Country Kind of Love

H e a r t b r e a k.

The morning came quick again and she was still very upset that her childhood best friend had abandoned her in a town without any regards for her safety. When 8 am rolled around she angrily made her way to his home, and seeing his truck there parked like nothing angered her more she pounded on his door several times. Her knuckles were actually red from hitting the wood of the door. As it opened Bailey came face to face with a woman with dark hair she totally looked out of place in the type of clothing she was in and the fact she was wearing high heels.

“Hi, you must be Gloria, can I talk to Clayton.” Bailey said trying to hide her anger for a minute, didn’t want to make a bad first impression on someone she didn’t give two fucks about in reality.

“Clayton is still sleeping, who are you?” The woman asked with a very snobby nasal voice.

“I’m his neighbor, Bailey Cooper.” Bailey tried to be sweet as all hell to this woman, even when just the first things out of her mouth made Bailey want to knock her teeth down her throat. She sighed heavily and looked at her.

“Wait— Clayton Henderson is sleeping past 8 am on a Thursday?” She frowned deeply and shook her head. “Just tell him I want to talk to him and he should meet me at the trail spot, alone.”

Bailey walked off as Jake walked to the tractor to start up she grabbed her brothers chin. “Stay away from the city woman, she is nothing but trouble. If you see clayton tell him he needs to go to our spot and meet me.” She walked off going directly to the river from there. Sitting down she let the sounds of the water try to calm her as much as they could. Closing her eyes she sighed heavily and felt the tears being to fill her eyes.

“He doesn’t care about me, if he could leave me like that so easily.” She got angry at herself for crying over him. Her mother always told her she was better than crying over any man. She was a strong woman and didn’t need a man.

She waited around there all day. Literally all day and when the sun was starting to set again she started walking slowly towards home when she saw Clayton walking up. With no horse or anything he never walked.

“Bailey—“ Before he could say anything more she punched him in the arm. “I deserve that. I’m so sorry. Gloria said she felt sick and so we stopped and got food and then she got sicker so I took her home I was going to come back but she was crying and causing a stink because we had no Wi-Fi. For her to update her Instagram? Whatever that is.” Clayton explained; Bailey felt worse about this she was angrier.

“Why didn’t you tell me!? I sat outside the bank waiting until 7:30 in the evening! I got the fucking loan by the way, so I’ll buy my farm back and you can build a fence against your land. I want all of my land not just part of it anymore.”

“Bailey…”

“No, you lost my respect Clayton Henderson. You left a girl alone in a county she doesn’t know very well at night with no way home! I’m lucky I left my keys and my brother could come get me! I could’ve been stuck there, what were you going to do? Go back to see if I was still at the bank?”

Clayton looked down a guilty look in his eyes. “I know I messed up, I’m sorry.”

“Yeah, you should be, and what the hell is with you sleeping in until after 8 am?” She frowned deeply. “That isn’t like you slacking off like that, you’re becoming a different person because of—“ She saw Gloria walk up. “Gloria, hi again.” She smiled but looked so shocked to see her.

“I told my Clay I wanted to come see all the trails.” Gloria gave a noticeably fake smile as she stumbled in her heels to walk along the dirt path.

Bailey looked in Clayton’s eyes. “We are done here, I’ll get you your money and I expect you to build your fence, don’t make me build my own.” She said and walked off past them. “Have a lovely hike you two.” She said with a bittersweet venom pouring from her mouth. Once she was far enough away from them she was crying again and running. She didn’t stop running until she hit the mattress in her room and cried into her pillow. She felt her mother’s hand upon her back and that made her stiffen up.

“I feel like a kid again crying over him.” Bailey cried; she’s loved Clayton her whole life and so this all happening the way it did killed her. “I might just buy the house and leave.”

“Honey no, the town is so excited to have you as a vet in town! Your father and I have talked to all the farmers around town about you, please don’t leave. Clayton will realize what he’s done and he will come to his senses.” Her mother said rubbing her back.

At that point in time Bailey didn’t even care she was so hurt, he brought a stranger to their town, left her in a different county, and then took that same woman to a space that was only for them. Had only ever been just the two of them since they first met and explored the area together. She was beyond hurt with him and the whole situation kept a weird aching sting in her chest. It hurt more that it was so easy for him to do this to her and not care about it, she never expected him of all people to be so heartless with her.

She stayed in her room all day with duke on her legs her fingers gently carded through the golden labs fur. “You’d never leave me right Duke?” As if on cue the dog jumped off the bed and left the room. “Perfect.” She said when she was alone. Her mother poked her head in with a plate of dinner.

“I brought you your favorite, mama’s meat loaf, wild rice and potatoes.”

Bailey sat up in bed wiggling gently with a smile. “Thanks momma.”

“You’ll be okay baby. We will get the big fence up that you hollered at your brother for and we will be able to get your vet clinic up and running out of the barn and things will work out baby doll don’t you give up hope just yet.” Her mom kissed her face gently. “You’re strong and you don’t need this to affect you this way.”

Bailey picked at the food looking up at her mom. “You’re right, I shouldn’t let this affect me, I’m going to be doing a job I love and your home will be safe and I still have room on here to get me a little place if I make enough money and get this loan paid off so I can live here for the rest of my life with you just like Jake is going to.”

Her mother laughed at how she worded it. “At least you two visit us.”

Her siblings only came out every other holiday and this holiday was going to be an on year where all the cooper siblings would be coming with their families. “You do realize that Christmas and Thanksgiving are going to be hell on wheels.”

“I know, your older siblings are going to be here with their families all my kids and grandkids are going to be in one place finally since you’ve missed the last three holiday seasons with the family.”

“I’m sorry about all that momma. I’m not going to miss any more time with you and daddy.” She promised and got up taking her food downstairs to eat with her parents and her brother. Tomorrow would be a better day. Despite all the heartbreak. She’d be stronger.