Status: slowly updating

Rush Hour

XXIII: Call me hopeless, not romantic

"Hi Dad!" Adam said, shyly.

"Adam! What a surprise! I thought you were coming on Saturday!" Adam's father said, very stoked, hugging him.

"Phil, today is Saturday", I heard a voice, but I didn't know from where.

"Really? I thought it was Thursday. Anyway. Come in."

We entered and sat down on the ivory occasional chairs.

"And you must be Melissa", Adam's father continued.

"Yes, sir."

"Come on, call me Phil. I feel old when people call me sir!"

"Oh, okay... Phil."

"What's that noise? I can hear it from the backyard!" A gray-haired lady, with a strong Italian accent, asked as she approached us.

"Nonna!" Adam said, very excited. He immediately got up, ran to her, and hugged her.

"Adam! Che miracolo! Come stai?" Adam's grandma said, very happy.

"Molto bene, nonna, grazie."

"I know, dear. I saw you on TV last night." Adam's grandma added, sitting down.

"Really?"

"Yes. We all saw you." A black-haired lady said, approaching us and sitting beside Phil.

"Really, mom? On MTV?"

"Nope, on Fuse. That new video of yours is so cool. I'm sure it was your idea."

"Why? Fight Club?" Adam immediately asked, in the same tone I'd use to reply if someone told me something about kittens. "Yes, but the guys like that movie anyway, so it wasn't difficult to convince them."

"And how's Nathan?"

"He's been skipping tons of classes. As usual." Adam replied, faking a very serious expression, which didn't last long anyway. He chuckled and continued, talking really calmly. "Okay, not really. He's really smart and responsible. In fact, this lady beside me can tell you more about Nathan's assignments and performance. Am I right?"

"Yeah", I said, laughing a little bit. "I'm his classmate, and friend. And teammate. We're currently working on a project about investment criteria and capital rationing. We're going to present it very soon but I don't know if you'll be allowed to be there. Anyway, if you are, you're invited. If you are not, I can ask someone to record the whole thing, so you can see us in really fancy clothes, speaking about simple stuff with weird names."

"That'd be lovely", Adam's grandmother said, with a very sweet voice. "And we can get some gelato after we're done, you know, to celebrate. Please, Adam, tell your brother I'm really proud of him. Yes, and I'm really proud of you. I'm really proud of everyone right now. Hearing all those interesting stories of success makes me feel proud. It was all worth it."

"Nonna was born in Sicily. She and my grandfather moved to New York looking for opportunities. She loves and misses Sicily so much. She has a wooden box full of postcards, photos, letters, many cool things." Adam explained. "My dream is being able to afford a family vacation in Sicily, so she can tell us all those stories in the very places in which they happened."