The Things That You Do

40: Are You Thinking What I’m Thinking?

Sparing a quiet yawn into his hand, Lionel flipped the page of the newspaper which sat ahead of him, enjoying the quiet which filled Alexa’s kitchen. It wasn’t unexpected, with Alexa having taken the day off of work to celebrate her birthday, he wasn’t at all surprised that she had opted to spend a little while longer curled up in bed, and whilst he had been tempted to stay with her, he had opted to get out of bed, wanting to get a few things in order before she woke up. He knew that she didn’t want much of a fuss, whenever the topic of her birthday had arisen, Alexa had been quick insist that she didn’t want him to make too big a deal of it, but he wanted to make a little fuss, even if he had been careful not to go too over the top. He didn’t want the day to slip past without it being marked.

Allowing another soft yawn to fall out of his mouth, he scanned the page ahead of him before the sound of footsteps reached his ears, causing him to look over his shoulder, his dark eyes watching as Alexa padded into the room, rubbing her eyes tiredly. Watching her for a second, he found himself smiling, before he pushed himself up, taking a couple of steps towards where she had stopped beside the fridge. “I wasn’t expecting you to be up for a little while yet” he quipped warmly.

Alexa, who’d been trying to wake herself up, blinked a couple of times at the sound of his voice before she shook her head, offering him a small sleepy smile. “I was starting to wonder where you were” she mused “I thought maybe you’d ducked out without saying goodbye” she added.

Lionel marveled at her sleepy smile for a moment before he shook his head. “I woke up a little while ago and I thought I’d leave you to it, seeing as it is your birthday and all” he mused warmly.

Alexa lifted a playful eyebrow. “You didn’t forget about it again?” she teased.

Lionel offered her a small playful glare before he shook his head, moving to press a soft kiss against her cheek. “Happy birthday, Alexa” he murmured softly, his lips lightly brushing against her skin.

Alexa’s cheeks warmed slightly at the feel of his lips, something which caused her to smile sheepishly. “Gracias” she mused.

Lionel looked at her for a moment, not missing the shyness in her expression, before he gently took a hold of her hand, slotting his fingers through hers. Smiling a little at the fit of their fingers, he lifted her hand and kissed it softly before he guided her towards the kitchen table, showing off the pretty bouquet of flowers which sat in the centre of it, a card and a neatly wrapped present perched against it. “You said no fuss, right?” he quipped boyishly.

Alexa spared a light laugh at his joke before she stepped forwards, lightly brushing her fingers over the petals of the flowers. “You remembered that I prefer lilies?” she posed, sparing him a soft look over her shoulder.

Lionel shrugged nonchalantly. “We have been friends for a few years, and dating for a few months, I’d like to think that some of the stuff you tell me sticks in my head” he quipped.

Alexa rolled her eyes playfully before she turned back towards the table, collecting the neatly wrapped gift which was propped up on the vase. Pulling a little at the paper, she tore it open slightly before she slipped out the content, smiling a little at the sight of the new watch that she had pointed out to him a couple of months previous.

“You should look at the back of it” Lionel encouraged gently.

Alexa, who’d been studying the watch, offered him a small glance before she slipped the watch out of its box, flipping it over to reveal the simple ‘I love you’ engraving which had been etched into the back.

“I didn’t really know what to put” Lionel babbled self-consciously.

Alexa, who’d been admiring the engraving, shook her head before she looked up slightly, offering him a warm smile. “It’s beautiful, Leo” she insisted “I love it” she added.

Lionel offered her a dubious look, something which made Alexa giggle before she stepped towards him, pressing a quick kiss against his lips. “Thank you” she mumbled between light kisses. Lionel held onto her for a couple of seconds, kissing her happily, before the sound of a phone in the distance snipped into their ears, causing them to pull apart reluctantly.

“That’s going to be Poppy reminding me about breakfast” Alexa mused, lightly pushing her fingers back through his dark hair.

Lionel, who’d leant into her hand slightly, nodded. “I won’t keep you” he replied “But we are still on for dinner tonight, aren’t we?” he added.

Alexa nodded before she leant into him, sneaking another kiss. “Of course” she quipped “I can’t wait” she added before she bounced out of the room.

Lionel smiled after her. “Neither can I” he fussed happily to himself.

~#~
“You enjoyed dinner, didn’t you?” Lionel asked shyly as he held onto Alexa’s hand, gently leading her a few paces along the beach that he had taken her to on their way back. It had been a good night, after the two of them had headed out for dinner, they’d stopped by the ice cream shop that they’d visited on their first date before they’d headed to the beach, and Lionel was keen to make sure that Alexa had enjoyed herself, even if he was almost certain that she had. A small part of him wanted to hear her say the words out loud.

Alexa, who was happily walking along the sand, smiled a little at the tone of his voice before she nodded. “It was lovely” she mused “The whole night has been. You did a pretty great job, Leo” she enthused, offering his hand a soft squeeze.

Lionel smiled bashfully. “I tried” he noted.

Alexa’s smile widened a little at his words before she gently leant up, pressing a soft kiss against his cheek before she stepped away, a soft yawn tumbling out of her mouth.

Lionel watched her yawn before he quirked a small smile, shifting his arm so that it sat around her waist. “Your place or mine?” he posed.

Alexa shrugged before she cuddled into his side a little. “I’m good either way” she quipped “I mean, I’ve left more than one change of clothes at your place, and you’ve got more than one at mine. Whichever is easier for you” she added, stifling another yawn in her hand.

Lionel scoffed playfully before he shook his head. “Your stuff is everywhere at my place” he pointed out “It’s practically like you live there” he added.

Alexa snorted. “You’re one to talk” she retorted playfully “I can’t remember the last time that I cleared up the clothes from my bedroom without finding a pair of your socks or one of your shirts” she added.

Lionel squeezed her waist softly. “You say it like it’s a bad thing” he noted, pressing a soft kiss against her temple.

Alexa peeked up at him. “I kind of like it” she admitted softly.

Lionel met the stare of her blue eyes, allowing a silence to pass between them briefly, before he quirked a small smile, something which made Alexa smile sheepishly in return. “Are you thinking what I am thinking?” he posed.

“That depends” Alexa replied “Are you thinking about asking me if I’d be interested in the two of us moving in together?” she posed, her voice caught between teasing and nervous.

Lionel spared her a sheepish look before he nodded, rubbing the back of his neck shyly. “I’m thinking about it” he noted “But, if you don’t want me to ask...” he trailed off uncertainly. He knew that it was big topic, the prospect of moving in together was a big step forwards for their relationship, and he didn’t want to push the conversation too far, not wanting to make things uncomfortable between the two of them.

Alexa hesitated for a second before she shook her head. “I think it makes sense” she mused.

“You do?” Lionel asked.

Alexa nodded. “I know it is pretty early” she mused “I mean, we’ve only been dating for six months, but we’ve known each other for a long time and I don’t think it’s the worst idea in the world. We spend most nights together anyway” she added, fiddling with the strap of her watch nervously.

Lionel watched her for a few seconds, allowing her words to hang around them, before he stepped towards her, his hand gently cupping her cheek so that he could guide her stare to meet his. “Are you saying what I think you’re saying?” he asked quietly.

Alexa offered him a shy smile before she nodded. “I think so” she mused “I think I’m saying that I’d like us to move in together” she added.

Lionel grinned at her words before he leant into her, pressing a soft kiss against her lips.

Alexa giggled at his enthusiasm before she pulled away, lightly brushing their noses together. “Is that a yes?” she teased quietly.

Lionel nodded. “It’s a yes” he grinned.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to FootieJo and Jayme112234 for the comments :)