The Things That You Do

59: Look At Him

Leaning against the kitchen counter, Alexa spared a quiet yawn to herself, her hand gently rubbing against her stomach as she tried to ease the pain which rippled through it. It was early, the fact that the sun had yet to rise confided to her that it was still the early hours of the morning, but she doubted that she was going to get much more sleep, even if a large part of her wanted nothing more than to merely curl up beneath the duvet. She had little doubt that the ripples of pain would prevent it. She knew what it was, with her due date a little under a week away, she was pretty confident that the pains were the start of her contractions, and it was a thought that made her smile, even if she was more than slightly nervous. She couldn’t wait to set her eyes on her little boy for the first time.

Tracing small circles against her stomach with her thumb, she closed her eyes for a few seconds before she felt a fluid sensation gush down her legs, something which caused her to let out a shrill squeak in surprise. She knew that it was coming, with the pains getting stronger and more frequent, she had known that it was only a matter of time before her waters broke, but still it had caught her off guard. She had assumed that she still had a little while to go before she needed to disturb Lionel.

Staring blankly at the puddle which had formed on the floor for a few seconds, she swallowed thickly before she pushed herself off of the counter, waddling out of the room and towards the stairs. Moving as quickly as she could, she reached the top of the stairs before she padded into the bedroom, her blue eyes quickly settling on Lionel who laid on his side of the bed, his soft snoring filling the air.

Shuffling around the bed, she placed her hand against his shoulder before she offered it a light shake. “Leo” she murmured softly “Leo, amor, I need you to wake up. We’ve got a situation” she added, her hand still gently bumping against his shoulder.

Lionel stirred at the feel of her hand, a few incoherent mumbles falling out of his mouth, before he blinked his dark eyes open, a frown slowly stretching across his lips. “What?” he grumbled sleepily.

“I’m sorry for disturbing you” Alexa mused “I know it’s early, but I thought that you ought to know that...that my waters broke” she stumbled out.

Lionel, who’d moved to sit up slightly, blinked a few times before he tilted his head. “What?” he spluttered.

“You didn’t hear me?” Alexa teased, a small smile pulling at the corner of her mouth.

Lionel breathed out a small awed laugh before he shook his head. “I think I did” he noted “But just in case I did hear you wrong, do you think you could repeat it for me?” he added with a sleepy half-smile.

Alexa scoffed playfully before she gently reached out, taking a hold of hand. Offering him a soft smile, she settled his palm against her bump before she looked up, her blue eyes mirroring his brown ones. “My waters broke about five minutes ago” she repeated “And that means, regardless of the fact that it is two in the morning, you need to get up. I need you to get me to a hospital so that I can push our son into the world” she mused, her thumb lightly skimming over the back of his hand.

Lionel watched the movement of her thumb for a moment, allowing her words to settle in, before he quirked an awed smile. “He’s really coming?” he posed.

Alexa nodded. “He is” she replied gently “And that means I need you to get up. I’d like to get to a hospital sooner rather than later” she added.

Lionel stared up at her for a moment, more than a little awed by the prospect of their little boy arriving, before he pushed himself up to his feet, a wide smile stretching across his face. “He’s coming” he fussed “He’s really going to be here soon” he added before he leant down, pressing a quick kiss against Alexa’s cheek. Flashing her another quick smile, he kissed her forehead gently too before he quickly padded across the room, something which made Alexa smile quietly to herself, more than a little excited by the idea that they were possibly only a few hours away from meeting their son for the first time.

~#~
“Can I stop yet?” Alexa spluttered as she rested back against her pillow, her blue eyes peeking up pleadingly towards Lionel who stood at her side, gently dabbing her warm forehead with a damp cloth. It hadn’t taken a long, after Lionel had gotten her to hospital, it hadn’t taken much longer than an hour for her to be moved to the delivery room, and she was glad that it was almost over, even if her labour hadn’t been too long. She was more than ready for it to be over with.

Lionel, who was stood at her side, offered her a sympathetic shake of his head. “Lo siento” he murmured “But you need to keep going. You’re close, isn’t she, Eva?” he posed, sparing a look towards the midwife who sat at the foot of the bed, checking Alexa over.

Eva looked up at the sound of her name before she nodded, a comforting smile on her lips. “I can see his head” she explained “And that means that you’re really close. You just need to keep pushing when the contractions come, Ok?” she fussed.

Alexa spared her a tearful look, preparing to reply, but she was cut off by a contraction, something which caused her to let out a loud groan before she shifted her hand, searching blindly for Lionel’s. “Leo” she whimpered tearfully.

Lionel quickly took a hold of her hand, allowing her to squeeze his in search of comfort. “I’m right here” he murmured “You’re doing amazingly, Alexa. I’m so proud of you” he fussed softly.

Alexa sniffled a little, her blue eyes staring up at him tearfully, before she let out another groan, pushing with everything that she had for as long as she could before she fell backwards, allowing the room to stand in silence for a few long seconds before the tiniest croaky cry filled the air. Lionel, who’d been cooing affectionately to Alexa, stilled at the small sound, not quite sure that he had heard it, before he tentatively turned, his brown eyes settling on Eva who sat at the foot of the bed, beaming up at him. “He...?” he spluttered.

“He’s here” Eva mused “And he seems to have a good set of lungs on him” she added, her smile widening as the baby let out another, louder, cry.

Lionel merely stared, unable to move his eyes away from the tiny infant that Eva was tentatively wrapping up in a towel.

Eva caught his eye and flashed him a warm smile before she padded around the bed, carefully extending the baby towards Alexa. “I think he might want to see his madre, Alexa” she cooed.

Alexa blinked tearfully before she carefully extended her arms, allowing Eva to place the little boy into them. Smiling tearfully, she lightly tucked the towel away from the baby’s face before she shook her head, her blue eyes peeking up at Lionel who had stumbled back to her side. “Look at him” she fussed giddily “Leo, we made him” she added.

Lionel simply stared, something which made Alexa giggle. “Aren’t you going to say something?” she quipped.

Lionel, who’d been quietly staring down at the baby, stood still for a fleeting second before he lifted his head. “Marry me” he breathe quietly.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to FootieJo for the comment :)