Status: slowly updating

Rush Hour

XII: That's the only reason why it could work

"Sarah."

She didn't look at me. She continued humming I don't know what song. I took her iPod and turned it off.

"Hey!" she complained.

"Sorry for that. It's just that I was invited to a gig and I was wondering if you wanted to go."

Her kinda angry expression disappeared.

"Sure! When and where?" she said, really excited.

"Er... tomorrow, at Sweetleaf."

"What's tomorrow?" Nathan said.

"The day after today", Sarah replied, chuckling.

"I should've expected that reply from you", he said, faking anger. "No, but really. Are you talking about John's band?"

"How do you...?" I started, but I facepalmed myself. "Oh, I forgot. You're friends with John. You're Adam's brother. Of course you know about the gig."

"Do you know my brother?" He started, but he facepalmed himself. "Duh, obviously. You know his name, and you had his handwriting on your arm. I still don't know why or how... but I know him so I already have a believable hypothesis."

"Really? Tell us about it." Sarah said, with a teacher-like tone of voice.

"The subway? I mean, you sounded excited that day, so I guess it happened that same day. It was early morning, so you couldn't have gone far. Like, maybe the subway, or McDonald's. Or Starbucks? Nah, you seldom go there. Adam goes there because he works there, but..." Nathan covered his mouth and stopped talking.

"You need to tell us more. Can you elaborate?" Sarah asked, with the same teacher-like tone of voice.

"From 6 to 10 pm, Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays. From 8 am to 3 pm, Saturdays and Sundays. 239 Bleecker St."

"Sweet", Sarah said. "Thank you for your contribution. I know Melissa will refuse to take notes and her memory is kinda bad so I took notes myself." She gave me a sky blue post-it. "Here you have, and I'll keep this one just in case you lose that one".

"O-kay... Thank you, I guess", I said.

"If you feel like going there and you don't remember the address, please remember you can always message me and I'll give you the address. Or you can come over and I'll take you there. Any excuse is valid", Nathan said, politely.

"Wow! Thank you!" Sarah said. "Why are you so willing to help? I mean, it's not like I'm complaining, but..."

"I'll tell you the truth. Adam is so emo. Always listening to sad songs, writing angsty lyrics, and I'm sick and tired of it. If being with Melissa cheers him up, I guess I won't have to deal with his emoness anymore. Unless she's emo as well... Are you emo?"

"No, of course not, that's stupid. That's..." I started saying.

"The most stupid thing you can say." Nathan completed the phrase. "Yeah, I know. Adam says that as well, he's always denying it. I guess he hates the term. Only the term, because his tapes and jeans and hair tell me otherwise. Don't tell him I said that."

"I'll make damn sure he never knows about this", Sarah said. "Or maybe not. I don't know. It depends on how you behave."

"Hey!", Nathan said, pretending to be angry. Three seconds later, all of us started laughing.