Status: Complete

Love and Pain

1/1

They say that love is one of the most exciting feelings to experience and it is for a while, until the only thing left is the tattered ruins of the heart that he trampled all over. They don't warn you about the pain... about the endless tears that are soaked up by the pillow you once shared with him and the hole that is left behind where he burrowed in so deep that you can feel the missing piece.

It starts out perfectly, he shows up holding an attractively arranged bunch of flowers and takes you out to dinner at a tiny restaurant that overlooks the beach. He tells you about his life and he intently listens to the select pieces of information that you decide to share, never pushing for more than you're prepared to give.

A few weeks pass and things are going great, you feel as though you're the luckiest girl in the world. He works hard and travels often, but for you that only makes things extra special. He tells you that you're beautiful, even when you've been crying and the mascara you spent ages getting right is leaving dirty trails down your cheeks.

There's passion in every kiss, an unspoken promise of safety as he wraps his arms around you and pulls you close into his embrace. Your blossoming romance slowly becomes the foundation on which you now build your life, discussing every big decision and sharing your deepest thoughts because you're no longer one... you're two.

He meets your friends and makes an instant good impression, which only makes your feelings for him grow stronger. You constantly hear comments such as 'that one's a keeper' and 'how did you manage to snag that one', but their comments don't really have an impact.

Six months on and he takes you to Paris for your anniversary, where he spoils you rotten. You visit the Louvre and take a cruise down the River Seine, where he holds your hand as if announcing to the people around that you're his. Dinner is in a restaurant situated within the Eiffel Tower and you swear that nothing could come between you, but you'll soon learn that that was a naïve thing to believe.

As time moves on, you begin to notice small changes in the way he acts and you have no idea what you did wrong. Although he still spends time with you, it's as though he's miles away and nothing can bring him back. His kisses no longer hold the same passion, his smile is a rare sight to see and when he holds you in the arms that were once your haven... the world remains a dark, dangerous place.

Over time, you realize that you hardly speak anymore and the only gift he leaves for you are dirty dishes from the meal that you spent hours cooking, but he hardly touched. Compliments that once made you feel alive, become insults that make you die inside, but you convince yourself that he's just stressed out from working so hard.

You go out of your way to make life a little easier for him, cooking him dinners that are left to go cold and giving him space to just breathe. Gradually, he drifts away and you don't understand what happened. There's an office party at his work and you go along with the intention of trying to fix all that is now broken, but what you find behind the closed doors of his office tears you to pieces.

Those hands that once fitted around yours so perfectly were now running along the bare sides of another, those lips that had kissed you gently were now ravaging another's exposed neck and the fire that once burned brightly for you was now raging for somebody new. Suddenly, it feels like the walls are closing in and all you want to do is get out.

You leave your coat hanging up in the building and the rain is pouring down around you, but nothing outside of what you just saw seems to register within your mind. You manage to dial the number of the only person that you want around and as you pour your heart out over the phone, he promises that everything is going to be okay.

You finally stop as your brother climbs out of his car and joins you under the heavens tears without hesitation, pulling you into his warm embrace. He sways you like he always does when you cry, whispering comforting words in your ear and holding you together in his arms.

They tell us all the good things that come with loving another, but there are no words that can prepare you for the pain and heartbreak that comes with the fallout. Then once you have cried him out of your system, you realize that, although scarred, your heart is still beating and although it doesn't seem like it... In time everything will be okay again.
♠ ♠ ♠
...