Status: slowly updating

Rush Hour

XVIII: I hope you're happy

"Adam, would you drive our van today?"

"Eddie, trust me, you don't want him to drive", John said, with an infomercial voice.

"Why?" Eddie asked.

"He puts his music player on shuffle and..."

"And?"

"He keeps skipping songs. All the time. While he's driving."

"John's right", Adam said. "If you wanna stay alive, please don't let me drive, like, ever. I hate it and you'll hate it too."

"What do you suggest? Mark doesn't drive, I only slept two hours, John made Jesse quit, Antonio suddenly quit and I still don't know why... Melissa, do you drive?" Eddie asked, a little annoyed.

"Automatic."

"Shit", Eddie continued. "Adam, you have no choice."

"John! Please drive! I'll love you forever if you do!" Adam pleaded.

"Nope." John said. "I drove last time, and the time before that one."

"But you just told Eddie not to let me drive!" Adam complained.

"Melissa", John started. He took Adam's music player out of his pocket and gave it to me. "You'll be the one choosing, or skipping, songs. Don't you ever let Adam touch this device until he's out of this van, okay?"

"Okay."

****

This town was built on miles of hope
and I dare you to give one reason to stay
and maybe I won't go away.

I paused the song, Adam continued singing for five seconds, then he said "shit", and he shut up.

"Are you thinking what I'm thinking?" Eddie said, kind of singing.

"We should stop at the next gas station and get something to eat?" John replied.

"It's a good idea, but Adam... you need to be our singer!"

Adam remained silent for thirty seconds. "O... kay... I guess", he said, hesitant.

****

"Why did you do that?"

"What?"

"Pausing the song."

"I don't know, I just did it."

Adam glared at me.

"Don't worry, you'll be a great frontman. You said you wanted to sing better, right? You've got your electives, and now you'll have plenty of time to practice."

"But the bass..."

"Don't worry. Sarah's brother can do that. His band broke up like two weeks ago, I doubt he's found a new band in two weeks."

We took our plastic trays and approached the guys.

"Okay, I'm gonna sing", Adam said, sitting down. "But I won't drive again. I hate it. I really hate it. And John, before you start talking, remember you were going to sing but you refused, so you have no right to complain."

"Who told him?" John whispered. Mark started giggling. "It was you!"

"Sorry", Mark said.