Status: slowly updating

Rush Hour

XIX: I love comforting nihilism

"So what happened?" You might ask. Well, I think my surroundings can tell you, but I'll tell you anyway. This is Webster Hall. I've only been here twice: Last year, when I saw Jimmy Eat World. And now... I'm seeing Taking Back Sunday.

Believe it or not, I haven't seen them live since that time John invited us, back when Adam hadn't joined yet. Well, and they played a few songs in that party Facing New York organized. But I digress. I can't wait. I'm literally wandering backstage, mumbling nonsense. Waiting. Sarah and Nathan aren't here yet. Adam told them to enter through the back door, and sing the waffles song if someone tried to stop them. That's how I got here. His secret codes are weird, you know? He's probably asking us to sing the Meow Mix song next time.

I hear two familiar voices singing the waffles song and then an "okay, come in".

"So you're seeing your brothers play in front of a huge crowd, are you stoked?" I ask them.

"Wow, and I thought you were kidding when you told me!" Sarah says. "I'm glad I actually told Shaun about this."

"Finally!" Nathan says. "I was going to see Adam with his old band but they suddenly cancelled everything and disbanded. Let's see if he's still as terrible as he used to be!" I glare at him. "I'm just kidding, don't look at me that way. He's super rad and an expert in making lasagna."

"It feels weird to see you say good stuff about him" Sarah adds.

"It's usually the other way around, he says good stuff about you", I say.

"What?" Nathan asks, surprised.

"No, but really. That's how I realized you are brothers. He was talking about you a lot. He said you studied finance, and you were super nice and three years younger than him and stuff."

"Okay, here we go..." John says, leaving the restroom and drying his hands on his shirt.

"Please don't laugh at me, I'm trying my best. If I'm terrible at this, blame John, it's all his fault. He's a way better frontman than me", Adam says, leaving the restroom, as he pushes his fringe away from his face.

"We're all terrible, man. But we're having fun. That's all that matters", Eddie says. "Am I right?"

"We're having fun. And people have fun too. We're doing the exact same thing we used to do at all those small clubs and cafés. Just in front of more people. We're gonna be okay." Mark adds, reassuringly.

"We're starting in... thirty seconds", Shaun says, looking at his watch. "Dammit, I left my mac n cheese in the microwave oven!"

"No time for that. It turns off automatically anyway. Let's play the best show of our lives and then we'll go and eat something decent, like pizza or some stuff." Eddie says, as he playfully blocks the dressing room's door.

"Let's go... you guys can stand here", John says, pointing at the side of the stage.

"I bet you wouldn't be this enthusiastic if you were the frontman", Adam says, chuckling.

"Exactly. As a frontman, I'm a great cook, but still not as great as you. Let's go!" John replies, as the whole band runs to the stage.