The Things That You Do

58: He Needed A Nudge In The Right Direction

Adjusting the waist of her skirt, Alexa spared a glance towards the mirror, quietly studying her appearance. It had always been the plan, with Barcelona’s season having reached its end, she and Lionel had always intended to head to the party that was being held to celebrate it, and whilst she was looking forwards to it, a small part of her simply wanted to crawl into bed, a little tired after the match. It had been a good one, despite the fact that they had lost the title to Real Madrid a few weeks previous, Barcelona had been keen to sign off the season in style, and Alexa was pleased that she had been there, even if it had left her a little exhausted. She didn’t regret going for a second, especially since she had been there to see Lionel score a hat-trick.

Gently adjusting the waistband around her bump, she spared a slightly cautious glance towards the mirror before the sound of footsteps reached her ears, causing her to turn slightly, her blue eyes watching as Lionel ducked into the bedroom, stepping towards the foot of the bed to retrieve the jacket that he’d left there. “Are you nearly ready to get out of here?” he asked, not lifting his head.

Alexa, who’d turned back towards the mirror, allowed his question to hang in the air for a few seconds before she turned to look at him, her expression soft. “Do I look huge to you?” she asked quietly.

Lionel, who’d been studying a text on the screen of his phone, blinked a couple of times, surprised by her sudden question, before he lifted his head. “Huh?” he spluttered.

“I felt OK” Alexa clarified “Earlier, I felt pretty good, but in this outfit...do I look huge?” she babbled softly.

Lionel looked at her for a split second before he shook his head, a soft smile pulling at the corner of his mouth. It wasn’t the first time that she had been a little self-conscious, ever since her bump had begun to show, she had been slightly nervous about her appearance from time to time, and it made him smile a little, even if he knew that it was something that played on her mind. It was rare to see her be shy. “You don’t look huge, Alexa” he mused, his voice warm and reassuring.

“Are you sure?” Alexa posed “I mean, I know we’re cutting it pretty fine, but I...”

“You look amazing, Alexa” Lionel interrupted with a warm smile “I think you always look amazing” he added.

Alexa spared him a slightly uncertain look, her cheeks tinting a gentle shade of pink, before she quirked a small smile. “Always?” she quipped “Even first thing in the morning?” she asked teasingly.

Lionel scoffed playfully. “Especially first thing in the morning” he played along.

Alexa spared a light laugh before she stepped towards him, pressing a brief kiss against his lips. “Good answer” she mused.

Lionel smiled at her affectionately before he gently lifted his hand, tucking a few of her blonde hairs off of her face. “You are still sure that you want to come tonight, aren’t you?” he asked “I mean, it’s been a long day, and with bump, I don’t think anyone would hold it against you if you just wanted to hang out here. I’ll only be a couple of hours” he added as he leant forwards, resting his forehead against hers.

He wanted her to be there, even despite the fact that they’d been dating for almost a year, they hadn’t spent a lot of time with his friends as a couple, but whilst he wanted her there, he didn’t want to put too much on her, something which had led to him offering her the opportunity to duck out. He knew that she was tired, since he had found her after the match, she had been stifling her yawns into her hand, and he wanted to offer her the chance to stay home, even if he did want her to be there with him.

Alexa, who’d closed her eyes, smiled a little at his fussing before she blinked them open. “You’re fussing again” she pointed out teasingly.

Lionel let out a small laugh before he bumped their noses together. “I know” he mused happily.

Alexa lightly brushed her nose against his before she pressed a briefly kiss against his lips. “Come on” she muttered “Let’s get out here. The sooner we show up, the sooner I can come home and curl up in bed” she added as she pulled away, padding towards the door with Lionel in close pursuit.

~#~
“How far along are you now, Alexa?” Gerard posed as he slipped into the seat opposite the blonde, placing the glass of orange juice that she had ordered down onto the table ahead of her.

Alexa, who’d been nibbling on an appetizer, jumped at the sound of the Spaniard’s voice before she quirked a small smile. It had been a good night, even despite her tiredness, Alexa had enjoyed spending time with Lionel and his friends, and she was glad that she had gone with him, even if a small part of her was merely counting down the minutes that stood between her and her bed. She was glad that she hadn’t accepted his offer to stay at home.

“I’m sorry” she noted “I was in a world of my own. What did you say?” she posed, lifting her glass with a thankful smile.

“I asked how far along you are now” Gerard repeated warmly “You’re still a little away from the baby arriving, right?” he asked.

Alexa nodded. “I’m just about six months gone” she mused “We found out that it was a little boy a few weeks ago” she fussed.

Gerard smiled, not missing the warmth in her voice, before he nodded. “I know that” he mused “Do you honestly think that Leo would have shut up about that?” he quipped teasingly.

Alexa rolled her eyes playful shook her head. “He’s not that bad” she mused “Is he?” she asked.

Gerard feigned thought for a moment, a playful smirk on his lips, before he shook his head. “He’s excited” he noted “And it’s understandable. You two are having a baby, that’s a huge deal, and he’s excited about it. Nobody can blame him for that” he explained.

Alexa smiled a little, her hand subconsciously rubbing against her bump, but she didn’t say anything, something which made Gerard’s smile widen a little before he gently nudged her side. “He’s crazy about you” he mused gently.

Alexa breathed out a bashful laugh. “You’re just saying that” she quipped.

“I’m not” Gerard replied “He’s crazy about you, Alexa, and it’s obvious. It’s been obvious for a long time” he added.

Alexa shook her head. “Gerard...”

“Everyone saw it, Alexa” Gerard interjected “The way he looks at you, the way he’s always looked at you...he just needed a nudge in the right direction” he added warmly. He knew what she was going to say, she was going to insist that Lionel hadn’t always had feelings for her, but Gerard knew that it wasn’t true, even if Lionel hadn’t quite been aware of it. The way that he’d always looked at her spoke volumes.

Alexa blinked a couple of times, surprised by his interruption, before she shook her head. “Did I ever thank you for the text you sent?” she posed.

Gerard shrugged. “I don’t think so” he noted “But you don’t have to. You two are happy and that’s pretty great to see” he added.

Alexa smiled a little at his words before she gently reached over, offering him a tight hug. “Gracias, Geri” she fussed quietly.

Gerard hugged her back tightly before he took a pace back, an impish expression dancing across his face. “You know” he quipped “If you and Leo are looking for baby names, Gerard’s a pretty great choice” he joked.

Alexa laughed warmly, quipping a playful comment about considering it, before she spotted Lionel over his shoulder something which caused her to excuse herself, scurrying over towards him before she pulled him into a soft hug. Gerard watched the two of them interact, not missing the loved-up grins on their faces, before he smirked to himself, more than glad he had given them both a nudge in the right direction.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to FootieJo for the comment :)