The Things That You Do

26: Do You Or Don’t You?

Blinking her eyes open sleepily, Alexa tossed onto her back, her ears filled with the distant sound of the doorbell. It wasn’t overly early, the clock which sat on the wall confided that it was a little after nine in the morning, but, with it being a Sunday morning, Alexa had been hoping to take advantage of the opportunity to lay in, even if it was just for a couple more hours, she had been looking forwards to spending a little while longer curled up beneath her duvet. Rubbing her eyes sleepily, she waited for a couple of seconds before the sound of the doorbell echoed again, causing her to let out a small groan before she hauled herself up to her feet, padding through the apartment towards the front door.

Pushing her hand back through her hair, she attempted to smooth out a few of the knots before she reached the front door, pulling it open to find Lionel stood outside, his hands stuck in his pockets. “Leo” she squeaked in surprise “I...I wasn’t expecting to see you. What are you doing here?” she posed.

She knew that he would be on his way back to Barcelona, after Argentina’s quarter final defeat at the hands of Germany a couple of days previous, she had doubted that he would wait too long before he found a flight back to the city, but she was surprised to see him outside of her door, even if a part of her was thrilled to see him. She had assumed that it would be a few more days before they saw each other.

Lionel shrugged, his stare not straying from his feet. “I got home last night” he noted “And I figured I could drop by and see if you wanted to go and get some breakfast, but if you’re busy, I can go. I know I didn’t give you much of a warning before showing up” he muttered.

Alexa watched him for a moment before she shook her head, offering him a small smile. “I haven’t got plans” she mused “So, why don’t you come inside? I’ll need a little while to take a shower and get dressed and I think you might be more comfortable waiting in here than out in the hall” she quipped playfully as she stepped out of the doorway, allowing him to step past.

Lionel offered her a half-hearted smile as he stepped past her, but he didn’t say anything, something which made Alexa sigh softly. She could see that he was upset, the way that his smile seemed a little forced screamed it, and she hated seeing it, even if it wasn’t a surprise. She didn’t like the idea that there was something getting him down. Watching him step past her, she gently reached out towards him, tugging him back slightly before she wrapped her arms around his neck, pulling him into a tight hug.

Lionel flinched, surprised by the sudden hug, but he didn’t hesitate in returning it, quickly tossing his arms around her waist.

Alexa smiled a little at the feel of his arms around her waist before she turned her head, pressing a soft kiss against his cheek. “I should go and take that shower” she mumbled softly “I’ll be right back and then we can go, OK?” she asked as she pulled back slightly, her blue eyes mirroring his darker ones.

Lionel held her stare for a second before he nodded, something which caused Alexa to lean in, pressing another swift kiss against his cheek before she padded away, ducking back into her bedroom. She knew that he was upset, with Argentina having stumbled at another hurdle, there was no way that he couldn’t be, but a small part of Alexa was thrilled to see him, even if it was a couple of weeks earlier than she had been hoping for. A part of her couldn’t wait to spend time with him.

~#~
“Leo?”

Lionel, who’d been quietly pushing his food around his plate, startled a little at the sound of Alexa’s voice before he lifted his head, offering her a slightly apologetic look.

It wasn’t the first time, since they’d sat down in the café that he’d chosen for breakfast, he had allowed silences to lapse over them more than once, and he felt bad for it. It hadn’t been his intention, when he had showed up at Alexa’s apartment, he had wanted to enjoyed spending the morning with her, but with Argentina’s defeat still weighing on his mind, it had been hard for him to focus, something which had led to him ignoring Alexa more than once. He knew that she was trying, since they’d sat down, she had tried hard to keep his mind away from the match, but it was futile, even if was grateful for her trying. He doubted that the sting of the defeat would wear off any time soon.

“Lo siento” he apologized softly “I drifted off again. What were you saying?” he asked.

Alexa offered him a soft look before she gently reached her hand across the table, slotting her fingers through his. “It doesn’t matter” she mused.

Lionel, who’d dropped his stare down towards their hands, shook his head, quirking a feeble smile. “I’m not much company right now, am I?” he quipped.

Alexa shrugged nonchalantly. “I’ve been out on worse dates” she teased.

Lionel breathed out a feeble laugh, something which caused Alexa to offer his hand a squeeze. “It’s OK” she enthused softly “I get it. If you just want to sit here quietly, that’s fine. I don’t mind” she insisted. She could see that he was distracted, since he had sat down, he had drifted in and out of their conversation more than once, but she didn’t mind, even if she had been looking forwards to catching up with him. She didn’t mind just sitting with him if that was what he needed her to do.

Lionel stared down at their hands for a second longer before he lifted them, allowing him to press a soft kiss against her warm skin. “Gracias” he mumbled against her skin.

Alexa shrugged, her cheeks blushing softly. “You did it for me” she pointed out.

Lionel, who’d moved to turn her hand over, pressed a soft kiss against her palm, allowing a silence to settle over the two of them for a brief moment before he lifted his eyes, looking up into hers. “Do you have any vacation coming up?” he posed.

Alexa tilted her head, a frown on her lips. “Why?” she posed.

Lionel smiled. “Do you or don’t you?” he posed.

“I’ve just finished my latest design project” Alexa noted “And I still have about a week of vacation days saved up. I’d have to talk to my boss about when I could take them, why?” she posed curiously.

Lionel shrugged. “I’ve got a few weeks before I am going to be due back” he noted “And I was thinking of taking a trip. Would you like to come with me?” he asked.

Alexa blinked a couple times, surprised by his question, before she tilted her head. “You want me to go on vacation with you?” she asked, her voice caught between curious and incredulous.

Lionel shook his head, amused by the tone of her voice, before he shrugged. “You don’t have to” he quipped “I mean, I get why you might not want to, but I think it could be fun” he noted. He knew why she was so surprised, with the two of them having only just begun to date, the prospect of taking a vacation together was one which appeared a big step forwards, but still he wanted to put the idea forwards, even if Alexa did insist that it was too early for the two of them to be thinking about it. He liked the idea of the two of them getting away for a few days together.

Alexa offered him a look, something which made Lionel chuckle. “If it’s a no, it’s OK” he insisted “I’m not going to hold it against you, Alexa” he added.

Alexa rolled her eyes at his teasing. “You really think it could be fun?” she posed.

Lionel nodded. “I don’t see why not” he noted “I mean, I’d get us separate rooms of course, but we could just take a few days to relax. We could spend some time at a beach, go out sightseeing and to dinner. I think it sounds pretty good, but if you don’t, it’s fine. It’s just a suggestion” he enthused warmly.

Alexa glanced at him, briefly mulling over his offer, before she shook her head, a soft smile appearing on her lips.

“You’re smiling” Lionel pointed out.

“I am” Alexa teased.

“Is that a good thing?” Lionel posed.

Alexa let out a small laugh before she nodded her head gently. “It could be fun” she noted, fiddling with the bracelet she wore around her wrist “I mean, I’d have to talk to my boss, but I think it’s doable” she babbled.

Lionel offered her a small reassuring smile before he pushed himself up slightly, moving to press a soft kiss against her cheek as he mumbled a few reassuring words in her ear. He knew why she was nervous, the idea of the two of them taking a vacation together was one which was slightly scary, but he wanted to do it, even if it was soon. He wanted to take the opportunity to spend some time alone with her, something they’d only done fleetingly since they’d decided to give their relationship a shot.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to mslou1, FootieJo and Jayme112234 for the comments :)