The Things That You Do

46: Someday

Ensuring that the door to his hotel bedroom was closed, Lionel sat down on the bed, his eyes fixed on the screen of his tablet as he awaited the phone call that Alexa always made before he played a game. It was a routine of theirs, with his schedule having picked up again after the New Year, and hers as busy as ever, they’d had a little difficulty getting much time alone, but he always looked forwards to her call, even if it was often a short one which she used merely to wish him luck. He liked the fact that she never failed to make it. Shuffling up the bed, he rested against the headboard before he perched the tablet against his knees, smiling a little as the screen lit up with Alexa’s name.

Grinning to himself, he accepted the call, allowing the screen of his tablet to be filled with an image of Alexa as well as her niece who sat beside her, glancing at the screen eagerly. “Leo!” Ariana squeaked excitedly.

Lionel blinked a couple of times, slightly surprised to see Ariana, before he smiled, offering the camera a small wave. “Hola, Ariana” he greeted “I wasn’t expecting to see you” he added, sparing a subtle look towards Alexa, wordlessly asking what was going on.

Alexa caught onto his look before she quirked a small smile, shyly pushing a few stray hairs behind her ear. “Aria, why don’t you go and find Adrian?” she posed “I’d like a couple of seconds to talk to Leo” she added.

Ariana glanced up at her, a pout on her features. “Can I come back and say goodbye?” she asked.

“Of course” Alexa replied “I just want to have a word with him. I’ll call you back when I am about to say goodbye, Ok?” she posed.

Ariana seemed to think about the offer for a moment before she nodded, quickly departing from her aunt’s side.

Lionel watched the little girl dart away from the camera before he tilted his head, catching Alexa’s eye. “Something you forgot to mention?” he quipped, a playful smirk pulling at his lips.

Alexa noted the smirk and rolled her eyes before she shook her head. “It’s Marco and Isabel’s anniversary” she noted “And since Antonio was born, they’ve not had a complete night off to themselves, so, I offered to watch the kids overnight. I could have sworn that I mentioned it to you the other day after Marco called me to confirm” she added.

“You didn’t” Lionel chirped playfully.

Alexa offered him a playful glare before she shook her head. “You’re alright with them staying over, right?” she posed “I mean, I know that Antonio’s only a few months old, but Marco and Isabel both insist that he’s a very good sleeper” she babbled.

Lionel smiled a little at the tone of her voice. “Alexa, it’s fine” he noted.

Alexa shook her head. “Good” she noted “Because it’s a little late now. I am not going to be held responsible for ruining my brother’s anniversary plans” she added with a coy smile.

Lionel let out a small laugh before the sound of a light tap against the bedroom door filled his ears, causing him to let out a soft groan, something which made Alexa giggle. “You have to go, don’t you?” she posed amusedly.

Lionel, who’d been watching Luis duck his head into the room, spared a small glance towards the camera before he nodded. “I’m afraid so” he noted “But I shouldn’t be home too late. I should see you before you head to bed” he added.

Alexa, who’d moved to call to Ariana, nodded. “I’ll see you then” she mused “Good luck tonight, mi amor” she added.

Lionel’s face lit up a little at the nickname before Ariana appeared on the screen, waving to him enthusiastically. “Adios, Leo” she mused.

“Adios, Ariana” Lionel replied, returning her wave.

“And Auntie Alexa” Ariana pointed out quickly.

Lionel laughed gently before he nodded. “Of course, I wouldn’t forget your aunt” he mused “Adios, Alexa” he added.

“I’ll see you later” Alexa replied warmly before she hung up the call, allowing him to slip the tablet back into his bag before he pushed himself up to his feet, his eyes settling on Luis who stood in the doorway, a teasing smirk perched on his lips.

“Don’t say anything” Lionel warned as he stepped past him.

Luis raised his hands playfully. “I wouldn’t dream of saying anything” he teased.

Lionel rolled his eyes, but couldn’t keep the small smile off his face, something which made Luis clap his shoulder, wordlessly telling him how happy he was to see that things between him and Alexa seemed to be working out.

~#~
Softly pulling the door closed behind him, Lionel spared a quiet yawn into his hand, his ears filled with the quiet which seemed to fill the entire house. It was late, with the team’s flight back to Barcelona having been slightly delayed, it had taken him longer than he thought it would to get home, but he was glad that he had finally made it. He was more than ready to climb into bed. Sparing another soft yawn into his hand, he moved to hang up his jacket and slip out of his trainers before he locked the door, quietly making his way up the stairs.

Ensuring that he was quiet, he padded through the hallway before he gently nudged his bedroom door open, his eyes quickly settling on Alexa who was sat up against the headboard, cooing softly to Antonio who was settled in her arms, his big blues eyes blinking tiredly.

Stopping in the doorway, he allowed his eyes to survey the scene ahead of him before he felt a smile pulling at the corner of his mouth. It wasn’t something they’d talked a lot about, with both him and Alexa keen to be cautious with the pace of their relationship, he knew that the prospect of marriage and children was a long way off for the two of them, but he couldn’t help but smile a little at the sight of her with Antonio, noticing just how comfortable she looked with the little boy in her arms.

Gently resting his weight against the door frame, he watched them for a moment longer before he cleared his throat, something which caused Alexa to jump before she looked up, a small smile appearing on her face. “I didn’t hear you come in” she noted.

“I was trying to be quiet” Lionel replied “The flight back got delayed and I didn’t want to wake anyone up. I wasn’t expecting you to be awake” he added.

Alexa shrugged before she turned, looking down at Antonio. “He’s not used to the travel cot” she noted “He’s been a little fussy, but he’s almost asleep. I don’t think he’ll disturb you too much” she added, gently smoothing out the tufts of dark hair which sat on the top of Antonio’s head.

Antonio let out a small snuffle, his blue eyes briefly opening, but he settled quickly, something which made Alexa smile down at him briefly before she lifted her head, peeking towards Lionel who watched them, a fond smile on his face. “What are you thinking?” she prodded quietly.

Lionel looked up at the sound of her voice before he shook his head, a small smile on his lips. “Nothing” he mused.

“You’re a bad liar” Alexa countered warmly.

Lionel laughed gently. “It’s really nothing” he insisted.

Alexa scoffed playfully. “Liar” she repeated.

Lionel let out another laugh, one that sounded slightly nervous, before he shook his head. “It’s a good look” he noted “You and a baby, it...it’s nice to see” he babbled, his eyes meeting hers fleetingly before they dropped back towards his feet.

Alexa was quiet for a moment, allowing his admission to fill the air, before she tilted her head, smiling up at him shyly. “Yeah?” she posed.

Lionel caught her smile before he nodded, returning it shyly. “You’re going to make an amazing madre someday, Alexa” he mused warmly before he leant towards her, pressing a quick kiss against her cheek before he stepped towards the bathroom.

Alexa watched him duck into the bathroom before she flicked her attention back towards Antonio who slept contently in her arms, a small part of her hoping that ‘someday’ was sooner rather than later.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Jayme112234 and FootieJo for the comments :)