could feel the anger radiating off him and almost whimpered at the intense emotions my wolf, and I felt.

"U-um, Adriel. This is my best friend, Maia. Maia, this is Adriel. He's my-" I stopped mid-sentence. Calling him my mate was still strange, and the word just didn't come out. I could hear Adriel stand.

"Mate." He finished for me as he grabbed onto my arm possessively.

"R-right." My cheeks flushed red, and Maia just nodded in response.

"Oh, man! I'm sorry, Leia. I thought you were alone and mad and...." Maia's voice trailed off as she looked at Adriel. "N-nice to meet you, Alpha Adriel. I'm Leia's childhood friend."

"Likewise." He answered back curtly before moving to look at me. "What did she say? Do you like Marco? As in, your Alpha Marco? What's the meaning of this?" His naturally bright blue-grey eyes grew dark, and my wolf whined in response. She desperately wanted to tell him and his wolf that we were all theirs and no one else's.

"Well..." I could feel shivers run down my spine at his harsh stare. No. You did nothing wrong, Leia. With that thought, I inhaled deeply before continuing with a firmer stance. "It's nothing, Alpha. It was just a stupid childhood crush. He doesn't even know. It doesn't matter anymore." I said with as much resolve as I could muster under the pressure of his presence.

"Leia, Maia? What's going on?" Shit. Just my luck! Marco had shown up at the perfect time, and we all turned to look at him. Maia went over to him and held onto his arm tightly. I could feel Adriel's grip on my arm tightens. "I didn't know you liked me, Leia...." Marco said with an awkward smile and confusion in his dark brown eyes.

"Mine," Adriel growled, and Marco's hands rose in surrender.

"Hey man, I've got a mate too. No need to get cranky." Marco's words didn't ease Adriel at all. You could cut the tension in the air with a knife.

Before anything else could happen, the bell signaling The Running was about to start sounding. Saved by the bell! I sighed in relief as Marco said goodbye and went off. Maia waited for me, and I moved out of Adriel's grasp. But he quickly turned me around, his gorgeous face inches from mine. I closed my eyes tightly, thinking he was going to kiss me. But nothing happened.

"Don't run too far." That was all Adriel said before stalking over to the crowd and leaving me dumbfounded. This guy... I linked arms with Maia as we both apologized and laughed. I did not want to lose my friendship with her over a stupid crush. We anxiously walked to the crowd, quickly finding Althea and Selene. That's when Alpha Grant and Luna came up on stage.

"Attention. Today is the final day of the Choosing Ceremony. Today is your chance to catch your mate! Ladies or partners who will be running, the starting line has been marked for you on the ground, so please step forward and stand behind it." Whistles from the males filled the air, and I just rolled my eyes. Males. Alpha Grant spoke loudly as everyone shuffled to get to the starting line.

"You will have a two-minute head start before the chasers can start their chase. No wolf forms! Once you have tagged your mate, please bring them back here to be accepted by the Elders. There will be time to say goodbye to families afterward." The nerves started hitting me hard, and I couldn't help the sweat building up.

"Please only tag one wolf. If you are untagged and have no tattoo reactions to anyone who would be your mate, you will be returning home. There may be a fight if more than one wolf tags you, but please come to us, Elders. There's no need to fight what the Moon Goddess has decided, especially if your marks have responded to someone." One of the Elders spoke sternly, giving harsh stares to the wolves behind us. I could hear groans and snickers throughout the crowd, but my mind was mainly focused on running. I'm not ready yet.

"Let's begin. Ladies! On your marks. Get set...GO!" Alpha Grant shouted, and my heart rate picked up. I started to run fast. I know we have a two-minute head start, and I don't want to be tired immediately, but I am so nervous. Letting my feet carry me quickly through the field.

Our run starts with an open field in the back of the packhouse, but we must run through the forest to finish. That's where most families are waiting for their children. I wasn't paying attention to where Maia, Selene, and Althea had gone, so I silently hoped they would get what they wanted from the Running. I know my wolf is aching to get caught, but I'm not letting her surface.

A loud bell alerted me, and I picked up my pace as I ran through the forested area. That must mean that the chasers have started their run. I can only hope no one will come after me, even though my wolf knows Adriel will. My heart rate was beating alarmingly, and my breathing was becoming heavy from running and the nerves. I have always been one of the fastest in our pack, but I do not know Adriel or any other males outside our pack and their speeds.

Looking around as I ran, I caught glimpses of the girls all running and smiled at Maia. "Are you doing okay, Maia?" I mind-linked her since we are from the same pack. "Yeah, nervous! But also very excited. My wolf is going wild!" Maia's mind linked back, and I nodded in agreement even though she probably didn't see it. Tala is going crazy, too; she wants to be caught.

After only a few minutes, I could hear the shouts and whines of those being caught, along with the growls of the chasers catching their mates. I tried to pick up my pace more as I heard someone's footsteps not too far behind me. I didn't dare look behind me to see who it was; they didn't smell like Adriel, which disappointed my wolf. And I guess me too...
♠ ♠ ♠
Oooo, some tension, some awkwardness... :P