Sequel: Library Hauls
Status: A little drabble

Bed Building

1.

“Piece of shit!” Groaning I rolled over pulling my pillow over my head trying to silence my neighbours voice, he had been at it since nine and it was now nearing 4am in the morning, I had been trying to sleep but as soon as I would start to drift off his voice would rip me out again and I would be left to try and get comfortable and fall back into a blissful state of sleep. “Fuck sake!”

Throwing my pillow off my head kicked my blankets back pulling myself up I ran my hand over my face as I got to my feet and grabbed a baggy jumper off my bed. Grabbing my keys and phone off my kitchen table I exited my room locking my door behind me. Taking about four steps I came to my neighbours door and knocked.

There was no movement for a few seconds before I heard footsteps coming toward the door and the sound of a chain moving before the wooden door was yanked open.

“Hi Austin…” his brows quirked when I said his name but he didn’t say anything instead he folded his arms across his chest. Sighing I spoke, “Are you alright in there? It sounds like you are having trouble with something.” the male head dropped and a gentle laugh fell from his lips.

“You could say that, sorry if I have been keeping you awake.” I shrugged my shoulders when truthfully I wanted to strangle him.

“Do you want some help? I don’t think I am gonna get any sleep until you have whatever you’re trying to do done.” the male shifted his weight on his feet his flaming hair falling in front of his face as he looked down at the cement flooring.

“I mean… if you want… I won’t say no.” his words were muffled.

“You have coffee yeah?” I asked, if I had to stay up all night helping him I am going to need some form of energy booster.

“Of course, I’m not a caveman,” his head shot up and looked at like I was crazy for asking such a ridiculous question. He stepped aside and I entered surprised at how plain his room looked, I didn’t really know what I was expecting from Austin but it was a little more than what I got.

“Right, so care to tell me what you were trying to do?” his cheeks flushed and he cleared his throat before mumbling something. “What?”

“I was trying to put a bed together,” he said louder, his cheeks now the colour of ripe tomatoes and his eyes were darting around the room. A small smile spread across my face.

“Let me guess, an IKEA bed?” Austin nodded his head. “Alright well I can help with that I have put plenty together… so where is it?” I questioned looking around the room unable to see it.

“It’s actually in my room.”

“Oh right… uhhh…” this time it was my turn to become shy, should I really be going into his room, it was his personal space it might seem like I am intruding.

“It’s okay, I need all the help I can get, I honestly can’t make heads or tails of the instructions. Follow me,” with that he walked around me and through the small living area until he came to a sectioned off room, the door was wide open I followed him inside and felt a wide grin spread across my face when I saw the posters that decorated his walls.

“Doctor Who fan?”

“Is it obvious?” he called over his shoulder before stopping in front of a pile of planks.

“Just a little,” I giggled before stopping next to him and dropping to my knees grabbing the instructions and scanning over the paper. “I am more of a Sherlock fan myself.”

“I can see that,” he said, turning my head I saw him gently nodding as he thought about it, “Right let’s get this thing sorted,” he said dropping to his knees next to me his dark eyes flittering over to the piece of paper but I knew he had no idea what he was looking at.

“Alright let’s get started.”

So for the next hour, hour and a half we worked together talking, laughing and learning more about one and other, at some point my laughter became hysterical due to the lack of sleep which set Austin off several times throughout the hours we were doubled over laughing so hard our sides were hurting. I was certain that was why it took us so long to get the bed frame made.

Once it was made the two of us stood looking down at it smiles beaming across our faces, tear stains on our cheeks from the laughing fits but we had done it, now standing proudly in Austin’s room was a perfectly put together bed.

“So Nicola, how about that coffee?”

“That sounds amazing!” I smiled before stretching out my cramped body and following Austin out into the kitchen where he flicked the kettle on and grabbed two large mugs. “I have mine white with two sugars.”

“A sweet tooth,” he commented playfully as he placed the coffee into the mugs.

“You better believe it.” I said, since I had stopped working my tiredness suddenly hit me like a brick wall and I had to stifle a yawn. Even with this coffee I knew I was still going to sleep like a log as soon as I got back to my room. The good thing was that I had nothing on tomorrow so I could sleep all day.

“So no classes tomorrow?”

“Nope, no work either. I can make like a sloth and sleep all day,” a loud laugh ripped from his lips, he had a nice laugh and the way his eyes scrunched close and smile lines appeared around his lips was adorable. Austin was a nice looking guy and I could definitely see how most of the girls on the University campus found him attractive.

“You’re really funny.”

“I think that could also have something to do with the lack of sleep the two of us have had.”

“Maybe…” he turned and poured the coffee’s out before handing mine to me, wrapping my hands around the mug I allowed it to warm my cold hands. The two of us stood in silence for a while longer sipping out hot drinks before Austin broke it. “Uhm… when you wake up tomorrow do you maybe wanna grab a drink somewhere?”

Swallowing the hot liquid I tried my hardest to make sure it didn’t burn my oesophagus but I had no success.

“Uh… sure, I would like that.”

“Alright… I will give you my number and you can shoot me a message when you wake up,” with that he began to scurry around looking for a pen.

“Here,” I handed him my phone and watched as he quickly added his number into my contacts before handing it back. Quickly I shot him a message so he had my number as well.

“Shall we retire to the lounge room?”

“Sure… but I can’t promise I will stay awake once I get on a comfy chair.” he laughed lightly as we walked into the lounge room, I took a seat feeling my body sink into the cushions. Instantly my eyes felt heavy. I continued to sip my coffee but before I knew it I was beginning to drift off.

“Good night Nicola,” I heard his voice vaguely, it was far away. I heard myself sigh before I was swallowed by my dreams.
♠ ♠ ♠
New little one shot, something quick i pumped out to try and get some writing done and break my slumpiness.

Cheers Esther :)