Ship of Dreams

The Titanic

April 10, 1912

This was it. This was the day we are going to sail in the Titanic to America. I watched as the door of our Renault opened and my sister, Rose hold her hand out, and the driver took her hand to help her out.

I climbed out right after she was out of the way and looked up at the grand ship that sat at the dock. The Titanic. It was really incredibly beautiful.

"I don't see what all the fuss is about. It doesn't look any bigger than the Mauretania," Rose said. I rolled my eyes at it, she was always been hard to impress.

My sister's fiancé, Caledon climbed out from the other side and glanced at my sister, "You can be blase about some things, Rose, but not about Titanic," He said, "It's over a hundred feet longer than Mauretania, and far more luxurious. It has squash courts, a Parisian cafe . . . even Turkish baths."

He turned and hold his hand out for my mother. She took it and climbed out as he spoke to her, "Your daughter is much too hard to impress, Ruth."

I sighed softly, "You got that right," I muttered yet my sister heard me. She gave me a playfully hit on my arm, making me smile.

"So this is the ship they say is unsinkable," Mother said.

"It is unsinkable. God himself couldn't sink this ship," Caledon said before me, Rose and my mother walked to the other side.

"We'd better hurry. This way, ladies," Caledon said after he looked at his pocket watch. We walked past the health check that the other class have to go through, and we walked up the gang plank that lead to the ship.

As I walked first with mother, I glanced over my shoulder at Rose and knew what she felt; trapped. She didn't want to marry Caledon. She was forced to because the money was gone. After my father died last year, mother found out he left us with nothing.

But a girl who looked like Rose wouldn't have any problems finding a decent man to marry. She was beautiful; she had a red curled hair and lovely blue-green eyes. She looked like mother actually. I looked like father as I have brown hair and so did he.

I had a very close relationship with father while with my mother I was never close or good to impress. She always looked for something to scold me. Besides my close relationship with father, I had a close one with Rose, my sister always put me first instead. She always wanted the best for me while I always wanted the same for her. That was why I told her she shouldn't marry Caledon if she didn't love him and find someone better. But because of our mother, she didn't have a choice.

Our party boarded the luxurious ocean liner and we made our way down the halls until we found our room. It was really lovely with it's red brown walls and gold highlights. It was overall fit for royalty and to be honest I was fine with a second or third class room but that wasn't how Caledon travels.

There was a sudden jolt that shook the room, which meant that we started to move. I went from my room to the living room to see the servants moving around, placing our stuff in places while Rose was looking at one of her marvelous paintings.

"Is it this one, Miss?" Trudy, her maid asked.

"No, it had a lot of faces on it," Rose said.

I chuckled, walking in, "They all have too many faces on, sister. That's the beauty of it."

She chuckled, shaking her head before holding up a marvelous painting of people standing next to each other. "This is the one," She said.

"Would you like all of the out, Miss?" Another maid asked.

"Yes, we need a little colour in this room," Rose said, starting at the painting she was holding and I went to stand beside her, looking at the painting as well.

"Who painted them?" My maid, Julia asked.

"Picasso," I replied.

"God, not those finger paintings again," Caledon spoke from his spot at the doorway, "They certainly were a waste of money." He took a sip from his champagne and I rolled my eyes.

"The difference between Cal's taste in art and mine is that I have some," Rose said and I smirked.

"They're fascinating," I said, "Like being inside a dream or something."

"Mmm-mm," Rose hummed in agreement, placing a hand on my shoulder.

"There's truth but no logic," She added. "At least they were cheap," Caledon said, walking in.

I rolled my eyes and shared a look with Rose before she wrapped her arm around my shoulder, "Come along, sister, we have much more things to do," She said before leading me and our two maids out.